OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Old February 21st 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

that's what my Gramma called cobbler, blackberries mmmmmm...

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Though if it is cold enough that you want to run the oven, you put
your fruit in a baking pan and roll out the bicuits and put them on
top, bake til the biscuits are done, and call it a pandowdy.
Cream goes marvelous well with any of these fruit things.

NightMist

Old February 21st 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Nah, I eat mustard with my fries/chips I dip them into it and I prefer
spicy brown mustard, not that whimpy yellow stuff.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Dee in Oz wrote:
Okay what is catsup?
I Know ketchup is tomato sauce and grape jelly is grape jam, but catsup
?

As far as I know, it is an off tasting version of ketchup that
seriously needs more salt to it (at least anything *I've* ever tasted
that has said catsup rather than ketchup has been that way -- and
something I would rather by-pass than use, even if it means my fries go
naked)

Tricia

Old February 21st 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

you have obviously never had Coleman's

the Dutch think they cope well with mustard.. well they did till I
introduced them to Coleman's - and oh dear... I forgot to mention it was
rather hotter than they were used to so they all used a HUGE dollop on their
cheese

*snicker*

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old February 21st 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I like my tea strong with a lot of sugar. Sweet tea! :-)

I can't drink it without sugar. DH says it is the same reason I don't like
"his" wine. You know, that dry stuff that sucks all the moisture out of
your mouth.

Tannic Acid.

I like my wine to taste as much like Kool Aid as possible.

Cindy

Old February 21st 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

According to one of my stewards (who was a flight steward for the Queen) the
Royal protocol is to pour water straight from a "rolling boil" into the
warmed pot with tea leaves, and allow to brew for at least 2 minutes. The
tea should be poured within 5 minutes, always into an empty cup. Any milk,
sugar and lemon is added after.

I saw a programme recently by a royal butler who gave this description
of the Queen's tea. Apparently she actually does it all herself. The
milk bit is the way the Queen does it - everyone else puts the milk in
first!!

As most people here seem to use semi-skimmed milk as opposed to fully
skimmed or whole milk, that is now fairly normal. Shops now seem to
have much more shelf space for semi skimmed.

Cream with tea - never, ever, yuk. I gave up sugar 35 years ago and
now can't stand it in tea.

Some people have their tea without milk and that is when lemon can be
used. However most people don't bother unless they are feeling
particularly 'posh'. However, 98% of people take their tea with milk.

When the British talk about tea it is always tea from the Camelia
sinensis. Fruit and herbal teas are recognised as a different drink.
In cafes you can always get tea, but not always the fruit/herbal.

There is a good site that tells you everything

http://www.tea.co.uk/

or for fun
http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

Personally we have either Yorkshire Tea or Typhoo - straightforward
tea! The most important thing though is - boil the water and let it
still be boiling as it hits the tea.

Ahhh tea - my favourite subject! (except for choccies and a bit of
quilting thrown in).

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old February 21st 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kate - DH has one question - that I must clarify because I don't want
him buying a case of different beers to try each one and figure which
would be the best (this was his suggestion).......

in the recipe for the carbonade, you specify 1 pint of rich dark beer

he is asking, would that be a stout? or a dark lager?

From the looks of some of the beers he has had me try in the past - I

would think the answer would be a stout - but I told him I would ask
you first!

Hugs,
Tina, who would also love to share the salmon with you........ but
phooey on those WW points, I'll pass on the yogurt and fruit!

Old February 21st 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tina:

IIRC, the folks in the British Isles all like milk in tea. I grew
up with the milk and sugar in tea, in an Irish-American family.
When I lived in Germany I started drinking tea the continental
way: with lemon and sugar. I much prefer that way.

Corned Beef and Cabbage is great. It is best to add the cabbage
at the last 30-45 minutes of cooking. Also, when preparing stew
like meals in crockery pot, always be sure the ingredients are
TOTALLY submerged in liquid.

Favorite cold weather meals here include pot roast, beef stew,
shepherd's pie, tamale pie, bean soup, lasagna, pasta with tomato
sauce.

PAT in cold VA/USA

Old February 21st 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Catsup and Kechup are two spellings of the same thing. PAT

Dee in Oz wrote:

Okay what is catsup?
I Know ketchup is tomato sauce and grape jelly is grape jam, but catsup
?

Dee in Oz

who only drinks tea, one sugar and a small amount of milk.

Old February 21st 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You TRUST me with a cup? I don't trust myself: ) Love the idea of the water
tho. How thoughtful of you .
Thanks

Butterfly (off to pack my POSH outfit that has butterflies on the tank top)

"Patti" wrote in message
Only got bone, Butterfly!
Something that breaks that easily would best not be in my hands g
'Bone china' is very tough even though it is so fine! Or so the nice man
on the Royal Worcester factory tour told us.
We have some nice Scottish Highland spring water - would that suit you?
You can have it in a cup, too!
.
In message , Butterfly
writes
Only the bone china? Why not the Windsor China? I think that's the name of
it....the one if you breathe on it it falls apart....

Butterfly (count me out--don't drink tea/coffee)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old February 21st 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

It sounds like we could have our own RCTQ restaurant and it would be very
diverse and very successful!!
I just wonder where we could build it??
KJ

"Patti" wrote in message
news
Now, that sounds like my sort-of 'non preparation' type of food!
Thanks Pati.

In message et, Pati
Cook writes
And for a fast 'sweet" try layering cookies and fruit pie filling in a
microwave safe casserole and zap until hot. Use interesting combination
of cookies and pie filling, like chocolate wafers and cherry pie filling,
peach filling with gingersnaps or blueberry with lemon cookies.
Add a bit of ice cream or whipped cream or whatever.

Pati, in Phx

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill