What did Santa bring?

Old December 26th 05, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What did Santa bring?

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 15:41:10 -0600, Sharon Harper wrote
(in article ):

I know! I know! Or at least I think I do! But I won't tell either...

I didn't see the beginning of this thread for a couple of reasons. One, I
haven't had much time to read the ng lately, and two, I'm actually on the
road with my laptop right now.

But, I'm happy dancing because that sweetie David got me a Jem Plantinum 760
for Christmas. I'm so excited. I got to open before we left on Friday, but
haven't had a chance to play with it at all yet. i'm so glad I have the rest
of the week off from work, We'll drive home on Tuesday and Wednesday I'm
bringing up my scrap box to the dining room and a spool of thread and I'm
going to try each one of the 60 stitches and show them to Dave. He'll be so
sick of me bugging him!

Today I'm looking at the Janome website to see what feet I think I need. The
quilting feet, of course, and probably the zipper foot and a few others so I
can sew whatever I want.

I wonder how soon I can get to the dealer. My ASG chapter is having an
overnight getaway in mid-January and of course I'd like to be able to take
"Jenny Jem" along with me. I'll want whatever feet I need for whatever
projects I decide to take along.

Maureen

Sorry this is so long!

Old December 26th 05, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 14:50:22 -0600, Heather Michna wrote
(in article iCDrf.18534$mz2.11485@trnddc08):

Nothing quilty, but hubby did get me XM satelite radio for my
car...WOOHOOOO!

"KJ" wrote in message
news%Crf.674611$xm3.174045@attbi_s21...
I'm patiently waiting reports on what goodies Santa brought you all.
Santa came early this year and took me to Scotland with all the shopping
exeditions included. Oh, I guess I did get a new set of tires on my van
the other day. Merry Christmas to me! Almost as expensive as my plane
ticket!
Hope you all had a great day. Time to slice the roast and set the table.
KJ

I wrote earlier this a.m. in another thread about my Jem. I also got a
coffee mug warmer for work and beef and chicken bouillon and a Janome coffee
mug, very needed since the heat in State buildings is set low this winter and
our building is a converted factory that never warms up well. Plus, some
clothes and rubber stamping stuff and "The Christmas Quilt" from my parents,
I charm for my charm bracelet from David (a fish to commemorate my first
fishing trip this fall), and some candy and knitting yarn from Dave's
parents.

I seem to have a huge amount of new stuff, so I must have been very good this
year!

Maureen

Old December 26th 05, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That is the kind of gift that always makes me feel a little teary eyed,
because its value is in the thoughtfulness of the giver and the meaning
it has to you. You are indeed a lucky woman to have such a wonderful DH.
Diana

hfw wrote:
On the first night of Chanukah my true love gave to me...

...a framed apple crate label. But a very special one. My birth father
died when I was 9 months old, so I have no memory of him. He was in the
produce business in NY, and was the Frankenthal of Justman-Frankenthal
Produce. Several years ago, I had been googling "Frankenthal" (and
eventually found my half-sister, but that is another story) and found a
guy in California who collected and sold these labels. I bought two for
Jo-Jo's apples, which I remembered my mom talking about when I was a
child. They've been traveling with us for the past six years, safely
packed but all but forgotten. Last night, after lighting the first
candle, my DH gave me the package. I could feel a frame, but couldn't
figure out what it could be--my rabbinical college diploma would have
been a lot smaller, and the ordination certificate a lot larger. But
there it was, a perfect specimen Jo-Jo apple label, with the name
Justman-Frankenthal on it, matted and framed under glass.

That is one sweet and thoughtful DH.

Old December 26th 05, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What did Santa bring?/omelets in an bag

Am just eating one. Unfortunately my bag must have been a cheapo -
when I lifted the omelette out it fell out the bottom of the bag
(perhaps the bottom of the pan was too hot for it with an electric
hob) and I had to fish for it with a slotted spoon, but it survived
intact..

I cooked it for 13 thirteen) minutes as instructed, but it did look
done before. Should it really have been 13? - hard boiled eggs are
only ten, so I wondered.
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 01:38:44 GMT, "elspeth"
wrote:

Really fun.
Guests for breakfast- or a late night snack? Here is an easy way to prepare
a tasty treat.

Recipe for the Omelet in a Bag:

1. Have your guests use a permanent marker to write their
name on a quart size self-locking freezer bag.

2. Crack two large or extra-large eggs into each bag
(more than two will not work.) Shake, mixing them well.

3. Put out a variety of ingredients such as grated cheeses
ham, onion, green pepper. tomato, frozen hash browns
(don't put too many of these in-they take over), salsa,
cooked bacon, precooked sausage.

4. Have the guests add the prepared ingredients of their
choice to the bag and shake. Make sure to get the air
out of the bag and zip it up.

5. Place the bags into rolling-boiling water for exactly 13 min-
utes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot.
For more, make another pot of boiling water.

6. Open the bag and the omelet will roll out easily. Be
prepared for everyone to be amazed.

This is very nice to serve with fresh fruit and/or coffee cake. Its a great
conversation piece and everyone gets involved in the process. It 's easy,
convenient, and delicious - and NO fat involved. Enjoy.

The veggies come out crisp and not soggy!!! Really easy and tasty!!!

"KJ" wrote in message
Omelets in a bag? Enlighten me!
KJ

"elspeth" wrote in message
ink.net...
A beautiful leather coat my DH brought back from Argentina (unfortunately
I need to lose a few pounds for it to fit well), a computer cam and
microphone/headset combo so we can chat "live" while he is away in Denmark
for the next 6 months, a quilt square a day calendar from my
granddaughters, a James Avery charm necklace with several new charms to
add to the vintage charms I have picked up on E-Bay. We made omelets in a
bag for breakfast -- lots of fun and very tasty and I didn't have to cook
them! We are waiting for the legs of lamb to be finished and then will sit
down for lamb and couscous to be followed by a chocolate fountain fondu.
All in all an absolutely lovely day.

