OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Old February 21st 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

On 20 Feb 2006 16:01:18 -0800, "Dee in Oz"
wrote:

Okay what is catsup?
I Know ketchup is tomato sauce and grape jelly is grape jam, but catsup
?

It is a fancified spelling of ketchup.
Usually used by those companies that don't season the stuff enough.
Or so it seems to me.
In India, ketchup is regarded as a tomato chutney. Or so my friends
are are from or who have been there tell me.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old February 21st 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
I'm a tea lover, too! Except that I more often have mine in the morning,
after I've finished my housework and have dressed. Then I can settle
down with my tea and email. G

Wait. You finish housework? How does that work, exactly.

Cindy

Old February 21st 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I bought a crock pot for the following recipe.

1 cheap roast.

Mix together: 1 package (DRY) Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. 1 package (DRY)
Brown Gravy mix. 1 package (DRY) Good Seasons Italian Dressing - I like
zesty Italian.

Pour this over the roast and pour about a cup of water over that. Let it
cook for 8 - 10 hours. I've cooked it as long as 14 hours. Just makes it
more tender.

Remove roast from cockpot and thicken liquid with flour/water mixture after
bringing it to a boil/.

Best damn roast you will ever eat.

Cindy

Old February 21st 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ummm Chicken and lice? No thanks, rice maybe though. (VBG)

quicker)

"Georg" wrote in message
Tina wrote:
question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

However you like to drink it. I like mine with sugar or a saccrin and a
bit of milk or cream, and lemon in the tea is okay too as long as the
milk doesn't curdle.

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item?

My crock pot meals:

Cheesey chicken - one package of chicken boobs and a jar of yellow ragu
sauce (or cheeze whiz or velveeta). Folks who prefer a true roux shudder
at the very idea. Add another jar of milk and half a cup of rice or dry
potatoes.

Ham and cheese- one ham steak or cubed ham bits, or a chopped bunch of
hot dogs. Add one box mix of taters au gratin or however you like. Add
whatever the box tells you to add, but let it cook in the crockpot.

Baked roast - line the crockpot with tin foil. Drizzle about a
tablespoon of a nice oil on the bottom. Rub a roast with garlic and
onion powder and your fav seasonings. Plop roast on the oil. Pile on
small taters and carrots and a chopped onion if it's convenient.

Chicken and lice - Bunch of chicken legs in the bottom. Dust liberally
with onion and garlic powder or your fav spices. Let that cook for about
two hours on its own, then add about 3 cups of water and one cup of rice
and let it finish.

BBQ ribs. Line with tin foil. Add ribs. Cover with BBQ sauce. Let it
cook on low for a very long time.

-georg

Old February 21st 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh please do, Kathyl, you'd be most welcome.
We could use the bone china (not dishwasher safe) cups - with a teapot!!
Not as formal as the Japanese tea ceremony, but a tradition
nevertheless.
I'll go and put the kettle on. What time does your plane land? Try for
Birmingham International rather than Heathrow (much nearer!).
..
In message nXrKf.568543$084.101094@attbi_s22, KJ
writes
Oh Patti! You make me wish I could come enjoy a spot of tea with you! I'm
not really a tea drinker, but I think you could convert me.
DD has started drinking more tea after her teaching stint in Scotland. She
was "homesick" last week after we went to a program at our cultural center
of "The Pipes, Drums and Highland Dancers of 1st Battalion
The Black Watch and the Band of the Welsh Guard". She came home and had tea
right after. What an enjoyable program!
KJ

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 21st 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Earl Grey is one of the bergamot scented teas, Tina.
If you enjoy Early Grey already, then I think most people would frown on
drinking it with milk (I often do, though!!). If I don't use milk with
it, I don't use lemon either - clash of 'scents' - just as it comes with
a tiny bit of sugar.
..
In message .com, Tina
writes
Wow Patti, thanks so much for this reply. I guess I shouldn't have
said "cream" when I really meant milk - but I am grateful for the
clarification. And BeckyFaz (my local friend from England) also told
me if you have milk with the tea, that you must put the milk in first.

I love Earl Gray, but don't know that I have tried a bergamot tea. I
may have and just not known it. We have tons of tea around here. DH
has his own collection, which I sometimes sample from - then I have my
own collection, which he sometimes samples from. He seems to prefer
the fruity and flavored teas, while I am more partial to the spiced
teas or plain Earl Gray or English Tea Time or my fav, Constant
Comment. Of course, when I am in the mood for a "sweeter" tea, then I
have a chai!

