Talons of Doom Redux

Old December 27th 05, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Talons of Doom Redux

OK I have griped enough about DH's toenails that y'all know by know
that they should be registered as lethal weapons.

Currently I am getting myself screwed up to tackle mending the
_mattress_!

Where his feet go, there is a hole.
The darned thing has been turned and turned again, and his side is
quite tatty on both faces. Only one face has the gapeing hole though.
Currently I have an old pillow stuffed in there, and some old shirts
sort of quick stitched together and pinned on top of that.

As a more permanent solution, I am considering dipping into the
corsetry supplies for some duck, and useing up the poly-batting that
some kind soul gifted me with.
The plan being to baste down the pillow and the shirts, then cover the
entire faceing surfaces of the mattress with poly batting, the canvas
over that, then do some quick and dirty straight line quilting (5-6
inch), useing carpet thread, over the whole.

That I am crazy is a given, but we cannot afford a new mattress.

I am thinking I should invest in a can of spray baste for this
undertaking. Do you think that that would be an alright plan given
that it will certainly never be washed?

A second thought was to machine quilt the batt to the canvas (useing
fabric that I don't have much use for, I have an entire tote of
polyester, on the back) and make an open sided bag of sorts, then put
that on the mattress, then just do lines of anchor stitches a foot or
so apart, and sew up the sides.

Ideas?

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old December 27th 05, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

D Curtis wrote:

This is rather drastic but would you consider taking him in and having
him declawed?
Ask him to wear chain maille socks?
rivet plate steel to the mattress?
But first.. fixing the hole... I would use the heaviest fabric you own
(sail canvas sounds about right) and using an upholstery needle and the
strongest thread you can fit thru the needle, sew and sew and then use
the aforementined rivets.
HTH
Diana

Akk! Where was the WARNING on this, Diana? Tea on monitor, sticky
keyboard here again...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 28th 05, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

frood wrote:

What? I think she's serious!

Oh, yes - but still a right ole laff, innit.

Old December 28th 05, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

What? I think she's serious!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old December 28th 05, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

D Curtis wrote:

That will teach you to take sugar in your tea!

No sugar in the tea, but cake crumbs are sticky...

I was only partially tongue in cheek there. Id be beside myself if DHs
nails wrecked havoc on our mattress like that!
Diana

So would I! I had to get a replacement price for our mattress when we
renewed the house contents insurance a couple of years back, and a
replacement for the one we have would be £1400! Just for the mattress!
The bed's irreplaceable, as my dad built it. To get a decent
carpenter to build one just like it would probably cost the same as the
mattress!

Old December 28th 05, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"D Curtis" wrote in message
.. .
That will teach you to take sugar in your tea!
I was only partially tongue in cheek there. Id be beside myself if DHs
nails wrecked havoc on our mattress like that!
Diana

If my other half did that much destruction in his sleep, I certainly
wouldn't be beside *him* !
--
Carey in MA
(going back to the corner....)

Old December 28th 05, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

NightMist wrote:
OK I have griped enough about DH's toenails that y'all know by know
that they should be registered as lethal weapons.

Currently I am getting myself screwed up to tackle mending the
_mattress_!

A second thought was to machine quilt the batt to the canvas (useing
fabric that I don't have much use for, I have an entire tote of
polyester, on the back) and make an open sided bag of sorts, then put
that on the mattress, then just do lines of anchor stitches a foot or
so apart, and sew up the sides.

I like the "patch the existing hole" and make a big baggie for the whole
mattress ideas

liz young in soggy california

Machine redux WhansaMi Quilting 13 August 22nd 04 11:25 PM
SFNR, Mother's Day Redux, and Busygrrl Tink! Tinkster Beads 1 May 19th 04 04:46 AM
Combining Clays, Redux Arondelle Polymer Clay 6 March 13th 04 01:30 AM
OT Toenail Problems Kevlar Bindings? Talons of Doom NightMist Quilting 0 July 9th 03 11:34 PM