It sounds like others have had a great day also. My happiest Holiday
wishes to all.

Old December 27th 05, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kate Dicey wrote:

KJ wrote:

I'm patiently waiting reports on what goodies Santa brought you all.
Santa came early this year and took me to Scotland with all the
shopping exeditions included. Oh, I guess I did get a new set of
tires on my van the other day. Merry Christmas to me! Almost as
expensive as my plane ticket!
Hope you all had a great day. Time to slice the roast and set the table.
KJ

I got a book on tailoring from James that I've wanted for months!

Today I showered with some extravagant Organza shower gel I got last
Christmas, washed my hair with some Aveda shampoo and conditioner that
was an expensive luxury from Little Sis, slapped on some Organza body
lotion, and am dressed in a perfect Land's End Little Black dress Big
Sis gave me. I shall wear the dress again when I go for lunch with her
and Mum tomorrow.

DH gave me the SliceSy attachment for my Bamix hand held blender. Yummy
stuff all round. James got a football game for his Game Boy from Auntie
Mo Next Door (another footy fan), which has been the big Hit this year!

DH Alan is still collecting contributions for his digital camera...

One of the highlights of the day was a walk with James and Alan through
the orchards and round by the village.

Santa left a prezzy for me at Little Sis's house, by mistake! It was
from my brother and my mum: Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlocked!

This one! http://www.maney.co.uk/search?fwaction=show&fwid=208

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 27th 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Pellet stove ( What did Santa bring?)

I wonder does it smell like popcorn all the time? That wouldn't necessarily
be a bad thing, it would make me hungry, I think...

Cindy

"IMS" wrote in message
news Here's the one we got. So far our boiler has not come on this season
for heat to the first and second floors, and we live in central NYS, so
we are very happy with it.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/features.asp?id=12

This company also makes corn stoves, more here on all their products:

http://www.harmanstoves.com/products.asp

-Irene

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:13:15 -0600, Julia in MN
wrote:

DrQuilter wrote:
not really
sure what a pellet or a pellet stove is

A pellet stove burns wood pellets manufactured from scrap wood. Many of
them also burn corn. With the low corn prices and the high price of
fuel, a lot of people here in the corn belt of the US are installing
corn burning stoves. The few companies that make them are having trouble
keeping up with the demand. Google pellet stove or corn stove for more
info.

Julia in MN

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

Old December 27th 05, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Irene, no problems with mice or anything getting into it?

Cindy

"IMS" wrote in message
A ton of pellets is about 3-1/2 to 4 feet square, by about 4 feet high.
We have them stacked 8 feet high in our basement, so I'll leave the rest
of the math for you

My DH is a heating contractor, and has followed fuel types and prices
for the past 15 years or so.Here's how it's figured.

A ton of pellets = 100-125 gal of oil

We did get a very good pellet stove, it's as efficient as our oil fired
boiler unit. And we're pleasantly surprised it's heating better than we
planned....our boiler has come on only to heat our hot water since
April. We just got a bill for 1/2 a tank of fuel oil (150 gallons) and
the price is $385. The pellets have cost us between $144 - $202 a ton
depending on where and when we got them.

Based on those prices, out 100-125 gal of oil and a ton of pellets
that's about what the savings is.

I could do up an example if you like

Gotta say the pile of pellets in the basement makes me warm just looking
at them.

-Irene

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:21:49 -0800, DrQuilter
wrote:

Sounds great! (how much space do 5 tons of pellets occupy? not really
sure what a pellet or a pellet stove is). But unless I am misssing
something, I don't get it: I just paid $500 for 150 gallons of fuel oil!!

IMS wrote:

My DH and I got a Harmon pellet stove for the house. Plus 5 tons of
pellets stored away snugly in the basement. Ok, we got it in October,
really but decided it would be our Christmas gift to each other

We spent a wonderful, warm Christmas with it yesterday...along with the
warm two months we've already had. The stove has electronic thermonstat
controls so you set it to the temperature you want the room at...it
shuts itself on and off and keeps to temp constant. We're already
saving $75-100 on every ton of pellets we use, which is the equivalent
of 100 gallons of fuel oil. Yippee!

-Irene

--------------

Old December 27th 05, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The bags need to be freezer bags and you need to be sure to get as much air
out as possible so the bags don't swell and pop! Three eggs will not work
and I suspect that the fewer items you add, the faster it cooks, and also
the smaller the eggs. We sort of draped ours over the edge of the pot so
just the eggy part was in the water -- they slipped right out of the bags
and looked like nicely rolled omelets.

Eliz in Spring, Texas

Old December 27th 05, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

After lighting our candles and saying the prayers, DH and I exchanged gifts.
My DH got me a MP3 player. Today I figured out how to load it and was
happily singing along to my favorite music. I got DH lovely dark green
slacks, a casual shirt (like Kramer wears on Seinfeld), handkerchiefs
monogramed by my Bernie and a handy dandy vacuum to keep his pickup nice and
clean. Later in the week we will have a Chanukah dinner (complete with
homemade Latkes) with the kids.

All in all a wonderful day. Linda in Tx

Old December 27th 05, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Santa brought me a new Guardian Angel statue for my yard, a candle warmer,
and 5 quilt related jigsaw puzzles!! And lots of hugs and kisses from sweet
babies.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"