Thank you all for your wonderfully informative responses!

Hugs,
Tina

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 21st 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions: Jugged hare recipe

Tina wrote:
Ok Kate - I must know.....

What is Jugged Hare?

Isn't that something akin to what the folks in the Ozarks or the swamps
cook in a still, then jug and run cross the border?

curiosity killed the Domestic American Cat! LOL

Hugs,
Tina, who LOVES fresh venison but hasn't had any in ages!

Jugged hare is a rich dark hare stew, traditionally thickened with the
hare's blood. It is so called because it was cooked in a tall jug with
a lid, placed in a deep pan of water for cooking. I use the slow
cooker/crock pot, and it is just as fine without the blood.

1 hare, jointed, seasoned with salt and pepper, and placed in the crock pot

Mix together the following ingredients and add them to the pot:
4 oz rindless bacon, chopped fine
4 oz smoked ham, chopped fine
6 shallots, chopped fine
1 large onion, diced
quarter of a pint (5 fl oz) dry red wine
the same of beef or game stock
juice of 1 Seville orange (or of half a lemon and half a sweet orange)
2 teaspoons each of chopped fresh parsley, marjoram, and thyme
quarter teaspoon ground mace
quarter teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 whole cloves

Cook gently for 4-6 hours.

Once cooked, remove the pieces of hare from the juices, and set aside in
a warmed dish. Strain the fat off the top of the juices (if there is
any), and thicken either with a heaped teaspoon of cornflour mixed with
a little cold water (low fat method), or a tablespoon of flour kneeded
with the same of butter (richer traditional method).

If you want to use the blood, keep it cool while waiting to use it, and
add a teaspoon of flour to it, mixed in well, to prevent it curdling.
Add to the juices the hare cooked in and heat VERY GENTLY (or is will
clot in clumps!) to thicken.

The joy of jugged hare is that it doesn't matter how old and tough the
hare was to start with, by the time it is cooked, it will be tender and
delicious. Like venison, hare is a dark meat and has little or no
natural fat, Slow juicy cooking means that it doesn't dry out. Hare
is, traditionally, peasant fa the food of the poor poacher! Lordly
tables eschewed it in favour of more tender meats. It didn't become
fashionable until the end of the 16th C, and by the mid 18th C it had
acquired respectability. It has fallen into disfavour (along with many
other things like rabbit and offal) since the war.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 21st 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

goulash
pies

and for a lunch time comfort food snack:

table spoon of marg/butter
1 small tin of tomato paste
3 oz cheese - a good melting one - I use gouda as that is what is locally
available but cheddar would be great too!

melt butter in a saucepan
put in tomato paste and stir till they are mixed and are bubbling
slowly add the cheese on a lower heat

spread on toast
drop empty pan into cold water
enjoy!!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item? I've run
out of meal plan ideas this week and quite frankly I'm tired. If it
would work in the crock pot or in a big dutch oven, that would even be
a plus. We've already had:

stew
chili
split pea soup
corned beef and cabbage - which I started in the crock pot yesterday
morning before Billy and I left for the day. The corned beef didn't
have enough fat in it, and I didn't add enough liquid (counting on the
fat) so the cabbage burnt! Can you say GeeeeROSSSSSS! Nothing smells
worse than coming home to a house that reaks of burned cabbage! BLEK!

So before DH gets home and wants my weekly grocery list......you guys
got any swell ideas or answers?

TIA and Hugs,
Tina

Old February 21st 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jessamy wrote:
goulash
pies

and for a lunch time comfort food snack:

table spoon of marg/butter
1 small tin of tomato paste
3 oz cheese - a good melting one - I use gouda as that is what is locally
available but cheddar would be great too!

melt butter in a saucepan
put in tomato paste and stir till they are mixed and are bubbling
slowly add the cheese on a lower heat

spread on toast
drop empty pan into cold water
enjoy!!

Another one I like:

Make 2 slices of toast. Spread with lightly pesto and top with thinly
sliced mozzarella. Grill to melted... Yum!

Old February 21st 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My cold-weather favorite is any kind of soup. Made pumpkin soup yesterday.
We weren't too hungry, so I just served it with a little bread for a
vegetarian supper. But it would be good with grilled open-face tuna
sandwiches: spread tuna salad on bread slices, top with sliced tomato and
cheese, run under the grill until the cheese browns a bit. Toast the bread
first if you like.
I like tea too, normally without anything added, but then I'm not British.
Drinking lots of herbal teas lately -there's a locally-grown peppermint
that's really good!
Roberta in D

oups.com...