OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Old February 21st 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Wow Patti, thanks so much for this reply. I guess I shouldn't have
said "cream" when I really meant milk - but I am grateful for the
clarification. And BeckyFaz (my local friend from England) also told
me if you have milk with the tea, that you must put the milk in first.

I love Earl Gray, but don't know that I have tried a bergamot tea. I
may have and just not known it. We have tons of tea around here. DH
has his own collection, which I sometimes sample from - then I have my
own collection, which he sometimes samples from. He seems to prefer
the fruity and flavored teas, while I am more partial to the spiced
teas or plain Earl Gray or English Tea Time or my fav, Constant
Comment. Of course, when I am in the mood for a "sweeter" tea, then I
have a chai!

Thank you all for your wonderfully informative responses!

Hugs,
Tina

Old February 21st 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Bonnie, I'd love that recipe!

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
My English grandparents wouldn't dream of putting milk in tea, they always
had lemon. The same went for their English friends but I've known other
Brits that used milk. So I believe it's whatever you prefer.
I just found my recipe for Bean Stroganoff. It's a great meatless meal
that DH really likes - it replaces beef with mushrooms and pinto beans.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old February 21st 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ok Kate - I must know.....

What is Jugged Hare?

Isn't that something akin to what the folks in the Ozarks or the swamps
cook in a still, then jug and run cross the border?

curiosity killed the Domestic American Cat! LOL

Hugs,
Tina, who LOVES fresh venison but hasn't had any in ages!

Old February 21st 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

So when I come to visit just have normal
tea, lots of real milk and some sugar available and I will be right at
home.
-- Cheryl in Oz

Cheryl, my kettle is always on and hot and I've got plenty of tea to
suit your taste!

You have no idea how much I wish I could just invite you all over for a
big Tea Party!

Hugs,
Tina

Old February 21st 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Snigs, that's exactly what we had tonight - creamy chicken and noodles!

We'll probably have the crock pot roast on Thursday!

DH will grill steaks tomorrow, since that seems to be the only day this
week we don't have yukky rain forecasted!

Hugs,
Tina

Old February 21st 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My Four-Stew is good comfort food for those cold days. Here's the
recipe in case you'd like to try it.

FOUR-HOUR STEW

2 lbs. Lean stewing beef

1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix

Potatoes

Carrots

Celery

Salt & Pepper

2 small cans (10 oz. Each) Cream of Chicken Soup

Cut stew beef up in small pieces and place in lightly greased casserole
dish (about 9x13), shake onion soup mix over top - DO NOT STIR. Cut
up potatoes, carrots and celery about the same size of the meat. Put
them on top of beef. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon cream of
chicken soup (do not dilute with water) over top of everything. I use
two cans - we like lots of sauce) DO NOT STIR. Poke holes thru to
bottom of dish. Put in oven at 250 F. for 4 hours. DO NOT OPEN OVEN
DURING THE FOUR HOURS OF BAKING.

Add a cheese bread or crusty rolls and it's a winner in this house.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old February 21st 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

One of our favorite crock-pot meals these days is a recipe from
allrecipes.com. It is for a chicken taco soup, and I serve it with
sour cream and finely shredded cheese for garnishing, and taco chips
for scooping or crunching up for the bottom of the bowl. This recipe
has been passed around and around my neighbors and co-workers and is
loved by all. Here's the link:
http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/70343.asp

Enjoy!
JoyceG in WA

Old February 21st 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 20 Feb 2006 12:10:20 -0800, "Tina" wrote:

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

Dunno how they do in England, but with me it depends on the tea.
Lapsang Souchong or Darjeeling I prefer black. Greens I prefer with a
hint of rich honey. Plain Red Rose I will often have with a dab of
cream if we have it or evaporated milk.
Celestial Seasonings I might add anything from a spoon of jam to cream
to honey or nothing at all.

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item? I've run
out of meal plan ideas this week and quite frankly I'm tired. If it
would work in the crock pot or in a big dutch oven, that would even be
a plus. We've already had:

Stew and dumplings is the standard favorite for cold weather at my
house. Especially since it often gets too cold in my kitchen for
bread to rise properly. My usual bread bowl doesn't fit in the oven,
I have a weeny oven, but sometimes I will make a little batch in a
smaller bowl and set it to rise in the oven on warm. Dinner pies are
also big favorites. My oven often does not react well to being turned
down, so I often put a layer of cream cheese over the bottom crust so
the gravy doesn't turn it soggy.

Here is my dumpling recipe:
1 cup of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup milk
a bit of whatever herbs or spices go well with what they are going on.
Just slap it all together till everything is moistened and drop
spoonfuls onto what you are cooking at a low simmer, cover and leave
it alone for 20-25 minutes.
That recipe multiplies just fine, never tried to divide it.

I thought everybody knew how to do a grunt or a slump, I have
discovered that this was a misconception on my part. Those are
another winter favorite at my house.
Take a can or two of peaches or other fruit, and put them in a
saucepan. Bring that to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer, top
it with the dumpling recipe as above. That is a grunt, for a slump
use applesauce instead. You may have to add a wee bit of water to
your applesauce, depends on the applesauce. Some people prefer to use
baking powder biscuits, me I'm to lazy for that. (G)
Though if it is cold enough that you want to run the oven, you put
your fruit in a baking pan and roll out the bicuits and put them on
top, bake til the biscuits are done, and call it a pandowdy.
Cream goes marvelous well with any of these fruit things.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old February 21st 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

golly I need a burger... but I'd like that recipe too please.
Taria

Jan wrote:
Me too pretty please!

Jan

"frood" wrote in
m:

Bonnie, I'd love that recipe!

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
link.net...

Old February 21st 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 20 Feb 2006 14:35:49 -0800, "Tina" wrote:

OOOOOOOOOOHhhHhhh Marcella! A woman after my own heart! My absolute,
all time favorite! French Onion soup and a french dip! I'm so
spoiled, I never would have dreamed of making that at home! That's
usually my LaMadelaine treat!

Guess it's time to try it myself in my own kitchen! Thanks for sharing
your recipes!

Well heck if i had know you liked french onion soup...
This is our recipe, concocted out of the myths surrounding the origins
of the stuff.

half a stick of butter
half a dozen largish onions
a litre of champagne or white wine

slice the onions fairly thinly
Melt the butter and saute the onions in it.
When the onions are transluscent and starting to brown, add the wine.
Do not allow to boil, but keep it close to it for 20-30 minutes.
You may like a pinch of tarragon or chervil added with the wine.
Eat with fresh bread and a tasty cheese.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.