Soul food

Old September 29th 05, 04:03 PM
C & S

Default Soul food

I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite "pick me up food" is. Myself, I
love dark chocolate. I have a secret stash (which is not so secret anymore)
of Dove Dark chocolate (goes well with a latte). I'd also like to know when
the "Queen of Chocolate" on this ng will relinquish her title so that I can
become the official chocolate taster. Perhaps I could self appoint myself
"Princess of dark chocolate".

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

Old September 29th 05, 04:27 PM
Georg

C & S wrote:
I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite "pick me up food" is. Myself, I
love dark chocolate. I have a secret stash (which is not so secret anymore)
of Dove Dark chocolate (goes well with a latte). I'd also like to know when
the "Queen of Chocolate" on this ng will relinquish her title so that I can
become the official chocolate taster. Perhaps I could self appoint myself
"Princess of dark chocolate".

When I'm really glum, nothing feels cheerier than a warm mug of
something sweet and milky. I don't particularly argue whether it be
coffee, chocolate, tea, or even poor man's tea (which is just the sugar
and milk in hot water). The food itself, like cookies, brownies, or
muffins, are all optional- I gotta have a mug. And a blankey and cat on
the lap or near.

-georg
Old September 29th 05, 04:49 PM
Tina

Chicken and dumplings and bread pudding. But it can't just be any
chicken and dumplings or just any bread pudding. My ex-MIL made the
BEST chicken and dumplings in the world. Needless to say, she doesn't
make them for me any more. My ex-GMIL, who passed away before we were
ever divorced, would make me real bread pudding whenever I was sick,
sad or blue. It was definitely the best "soul food".

Nowadays...... well, I try making my own chicken and dumplings, and it
will do in a pinch, but it's still not the same. I don't even try to
make bread pudding and I even have grandmas recipe. Now when I am sick
or down, DH makes me Campbell's Tomato soup and grilled cheese
sandwiches, it works, most the time.

When we got in Tuesday night, he had gone to the store and bought
everyone of us our "favorite" thing. DS, got a jug of chocolate milk
and a candy bar. DD got chocolate covered cherries on her pillow. I
had a Premium Dark Chocolate candy bar on my pillow and a can of black
olives on the counter. He had bought us each our personal favorite
flavor jug of Gatorade. Last night he took us out for dinner at Joe's
Crab Shack (my daughter's favorite). She ate like she hadn't eaten in
a month. I was sick at my stomach. But it was good and it was
relaxing and it brought us all back together in a happier environment.

I think today I will make a big pot of home made macaroni and cheese
(not the Kraft kind, bleck) - for me and the kiddos, this is kind of
"soul food" when we have been through a rough time together.

And tea. Thank God for Bigelow Constant Comment. It connected me to
reality and the feeling that "life will go on" after we made it to San
Antonio and again, before bed when we got back to Houston. A cup of
hot tea is definitely a "soul food" to me!

Hugs,
Tina

Old September 29th 05, 04:53 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

OMG!! A heart attack on a plate. Sounds yummy!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Jan" wrote in message
nk.net...
Choc, coffee, sausage gravy with anything :-), and a thing called hot
hamburger from my home town... consists of slice of bread, topped with
thin
burger, topped with french fries and smothered in a brown gravy :-D

Jan

"C & S" wrote in
:

Old September 29th 05, 04:55 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Wish I could make you a pot of my potatoe soup and yellow sweet corn bread
in a cast iron skillet. That would fix what ails you.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
oups.com...

Old September 29th 05, 04:56 PM
Tina

Now THAT'S my daughters "soul food"! Whenever we go to our lake house
on vacation, my daughter always expects me to make her home made
biscuits and sausage gravy. I made breakfast for her Sunday morning at
the lake house and she was too sick to eat very much - but she said it
was the best sausage gravy and biscuits I had ever made at the lake
house. I think just because it was the most normal thing for us this
weekend.

Thank God for Southern Soul Food!
Tina, wondering who has the best recipe for Tomato Gravy - my personal
favorite

Old September 29th 05, 04:57 PM
Tina

I love potato soup Snigs - as well as sweet corn bread in the cast iron
skillet (another specialty of ex-GMIL)! You make it and I'll be there
to eat!

Hugs to you
Tina, very, very grateful for the thought!

Old September 29th 05, 05:21 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Wish I could wish it on to your table.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
oups.com...

Old September 29th 05, 05:37 PM
C & S

Yum, Yum you bring back childhood memories. Mom would make this amazing
gravy with onions (she would sometimes use tea when there was leftover as
opposed to water) that we would put on a hamburger patty, soaking the gravy
on white bread, was it good! When I go over for dinner, I'll often ask her
to make it for me ).

Carole
Champlain, NY

Old September 29th 05, 05:40 PM
C & S

There's something about a mug of something hot that sooths the soul. Off to
make myself a latte!

Carole
Champlain, NY

"Georg" wrote in message

When I'm really glum, nothing feels cheerier than a warm mug of
something sweet and milky. I don't particularly argue whether it be
coffee, chocolate, tea, or even poor man's tea (which is just the sugar
and milk in hot water). The food itself, like cookies, brownies, or
muffins, are all optional- I gotta have a mug. And a blankey and cat on
the lap or near.

-georg

Mexican Food in New England meijhana Beads 7 August 15th 04 06:50 AM
dyeing with food colouring Els van Dam Yarn 14 July 1st 04 07:17 PM
no food by mail? JL Amerson Beads 84 January 30th 04 07:44 AM
Food beads revisited Jalynne Beads 22 September 8th 03 05:21 PM
hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 30 August 27th 03 01:40 AM