OT Rant about posts

Old September 16th 05, 05:44 PM
Tina

Ok, well..... here I go.... stepping up on MY soapbox of the week....

For the past 10 days - I have spent the majority of the time sad and/or
in a mild state of depression. Why? Because as my mother has said for
years, "Tina, you are just too sensitive." Yep, I guess she's right,
again.

As of Tuesday last week, I started receiving the typical pass around,
garbage emails that start from a news report or paper editorial.
Someones opinion on the hurricane, someones opinion on who's to blame,
where the fault lies, what people should have done and shouldn't have
done.

Some of the ugliest I received, blamed the victims themselves. One of
the ugliest, and purely inhumane, garbage emails I received stated,
"Well, if you look at the ones they were rescuing off the roofs...they
were all black, welfare recipients, waiting on the government to save
them..."

I was hurt. I was mad. I got really down and depressed that this kind
of garbage was coming from people I knew and at one time respected.

It doesn't seem to matter to them that the people they saw being
rescued off of roof tops were just flat, plain, Human Beings! Didn't
matter what color their skin was. Didn't matter what their religious
preference was. Didn't matter what their previous financial standing
was. They were HUMAN BEINGS, in need of HELP! And I couldn't believe
some of the reactions and statements I was hearing.

It occurred to me - I shouldn't be surprised. Some of these comments
were coming from the same people who send (in bulk email) Jewish jokes,
Italian jokes, Hispanic laborer jokes....I think you get the point.

I guess my point is - if one is willing to make light of, make fun of,
or denegrate ANY other human being - in the name of humor even - then
you can pretty well guage their level of human compassion and love for
their fellow man.

When you laugh at the jokes, because you think, "Oh, it's just a junk
email joke being sent around." Think about the person who came up with
the joke. Think about the person who forwarded it to you. Did they
THINK first? Did they think, "Oh, it's all in fun, it's just humor?"
Or did they think, "This is making fun of someone, cutting someone else
down, in the name of 'humor'?"

Yep, people now days will say and do just about anything - with no
regard for how it might affect those around them or those who overhear.
It's sad really. Because a lot of those same people are people I
called my friends. At times, it was even myself. And that part really
hurts.

I'm not laughing anymore. After the way I have seen people treated in
the last two weeks, in the face of disaster and emergency - I have
decided, it's not funny. The jokes aren't funny. Because the same
people who were sending the jokes and laughing - are the same ones who
are pointing fingers, blaming and denegrating their fellow human beings
who just plain need their help, right now!

The joke is on us. When we joke, when we laugh - at another human
beings expense - we are only hurting ourselves. And when we are
telling others about it, and laughing - we don't know how many people
around us we are hurting as well.

I have hurt so bad this week it has made me cry a thousand times. Not
for myself - but for the people who are being hurt by the attitudes of
those making the jokes and the comments.

It's really not funny. I have thought over, and over, and over again
this week - "Does it really need to be said?" "If you don't have
anything nice, good, or productive to say, couldn't you just keep your
mouth shut?"

I have been told more than one time this week - "Tina, your
expectations of other human beings, as well as yourself, are just too
high. Then, you are disappointed when they don't live up to your
expectations." Like I told that person, "Are you saying, that me,
expecting my friends, neighbors and acquaintances - to treat other
human beings, with basic human compassion and respect - is too HIGH of
an expectation?"

I guess my therapist is right then. My expectations are too high and
I'll be damned if I will lower them any time soon. Sorry for the
expletive.

Tina, stepping off my soapbox, at least on the group
BTW, thank you to the person who said I was happy, not in a pollyanna
kind of way. My mother has said for years that I was just "too
Pollyanna". Unfortunately, no, I'm not. I'm all too realistic at
times, so much so that it breaks my heart.

Old September 16th 05, 05:45 PM
Tina

Hey, I hope I don't hurt a llamas feelings - cuz that one still helps
me laugh at times that I want to cry. When I'm really down these days
- I start to sing the llama song to myself and then, I can't help but
smile!

