Talons of Doom Redux

Old December 28th 05, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Talons of Doom Redux

Duct tape, works wonders for many things. According to Red-Green on PBS
I just might work here too

"D Curtis" wrote in message
ROFLMAO!
Di

Carey N. wrote:
"D Curtis" wrote in message
.. .

That will teach you to take sugar in your tea!
I was only partially tongue in cheek there. Id be beside myself if DHs
nails wrecked havoc on our mattress like that!
Diana

If my other half did that much destruction in his sleep, I certainly
wouldn't be beside *him* !
--
Carey in MA
(going back to the corner....)

Old December 28th 05, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Audrey" wrote:

Duct tape, works wonders for many things. According to Red-Green on PBS
I just might work here too

On her DH's toenails?

"D Curtis" wrote in message
ROFLMAO!
Di

Carey N. wrote:
"D Curtis" wrote in message
.. .

That will teach you to take sugar in your tea!
I was only partially tongue in cheek there. Id be beside myself if DHs
nails wrecked havoc on our mattress like that!
Diana

If my other half did that much destruction in his sleep, I certainly
wouldn't be beside *him* !
--
Carey in MA
(going back to the corner....)

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old December 28th 05, 05:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I wouldn't dare sleep by him! What if he severed an artery during the
night? On the flip side, if you bled to death on the mattress you
wouldn't have to mend it! I was also thinking a metal plate would be the
only solution.... why does this remind me of the bar of soap?

D Curtis wrote:

That will teach you to take sugar in your tea!
I was only partially tongue in cheek there. Id be beside myself if DHs
nails wrecked havoc on our mattress like that!
Diana

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Old December 28th 05, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Soak his feet in nice warm water and cut his nails.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"NightMist" wrote in message

OK I have griped enough about DH's toenails that y'all know by know
that they should be registered as lethal weapons.

Currently I am getting myself screwed up to tackle mending the
_mattress_!

Where his feet go, there is a hole.
The darned thing has been turned and turned again, and his side is
quite tatty on both faces. Only one face has the gapeing hole though.
Currently I have an old pillow stuffed in there, and some old shirts
sort of quick stitched together and pinned on top of that.

As a more permanent solution, I am considering dipping into the
corsetry supplies for some duck, and useing up the poly-batting that
some kind soul gifted me with.
The plan being to baste down the pillow and the shirts, then cover the
entire faceing surfaces of the mattress with poly batting, the canvas
over that, then do some quick and dirty straight line quilting (5-6
inch), useing carpet thread, over the whole.

That I am crazy is a given, but we cannot afford a new mattress.

I am thinking I should invest in a can of spray baste for this
undertaking. Do you think that that would be an alright plan given
that it will certainly never be washed?

A second thought was to machine quilt the batt to the canvas (useing
fabric that I don't have much use for, I have an entire tote of
polyester, on the back) and make an open sided bag of sorts, then put
that on the mattress, then just do lines of anchor stitches a foot or
so apart, and sew up the sides.

Ideas?

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.

Old December 28th 05, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

He only raked my calf good but once.
Now he takes keeping his toenails cut quite seriously. Thing is they
grow so darned fast.
He isn't really a restless sleeper either. A cover hog, but that goes
with the territory. I think they have a special class in high school
to teach boys the best ways to steal the bedclothes and keep them.
One of the reasons I tend to the humungous when making quilts for
home.

I have reduced the frequency of quilt repair by sewing the top sheet
to the bottom sheet, sort of like waterbed sheets. And since I also
have the bottom sheet sort of tied to the mattress thus keeping the
sheets in place, it provides a slight barrier between my quilts and
the deadly toenails. I can rotate sheets and quilts, but the mattress
is losing a war of attrition.

NightMist
got flannel sheets for yule.

Old December 28th 05, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Don't tempt me!
I think if I brought DH in, our vet might just whack me on the nose
with a rolled up newspaper. He and she don't approve of declawing
pets, I think husbands would put their back up a bit. Maybe if I got
him fixed at the same time? They are great spay and neuter
proponents.

I have thought of covering the mattress in leather, but that would be
expensive! It's a king!

The more I think on it, the better the canvas mattress baggie is
sounding. Doing it that way would save my poor fingers, I have mended
mattresses before and even with a curved needle, soft jawed pliers,
and gloves, it is hard on the hands.

I am thinking hard about "pj sneakers" a la the first Chucky movie.
They should be quite simple to fashion. I can make moccasins after
all. Some warm suede booties for sleeping in might just appeal to
him.

Speaking of moccasins, anybody know where to lay hands on some brain
tanned leather? My guy for it has moved away and I am having the very
devil of a time finding it elsewhere. I only use it for quill
embroidery, so a single hide goes a long way.

NightMist
and I know a lady who makes chainmaille, so I might think about that!

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:17:09 -0600, D Curtis
wrote:

This is rather drastic but would you consider taking him in and having
him declawed?
Ask him to wear chain maille socks?
rivet plate steel to the mattress?
But first.. fixing the hole... I would use the heaviest fabric you own
(sail canvas sounds about right) and using an upholstery needle and the
strongest thread you can fit thru the needle, sew and sew and then use
the aforementined rivets.
HTH
Diana

Old December 28th 05, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:56:21 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

D Curtis wrote:

That will teach you to take sugar in your tea!

No sugar in the tea, but cake crumbs are sticky...

I was only partially tongue in cheek there. Id be beside myself if DHs
nails wrecked havoc on our mattress like that!
Diana

So would I! I had to get a replacement price for our mattress when we
renewed the house contents insurance a couple of years back, and a
replacement for the one we have would be £1400! Just for the mattress!
The bed's irreplaceable, as my dad built it. To get a decent
carpenter to build one just like it would probably cost the same as the
mattress!

And that my dears is why I am mending instead of replaceing!

The stupid mattress and box springs are an off size king, 75 inches by
75 inches (190.5cm x 109.5 cm). I can find a replacement, yes, but
boy would it cost! Most common seems to be either an inch larger or
three inches smaller. So it would be either shell out heavy for the
mattress, or shell out heavy for a whole new set.

I swear one of these days I am going to build Odysseus's bed and use a
leather bag stuffed with straw for a mattress. Any complaints and I
will declaw DH myself!

NightMist
with a spoon and a butterknife!
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old December 28th 05, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That is exactly why we have a little Oster foot jacuzzi.
Only I let kiri do the pedicures. Scary feet! Besides I figure the
years I put in darning his socks have earned me a reprieve from that
duty.

NightMist
no more saving dead lightbulbs or pringles cans for me!

Old December 28th 05, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We had a non-standard mattress to replace, and found that Ikea stocked
that size. They also do Mattress Pads which I had never seen before -
A heavy quilted pad that they put over their matresses in Sweden.
Quite substantial - not like a quilt - more like a giant camping mat
the size of a mattress, and covered in mattress fabric. That would
cover up your mending and stop DH feeling anything bumpy round his
toes.

Do you have a local chiropodist!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Machine redux WhansaMi Quilting 13 August 22nd 04 11:25 PM
SFNR, Mother's Day Redux, and Busygrrl Tink! Tinkster Beads 1 May 19th 04 04:46 AM
Combining Clays, Redux Arondelle Polymer Clay 6 March 13th 04 01:30 AM
OT Toenail Problems Kevlar Bindings? Talons of Doom NightMist Quilting 0 July 9th 03 11:34 PM