LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 16th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

I used carriage reins (as my mother calls them) for my kids. Better safe
than dashing into danger! Didn't work with twins tho. They raced off in
opposite directions, jerked both my arms and landed on their diapers! I wish
I'd thought of getting a Y-connector at the pet store, for walking 2 pets.
That would have solved the problem!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article et,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

You can. Mothers only have two hands and that is not enough to keep a
little one (or more) safe when shopping. We had a leash - it looked very
much like suspenders with a serious leash thing fixed to the back waist.
That way, I could be somewhat sure that he wouldn't dart into the path of
an
oncoming car or stray from my side. That was more than 50 years ago but
don't remember a single soul being anything but wanting to know where a
similar harness could be purchased. If anyone had accused me of cruel or
inhuman treatment, we would have bonked them with a spoon. Polly

Polly, I had the same leash for my two almost 30 years ago. Things had
changed enough by then, though, that people gave me dirty looks and told
me I was treating my DDs as though they were dogs. Hmmph! Better a
*safe* and leashed DD than one who could dart away and knock over a
display of glass vases, doing harm to herself as well as breaking the
vases! I wish more parents used those leashes to keep their children
safe. :S
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old June 16th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sandy Foster wrote:
In article et,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

You can. Mothers only have two hands and that is not enough to keep a
little one (or more) safe when shopping. We had a leash - it looked very
much like suspenders with a serious leash thing fixed to the back waist.
That way, I could be somewhat sure that he wouldn't dart into the path of an
oncoming car or stray from my side. That was more than 50 years ago but I
don't remember a single soul being anything but wanting to know where a
similar harness could be purchased. If anyone had accused me of cruel or
inhuman treatment, we would have bonked them with a spoon. Polly

Polly, I had the same leash for my two almost 30 years ago. Things had
changed enough by then, though, that people gave me dirty looks and told
me I was treating my DDs as though they were dogs. Hmmph! Better a
*safe* and leashed DD than one who could dart away and knock over a
display of glass vases, doing harm to herself as well as breaking the
vases! I wish more parents used those leashes to keep their children
safe. :S

10 years ago I had one for James. It fitted close round his wrist and
round mine at the other end and the length was adjustable. I was lucky
to get one: after the death of Jamie Bulger in February 1993, they were
in short supply. I think the one I have was passed on by my sister. It
has also done duty as an emergency dog lead, a luggage restraint, and
suspended tents from hooks to dry!

I usually got comments on the lines of' What a good idea!', and the only
time anyone made an adverse comment I replied that had Jamies Bulger's
mother used one on him he would still be alive today, and two 10 YO's
would never have turned into murderers.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 16th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

Oh, brother.

Anita, while you're arranging for this perfect world
where no one is ever upset, where children behave well in all
situations, where intolerance is catered to,
will you please do something about replacing the
idiots in D.C. with some really good quilt teachers?

And for those who really believe children are controllable,
that people who share the same space, breathe the same air
at the same time as children shouldn't be *bothered* by
those children: Stay Home!
Get over it. We all have to crowd onto this planet together.
Twit drivers and knuckleheads on cell phones are at least
as bothersome as kids, kids who can be taught some manners,
children who don't stand around glaring at rude adults
and making petty comments about "seen and not heard."

Grouchy, bitchy, twitchy grown-ups should probably stay at home
if they can't possibly endure a world where children behave
like children, and where some adults behave much worse. VBG

Several years ago I saw a sign near the front door of a shop,
hanging beside a row of metal hooks:
"Please place unruly children & adults who act like unruly children
on these hooks. You may retrieve them on your way out. Thank you."
VBG

Ragmop/Sandy-- still likes children on toast...
with a bit of blueberry jam

On 6/15/06 11:27 PM, in article
, "Irrational Number"
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:21:26 GMT, "Batik Freak"
wrote:

Yes, it does mean they are unruly. Why do you think that allowing your
children to roam and yell is ok? That's ridiculous. I don't go to a quilt
store to listen to a kid scream. If you can't control 'em, keep 'em at home
until you can. It's just not fair of parents to inflict their children on
others, period. People go out to stores and such to ESCAPE their children
sometimes, to have grown-up time for themselves. Other people just plain
don't like ill-mannered children. If you take them in public it is your
DUTY as a parent to keep them with you, quiet and well-behaved. This is the
way one behaves properly in public, and to allow otherwise is bad teaching.

Ah well, we can never go out again, then!
Pillbug emits a screech every now and then,
which is his way of communicating. If he
screams, of course we remove him. We have
done so many times. But, he's a kid. He
likes to roam around a store looking at
everything (of course, he's *never* out of our
sight), he doesn't touch anything, but every
now and then he sees something that excites
him and he gives a screech or two. The LQS
staff like to talk to DH while he's holding
Rocky and watching Pillbug, but we should not
be going if we will be bothering the other
customers.

-- Anita --

Old June 16th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now cell/mobile phones LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Hi Sandy, I downloaded it to my computer, but at the moment, I can't hear
myself think. They are removing the wood flooring in my entry to replace
warped boards and between the saw, vaccuum and the smoke alarm, well you get
the idea. LOL

Linda in Tx

Old June 16th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Leashing the kids (was LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.)

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message

Polly, I had the same leash for my two almost 30 years ago. Things had
changed enough by then, though, that people gave me dirty looks and told
me I was treating my DDs as though they were dogs. Hmmph! Better a
*safe* and leashed DD than one who could dart away and knock over a
display of glass vases, doing harm to herself as well as breaking the
vases! I wish more parents used those leashes to keep their children
safe. :S

I used to work for a man who had toddler triplets -- the leash was a life
saver (probably literally!) for them. When people used to tell him he was
cruel, he'd tell them he'd love to hear a great alternative. No one ever had
one.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old June 16th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We had a halter leash for DS when he was little. Worked great. For the
ones that think that's bad, imagine yourself walking with a huge tall giant
with your arm straight up for a period of time. I always feel so bad when I
see a child doing this. Their poor little arms must get very tired. With a
"leash" they can keep their arms in a normal position.
Gen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
You can. Mothers only have two hands and that is not enough to keep a
little one (or more) safe when shopping. We had a leash - it looked very
much like suspenders with a serious leash thing fixed to the back waist.
That way, I could be somewhat sure that he wouldn't dart into the path of

an
oncoming car or stray from my side. That was more than 50 years ago but I
don't remember a single soul being anything but wanting to know where a
similar harness could be purchased. If anyone had accused me of cruel or
inhuman treatment, we would have bonked them with a spoon. Polly

"NightMist" wrote, in part So far no public tantrums (touch wood),

though
I have wished we could just chain him to one of our waists or
something while we are out.

Old June 16th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In message , Don/Gen
writes
We had a halter leash for DS when he was little. Worked great. For the
ones that think that's bad, imagine yourself walking with a huge tall giant
with your arm straight up for a period of time. I always feel so bad when I
see a child doing this. Their poor little arms must get very tired. With a
"leash" they can keep their arms in a normal position.

And sometimes when they stumble (which toddlers do a lot) you can yank
them up in the air just in time and save them from landing on the floor.
--
M Rimmer

Old June 16th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

I used to work for a man who had toddler triplets -- the leash was a life
saver (probably literally!) for them. When people used to tell him he was
cruel, he'd tell them he'd love to hear a great alternative. No one ever had
one.

I love seeing kids in leading strings (as they used to be called). I
assume the parents care enough to want to keep the kids out of trouble.
Folks have been using the concept for hundreds of years.

-georg
Old June 16th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Anastasia,

I understand what you're saying. When my mom first began teaching, it
was okay to hug the kids--some days they need it. But later, she got
paranoid about it for the very reason you site--it can be misconstrued
and used against you. It's especially bad for the male teachers. In
fact over in Vegas a male high school teacher ****ed off a few girls
and they fabricated a story about inappropriate touching. His life was
turned upside down. He was suspended and fell into a deep depression
over the thought that someone could actually accuse him of doing
something inappropriate. He committed suicide shortly before an
investigation cleared him and the truth came out.

I'm not saying that there aren't ever any teachers who abuse their
position, but they are very few and far between compared to all the
dedicated ones. But the rules always cater to the lowest common
denominator.

Michelle

Teacher Gal wrote:
Re "teaching", Michelle said:

You couldn't pay me enough to do that job.

Funny. I'll take next to nothing. In a poor district. Trying to teach
teenagers Shakespeare.

But no one will hire me because I hugged a student and got fired for it.

Some of us REALLY want to do it, but it's administrators and parents who
want to demonize the TEACHER instead of the kids who keep us from being able
to do what we love.

Anastasia

--still a bit bitter.

Old June 16th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I had one for my DDs, who have consequently survived toddlerhood. I was
paying for something in a store once, and a mom walked by with her toddler
rigged up in the safety leash. The store clerk (not more than 20 or so)
turned to me and commented on evil mothers who treated their sweet little
babies like dogs. Obviously hadn't been much around small children!
Roberta in D

"Polly Esther" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
nk.net...
You can. Mothers only have two hands and that is not enough to keep a
little one (or more) safe when shopping. We had a leash - it looked very
much like suspenders with a serious leash thing fixed to the back waist.
That way, I could be somewhat sure that he wouldn't dart into the path of
an oncoming car or stray from my side. That was more than 50 years ago
but I don't remember a single soul being anything but wanting to know

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 06:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM