OT - rambling - should I believe this???

Old February 19th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - rambling - should I believe this???

Any one know someone who did not know they were pregnant till 8 months
or farther along?
I just got a phone call from our 4 year old grandsons mother letting us
know she is pregnant and has to move. Her and DS split up almost 2
years ago, but we stay in touch with her so that we can still see DGS.
They live 6 hours away so we have not actually seen them for some time.
Her story is that she hadn't been feeling quite right for sometime, Dr
was testing for thyroid and other possible problems. About 2-3 weeks
ago she started feeling movement like feelings, which made her wonder
about pregnancy but she just kind of pooh poohed the idea and her
mother passed it off a gas related.
She hasn't had a boyfriend (not DS) for sometime now, but insists she
was on birth control while they were together. At her last Dr's
appointment she mentioned the movement and Dr checked and confirmed
that YES she is pregnant!
As near as they can figure the baby should be here about the end of
March.
I guess I'm sort of amazed! I can't imagine not knowing for that long.
She claims she has not gained any weight and is still wearing the same
jeans she was 8 months ago. DH and I have been sworn to secrecy as she
hasn't told many people yet, so I can't discuss this with any of the
family.
I know I've heard of women that have actually given birth without
knowing they were pregnant, but always wondered if it was just a story
made up cause the woman didn't want anyone to know.
In my world babies are always a blessing (sometimes in disguise). I
have chosen to accept her story as told and offer what support I can,
but I can't help but wonder if she just didn't want her ex and his
family to know about this baby.
DS (her ex) and his new significant other are the parents of DGS to be
- also due in March!

My other question is since this is our DGS's baby brother or sister is
it ok to consider ourselves grandparents to this one too? I think it
would make our visits with DGS less confusing. I'm sure Mom would be
more than ok with it and DH and I have no problems with the idea. ...I
guess I just answered my own question. The only objections would come
from DS & his SO(maybe/probably) and possibly other children that
already think we are bonkers.
Since we will only see this baby once or twice a year because of the
distance, I don't think we will be accused of spending too much time
with this one and not with the biological grandbabies.

Well, thanks for letting me ramble. Putting thoughts into words helps
to clarify things sometime.

I am curious though if it really is possible to go 8 months without
figuring out that you are pregnant???

Marilyn
stunned, confused, and bubbly cause there is another new baby coming!!!

Old February 19th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'll only address one question... should you "adopt" this new baby as your grandchild?

If the babies mother is agreeable... I would say GO FOR IT!! Babies from single parent homes can't
get too much love (no babies can get too much love). Sounds like a wonderful gift to give your
grandson. If your DS doesn't approve... just don't discuss in his presence. Sounds like you don't
get everyone all together under one roof all that often... so other than him just "not wanting you
to" I can't for the life of me see how it would negatively impact anyone!

My two cents!

Kate in MI

oups.com...

Old February 19th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I was 4 1/2 months with my youngest before I figured it out. It seems
there's some issues with potency of birth control pills when you're taking
antibiotics. A good warning for all.

As for the new baby, it's up to you. My first two children's grandparents
promised they'd "adopt" my other two children, and have not lived up to
their promise. It was a little aggravating that they'd even promise that
commitment and then not follow through, but a lot of that had to do with my
ex's manipulation and lies.

Do what you feel comfortable doing, but keep your word.

oups.com...
:

Old February 19th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Like you, I wondered how it was possible to be very pregnant and not
know. I also suspected there was some deception (if only self-deception)
in reported cases. But I have a cousin who was 6 months pregnant before
she knew anything about it at all, and my sister-in-law was taken to
hospital in labour unaware that she was pregnant - she was on holiday in
a foreign country at the time. I know for a fact that no deception was
involved in either case, so yes, it is possible.

As for should you "adopt" the baby as a grandchild - YES! (Pardon me for
shouting). Sounds like this baby needs all the family it can get, sounds
like mum could do with the support too, and anyway grandkids are fun,
right? Lucky you to have a new one. Congratulations, Grandma!
--
M Rimmer
Old February 19th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

It happened to a woman my sister worked with . . . twice. She had
stomach pains, went to the ER, and delivered. She had nothing for a baby
because she didn't know she was pregnant. They don't keep women in the
hospial long anymore for giving birth, so she used a dresser drawer
(removed from the dresser and put on the floor) for the baby's bed,
bought a dozen diapers (cloth) on the way home from the hospital).

The second time was no better. She had absolutely no inkling she was
pregnant and went to the ER from work. She was overweight to begin
with, and no one at work realized she was pregnant either.

Old February 19th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I can just barely imagine not realizing if it's a first baby and the mother
is possibly quite a bit overweight anyway (that's the only reason I can
think of for being able to wear the same clothes when she's 8 months along!)
But not realizing when it's the 2nd time? That just pushes skepticism a
little too much!
As for being a granny to your DGS's younger sibling, go right ahead! Every
baby needs a granny.
Roberta in D

oups.com...

Old February 19th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I know that there are women that continue to have monthly cycles... although a little unusual --
they still have them. And depending upon how you carry the baby -- how much weight you gain... the
width of your hips... I can believe it could happen without knowing. Although I distinctly remember
the KICKING from the inside! How could they not feel that... did any of you have really "lazy"
babies.... didn't move much at all before birth?

Kate in MI

Mom to 3 boys... who definitely wanted out to play!

oups.com...

Old February 19th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes it is possible - but the only lass I know that this happened to was
a big lass and it was only a five pound something baby! Like me, she'd
never been regular, so missing a period or three wasn't unusual, and
with other stresses in life... Putting on an extra 8 or 9 pounds when
you already weigh 250 is nothing, really. Ho hum! Made her sit up and
think about her weight a bit, and she did lose quite a lot after that.

I think you should just treat the DGS and his new sibling as equals when
you see them. No point in making things difficult for him, awkward for
yourselves and his mum, or being mean to the new one coz his mum made a
silly mistake. If your son and his new wife don't like the situation,
that's THEIR problem!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 19th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Marilyn, I'll speak on the pregnancy. Yes it is possible to be pregnant
and not know. I didn't know I was pregnant till close to 3 months. The
only symptom I had was wicked hearth burn, the kind that can cause human
combustion. I was loosing weigh due to having modified my diet to
accommodate the heart burn. I was never regular (I'd vary from 90 to 140
days) and ex dh and I were separating. I still don't know how it happened.
There was a rush to get an amio done (38 at the time). No one could figure
out the due date. Had lots of ultra sounds in an attempt to arrive at some
due date, which was pretty close. YES, she is a blessing.

I wish you well.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY