DECEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

Old December 10th 05, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default DECEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

I know they aren't as hard as I once feared. But, I must admit, if I can
re-draft a block to avoid them and still get the look I want, I will.

Sometimes that extra seam really messes up the look or causes you to cut
into a fabric motif that should stay whole, so I agree that it is a good
idea to practice and get over any Y-seam phobia.

Thanks for the nice clear instructions too Patti.

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq

Patti wrote:
For anyone who is thinking that a 'Y' seam is difficult - it really isn't.
If you try going from one end, into the centre, pivot, and then out the
other side, yes perhaps it might not give a satisfactory result, and so
it is seen as: 'difficult'
BUT, if you make a habit of seeing the seam as *two* seams: sew the
first - and I would suggest going from the centre to the outside; then
take the piece out of the machine and re-fold so that the second seam is
convenient for sewing, again sew from the centre to the outside, and
*always* sew only to within a quarter of an inch of the centre end of
both seams (another reason why it is a good idea to start from the
centre!), then these seams are absolutely no more difficult that any
other kind of seam. Truly.

(I'm not in any way criticising anyone who has found a way to avoid
them, if that is what they want to do, just thought it might be timely
to suggest an easy method - since we haven't had 'Y' seams crop up for a
while)
.
In message . com, Dee
in Oz writes

Isn't that cheating on the challenge of the 'harder' blocks and not
doing the 'Y' seams ???

Dee in Oz
( yes I did save it thanks Anne as it may just come in handy after I
get Novembers done !! LOL )

Old December 10th 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cause they give up instead of pulling up their shorts and setting to.

NightMist
is manic, and thus depression is a totally alien concept

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:30:11 -0800, DrQuilter
wrote:

how come some people kill themselves though?

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:

Hang in there - it's hard but they say the Creator never gives us more than
we can handle. Sometimes I wonder tho.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old December 11th 05, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Why Suicide?

I don't have an answer for that. I have known some people who said their
lives were just too painful to endure. I strongly believe in
self-determination but suicide can be a selfish act that leaves those who
loved that person with such raw, agonizing pain and so many unanswered
questions. It can also be a manipulation that goes wrong. A lot of the
suicide notes I have seen during my professional life were massive guilt
trips. My DD has recently been diagnosed with Manic-Depressive/Bi-polar
Disease and has often said how painful her life can be when she is in her
low times. She feels compelled to end her emotional pain during these times
but during the good times is glad that she didn't act on those dark
thoughts. The Lithium has evened it out some but has horrible side effects.
Her hand trembles so much that she can no longer hand quilt or cross stitch
and that breaks her heart. They are still working with the dosage but her
neurologist says she may have to live with this particular side effect in
order to even out the mood swings. I worry that I will get a call someday.
I just try to put her in her Creators hands and pray for her to find some
kind of peace. I never end a conversation with her without telling her I
love her. It isn't much but it will comfort me if the worst ever happens.
Selfish of me, now. I have worked very hard on accepting the fact that I
can't control other people - not even my children, LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old December 11th 05, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT: Why Suicide?

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
I don't have an answer for that. I have known some people who said their
lives were just too painful to endure. I strongly believe in
self-determination but suicide can be a selfish act that leaves those who
loved that person with such raw, agonizing pain and so many unanswered
questions. ......

This is sort of long -- sorry. I haven't followed this thread but I
wanted to say that there are people like my older DSis who committed
suicide. She was in her mid-50's at the time (1994) when she finally
made the decision to leave us. When conceived, she was *supposed* to be
a conjoined twin connected at the base of the spine. The other fetus
spontaneously aborted at about 6 months gestation and as a result my DS
was born with Spinabifida, clubbed feet, Scoliosis, severe nerve damage
to her bladder and other problems too numerous to mention. He spine
was so deformed that one hip was a full inch higher than the other. She
was *always* in pain as an adult. When her Dr. told her that she would
soon be on morphine to handle the pain, she knew she would very soon end
up in a nursing home and be bed-ridden.
She knew that once on morphine she would have less than a year to
live so she decided it was time to take her leave. After Christmas, she
started to tell everyone that she was just too tired and in too much
pain to deal with another hot Phoenix summer and would probably "do what
needs to be done". She left us on 04 June 1994 and the only one who was
really surprised was my Dad, probably because he never did acknowledge
the fact that she had such severe handicaps. Her suicide *was* a
selfish act but one that was understandable and didn't really cause
severe trauma for those of us left behind.
Anyway, I personally feel that people who are in chronic terrible
pain that cannot be alleviated or have a terminal illness -- things that
we know will not ever get better -- have the right to choose when they
will die. I am still upset about the fact that my poor sister had to
take this last step all alone because anyone who had been with her could
have been prosecuted and put in jail. DSis was SO severely handicapped
that an autopsy wasn't done, even tho' she had died "under unknown
circumstances". Once the medical authorities got one look at her body,
they understood and KNEW she had been a suicide.
Obviously, the whole family was upset about loosing her but we knew
why it happened. Her true friends understood and there wasn't really
anything unusually traumatic for us in dealing with the loss. We were
lucky in that we all (except for Papa) accepted her decision and knew
that she WAS in a better place. Unfortunately, this isn't true for many
families of suicides. I like to think that she chose self euthanasia as
opposed to suicide. Her death was a well though out occurrence, there
was no severe emotional problem, and she really didn't have many other
options. VBS -- I still miss her even tho' we weren't close. CiaoMeow
^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old December 11th 05, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tia Mary - I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this thoughtful
post. I have seen, and been on, both sides of this issue and it is a
tough call to make for many people. Those who do it, or don't, and
those who have to survive, or not.

Myself, in many ways I think it is also selfish of the people left
behind - to think that the person who chose to end their life was
"selfish". Perhaps they were suffering an unbearable physical or
mental pain, that another person not experiencing, could not begin to
imagine. For someone to want that person to stay alive, and in their
life, just to suit them, is the most selfish act I can imagine.

Again, there are two sides to every story and situation and I can see
and respect both sides. I am most grateful and honored to you for your
courage and ability in sharing this story.

Hugs,
Tina

Old December 11th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you so much for taking the time and energy--and having the courage--to
write this.

--Heidi
Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old December 11th 05, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I personally, live my life by this philosophy. But can you imagine for
one second, the person who does not believe in God, or A God, or a
Creator? Why would this "cliche" mean a hill of beans to them? For
someone suffering extreme pain or mental anguish, to be told "The
Creator never gives us more than we can handle." Would seem to say,
"Oh just suck up, you're never given more than you can handle, you're
just being a wimp at the moment." Not true. You wouldn't mean it that
way. I might not take it that way. But I can sure empathize with the
feeling of being told such. Well, if the Creator (whoever that is)
doesn't give me anything more than I can handle, then I must be a wimp
or something, because I sure don't think I can handle this unbearable
pain, or suffering, or loss, or....... insert your
trauma/disaster/trouble here........

and it just may be, if He/She/The Creator DID put something in our life
that was more than we were capable of handling, then perhaps it was
His/Her/The Creators choice to give us a situation so unbearable that
we would choose to take our own life, and He/She/The Creator would
allow that to happen. If He/She/The Creator thought it was something
we SHOULD have been able to handle, then perhaps He/She/The Creator
would not have allowed the 'suicide' to be successful.

Now there's a thought to chew on............

Hugs,
Tina

Old December 11th 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hey Snigs!

The hand tremors are called tardive dyskinesia.
There are more than a few mental health drugs that can cause it.
Often switching drugs can stop it while still taking care of the
symptoms you are taking it for. If you do not switch off on the drugs
the tremors may become permanent.
I got it at one point when I saw a substitute doctor at the clinic and
he went bonkers on me over some stuff I considered very minor, and
overloaded me on meds.
I did the medication merry-go-round for a while. Then I realized that
my psychiatrist really didn't care if the drugs completely
incapacitated me so long as they allieviated the symptoms, and that
there was no failsafe in case the _drugs_ made me completely bonkers,
as did happen with one medication.
Fortunately, my diagnosis is one of the ones that are not only fairly
easy to live with (so long as you avoid the wrong stress), but it can
also make you very productive.

NightMist

Old December 11th 05, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks Tia Mary.
So sad for all concerned. I have always told the children I have taught
that they must never, ever pass any kind of judgement on someone who
takes their own life, whatever the circumstances. I do believe that is
how we should all think.
I trust I am not offending anyone by saying that.
..
In message , Tia Mary
writes

Best Regards
pat on the hill

EQ5 Users Debbi Quilting 5 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
JULY's BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 26 June 28th 05 07:09 PM
Repost - Taking signups for the 3rd round of the Harry Potter block swap! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 14th 05 12:34 AM
Now taking sign-ups for the third Harry Potter block swap ! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 8th 05 05:46 PM
DIY RCTQ Block of the Month Club M. Wetmore Quilting 25 January 6th 04 01:28 AM