Applique Questions

Old May 2nd 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Applique Questions

If you have an appliqué foot use that. The front is open so you have
good visibility and the bottom back has space for all the stitching to
flow through easily. A buttonhole foot will work in a pinch. Make sure
you use good backing. Tear away (or coffee filters in a pinch, I'm sure
you have those!). Go slow and you should do find on curves. You might
want to do some practice to get the right stitch width and length. That
will be somewhat to your liking so go for what does the job and looks
good. A tad toward narrower is easier around curves than fat zig zags.
HTH Jan, Taria

Jan wrote:

I started my Quilt Diva quite some time ago, but it got put aside when it
came to actually sewing around the fused pieces. I just got so frustrated.
Then after watching the post card enthusiasts, I realized, there are some
experts out here. So.... the Quilt Diva is fused down, it's just the
sewing around the edges of fused pieces. Do you all have better luck with
one foot over another?? Are the secrets to staying on the curved lines??
What makes it easier or harder for you all? I really hope to finish her in
the next couple of weeks.... but I need guidance vbg literally.....

Old May 2nd 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Here's one:
http://www.janome.com/product_show.php?id=9
Google images for even more!
Another thing is to loosen the top tension or
increase the bottom a tad. Bernina's have a little
hole in the bobbin case arm that you can thread through
so it jsut increases the tension a tad for that kind of
thing but I don't think that will help you here.
Taria

Jan wrote:

Thanks Taria! I never thought about a stabilizer. I have been reading
all my manuals for 4 machines this morning.. and I don't think I have an
applique foot for any of them.... unless it's called something else as
well. I do have a zipper foot I was eyeballing :-) and I have quite a
few feet that I have no clue what to do with vbg can you tell I
mainly piece and do no garment sewing?? vbg I'll go look for a button
hole foot pic in hte manuals.... I think most of these have that auto
button hole thing going on though..... thanks!!

Old May 3rd 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Tue, 02 May 2006 14:07:49 GMT, Jan
wrote:

Thanks Taria! I never thought about a stabilizer. I have been reading
all my manuals for 4 machines this morning.. and I don't think I have an
applique foot for any of them.... unless it's called something else as
well. I do have a zipper foot I was eyeballing :-) and I have quite a
few feet that I have no clue what to do with vbg can you tell I
mainly piece and do no garment sewing?? vbg I'll go look for a button
hole foot pic in hte manuals.... I think most of these have that auto
button hole thing going on though..... thanks!!

Do you have a plastic see-through foot? That would work for applique
too.

If you don't have stabilizer handy you can use freezer paper ironed to
the back of your background fabric.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old May 4th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

hey Jan,
if u get too confuddled by all the different feet you've got, how about
taking some pix of them, upload the pix and let us know where we can see
them and maybe folks here can tell you what they are called and/or used for
on the machine.
you know now knowledgable rctq is eh.
cheers,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Jan" wrote...
Thanks Debra! I have several feet that might work. I'm going to finish
rippng out what I started and then try some stablizer and a few different
feet that I have fished out. Thanks!
--
Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

BOM Search Sewbaby Quilting 4 April 21st 06 07:00 PM
JANUARY'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 24 January 3rd 06 11:42 AM
DECEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 83 December 16th 05 02:03 AM
NOVEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 6 November 2nd 05 01:45 AM
Applique wreath questions :D nzl* Quilting 5 July 21st 03 04:34 PM