What did Santa bring?

Old December 28th 05, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT pellet stoves, was What did Santa bring?

Marissa, our heating system might appeal to you, although it's very
expensive to install. We have a well in the yard that pumps ground water
through a compressor, which extracts the heat and stores it in 2 water
tanks, one for the radiators and one for bath water. So no fuel costs at
all, except our electricity bill is higher (about like having an extra big
refrigerator.) Digging the well is probably expensive though, and the pipe
for the ground water also runs underground.
Roberta in D

"DrQuilter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
thanks for all the info!

IMS wrote:

I forgot to mention, the new boilers are much more fuel efficient than
old ones, so changing will certainly make an improvement.

-Irene

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Old December 28th 05, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We have friends in Sweden who heat with ground water from a deep well.
They think it is wonderful, especially given the alternatives. On the
other hand, friends who run a very large house as a hostel recently
replaced their heating system with a pellet system. I asked why not the
hot ground water system and they said payback period. It would take 10
years to recover the extra cost there of compared to operating costs of
the pellet system. But after ten years they would have been ahead but i
huess the upfront part was bothersome since they had just invested
susbstantial money to buy the house and business.

Old December 28th 05, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

OMG!! I would faint if I got a heating bill that high.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote in message
Just got my natural gas bill yesterday. For 30 days it was $227. We were
told the prices would sky rocket this winter, but hey, it wasn't even
winter when we used that gas!

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
My natural gas runs an average of $59/month during the winter months and
less than $15 during the warm months. It's way cheaper than oil, propane
or wood.

Old December 28th 05, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have central heat and air. The heat and water heater is all natural gas.
My house is about 1600 square feet and a 2 1/2 car garage that has a vent to
it. It is well insulated with energy efficient doors and windows. Maybe
that's what makes the difference.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Roberta" wrote in message
IMS wrote:
Natural gas has doubled in price from last year in this neck of the
woods. Around here (Central NY) natural gas is the 2nd highest priced
fuel (2nd to propane).

My MIL uses natural gas & just got her first 'real' winter heating bill
and it was $175 for 30 days and she lives in a trailer. That's up 60%
over her bill from a year ago. -Irene

Apparently it is high here as well - we have a gas stove..I take it they
must not use much gas. I cook at least once a day on the thing and our
gas bill has been about $15.00 a month at the most. Well, we got the gas
fireplace working last month...mind you the thing is more for looks than
anything. After running that thing for about 15-20 days our bill was
almost $200.00. Needless to say we are 1) greatful that our house is not
heated with gas 2) not using the fireplace anymore lol

Roberta (in VA)

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:

My natural gas runs an average of $59/month during the winter months and
less than $15 during the warm months. It's way cheaper than oil,
propane or wood.

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. --Mae
West --------------

Old December 28th 05, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You guys might want to compare what your are paying per therm and
how many of them you use in a month. Everyone has a different
comfort level. I have a dd that thinks y our shower ends when the
hot water heater is empty. There are a lot of variables here.
A gas log set up in a fireplace is for atmosphere not heat. Most
new houses are not set up to burn wood fires in their fire boxes.
We have forced central AC/ heat. We have gotten threats in our latest
bills to the increase in rates. Both houses have pretty new units.
Old equipment (10 years if I understand correctly) is outmoded and
worth checking into newer efficient units.
therms on my last bills were .94800 and 1.35914 (different gas
companies) one bill has utillity tax but not the other.
HTH, Taria

Old December 28th 05, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What did Santa bring?

In my stocking was a cute Mary Englebriet 2006 calendar and lots of
FQ's. DH got a big surprise gift...a plastic tool box filled with
'manly' FQ's (hammers, motorcycles, paintbrushes) since he's a new
quilter. I'm still in the recovery stage after housing and feeding
twelve for six days. The dishwasher NEVER stopped!! and the refrigerator
is EMPTY!! My raspberry trifle was a big hit. For breakfast, I tried the
eggs in a plastic bag in boilng water trick and it worked. GKDS were
very impressed. They left me a little ice cream in the freezer. It's Ben
and Jerry's Karamel Sutra (caramel and chocolate ice cream with
chocolate chip crunchies and a soft caramel center. YUM-O! Hugs to all
who need them, rain to those in fire threatened areas, and prayers, good
health and luck for all in the new year. Nancycog in MD

Old December 28th 05, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

my house is around that size, one level, and VERY well insulated, new
double pane windows, tons of the fluffy pink stuff in the attic, etc. I
think there is no way I could heat it with 59 bucks of gas. Maybe it is
Arkansas vs. the West coast?

Old December 28th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Then you would just die on the spot if you saw one of my January
bills.
Even in August the bill seldom gets below $50.
We have a smaller house than you, forced air, gas hot water and
cooking, and we shiver the winter away. But Richard the Deep
breather, as we call the furnace, is old. It in fact looks much like
something smuggled out of a small crematorium. I have been trying for
years to get the landlord to replace it with something more efficient.
Best I have done is duct tape and new filters.

I am seriously considering making quilted curtains just to save that
little bit of heat.

NightMist
who had chunks of ice bigger than she is sliding off the roof over
Christmas.

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
My natural gas runs an average of $59/month during the winter months and
less than $15 during the warm months. It's way cheaper than oil, propane
or wood.

--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old December 28th 05, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

DD uses ones that hang over the tops of her ears. She uses them while
she is at the gym, and says they don't fall off. I have never been to
a gym so I can't vouch for this!
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:15:07 GMT, (NightMist)
wrote:

DH got me a MuVo Nomad for my birthday this year, and almost the first
thing I did was repalce the ear things (a little different than buds)
with regular walkman headphones. While the phones that came with it
were better than the average bud (you could actually hear stuff in
addition to your tunes if you minded your volume), They don't stay in
your ears very well. The walkman phones take a quicker toll on the
battery, but they don't fall off. It is also easy to set them back in
the shell of your ear, so you still hear the music but you can also
easily hear what is going on around you.

NightMist
perfectly happy with 128mg, no frills, and no proprietary format.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:20:37 GMT, "frood"
wrote:

DH bought me noise-cancelling headphones to use with my iPod last year, but
I made him return them. I figured that I ought to be able to hear calls for
help or breaking things while jammin' to my music!

I use the little ear bud things that fit in my ears, but when the kids are
home I usually only put one in my ear so I can hear them better, and so I
don't yell when I'm talking to them. Not that I never yell at them, but
sometimes I really just want to talk!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

"Jan" wrote in message
7.125.201...
"nana2b" wrote in
:

After lighting our candles and saying the prayers, DH and I exchanged
gifts. My DH got me a MP3 player. Today I figured out how to load it
and was happily singing along to my favorite music. I got DH lovely
dark green slacks, a casual shirt (like Kramer wears on Seinfeld),
handkerchiefs monogramed by my Bernie and a handy dandy vacuum to keep
his pickup nice and clean. Later in the week we will have a Chanukah
dinner (complete with homemade Latkes) with the kids.

All in all a wonderful day. Linda in Tx

Wonderful!! Now just because inquiring minds want to know... how easy was
the MP3 player to use? And can you hear the other "noises" in the house
or
does it drown out everything else??? :-)

Jan