Hugs, to the llamas too,
Tina

Old September 16th 05, 05:57 PM
frood

Courtesy of Ogden Nash (ok, I stole off the internet. whaddya expect from a
pirate?)

The one-l lama,
He's a priest.
The two-l llama,
He's a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn't any
Three-l lllama

--
Capn Grainne O'Malley the Drunken Tongue
Talk Like a Pirate Day, Sept. 19, 2005

Old September 16th 05, 06:04 PM
Carey N.

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey, I hope I don't hurt a llamas feelings - cuz that one still helps
me laugh at times that I want to cry. When I'm really down these days
- I start to sing the llama song to myself and then, I can't help but
smile!

Hugs, to the llamas too,
Tina

This one?
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php

Smile!
Carey in MA

Old September 16th 05, 06:11 PM
Johanna Gibson

On 16 Sep 2005 09:44:10 -0700, "Tina" wrote:

[...]

Tina, you're my hero! I too, have always been called "too
sensitive", and told my expectations were too high. What's the
alternative? To give up?
Well *you* don't give up. You help others and make them happy; in
turn all your actions and giving gives you happiness too. Your
stories here, Polly's stories here... are uplifting. Thank you for
the window to your world.
When you tell us of your happiness, many others are smiling with
you; when you tell us of your troubles and your thoughts, many others
are thinking of you. You are not alone, my friend.
What are the benefits of being "too sensitive", of having "high
expectations"? I believe it is integrity, self-respect, and the
respect of others.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 16th 05, 06:14 PM
teleflora

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
I guess my therapist is right then. My expectations are too high and
I'll be damned if I will lower them any time soon. Sorry for the
expletive.

HUGS!!

No, your expectations are not too high. That's ridiculous. Your
expectations are exactly where they ought to be. The Golden Rule. That's
the only law we need to live by. Why do people make it so complicated.

Maybe some people don't feel good about themselves so they have to denigrate
others in order to feel superior. Humor is such a subjective call. But
calling someone names or making fun of a person or a whole culture is just
mean.

And I don't care how much you close you are to someone, referring to them by
an ethnic slur is just plain appalling. I am married to an Italian. I live
in an Italian/American community. I would sooner cut off my arm that refer
to my husband or one of our friends by ethnic name. I might call them
idiots, but that's justified.

Eh, that's just my 2 cents. And damn. It was such a nice morning until I
got here and started reading this crap. We have NEVER had these problems
before. What's changed, I wonder.

Cindy

Old September 16th 05, 06:20 PM
Sandy Foster

In article MWCWe.814$e_4.269@trndny08,
"Carey N." wrote:

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey, I hope I don't hurt a llamas feelings - cuz that one still helps
me laugh at times that I want to cry. When I'm really down these days
- I start to sing the llama song to myself and then, I can't help but
smile!

Hugs, to the llamas too,
Tina

This one?
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php

Smile!
Carey in MA

I can't sing it to myself -- I get all twisted! LOL! But it sure is
cute.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 16th 05, 06:24 PM
Mystified One

I forget... Doesn't "too sensitive" mean you were bold enough to speak up
when someone offended you?

:

Old September 16th 05, 06:24 PM
Carey N.

"Carey N." wrote:

This one?
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php

Smile!
Carey in MA

I can't sing it to myself -- I get all twisted! LOL! But it sure is
cute.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

It really *is* a tongue twister: I'm afraid I'd bite myself trying. That,
or start spitting like a llama!! ;-))
--
Carey in MA

Old September 16th 05, 06:29 PM
Diana Curtis

I have been accused of the same thing, and I say, who gets to decide how
sensitive is *too* sensitive? Perhaps if we spend to much time in pain
because we cannot filter out some of the input we find hurtful, thats
when we need to do something to lower our reactions. But, it is our
call, not someone elses.
My mom used to tell me I thought to much. Hmmm... what did that mean?
How much is to much?
Diana