OT - Health Update

Old August 31st 05, 10:29 AM
Kate Dicey

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Meanwhile, work out your trigger foods: mine were anything fatty (like
fried stuff, cream, anything made with full fat milk or butter), all
red meats, red wine, coffee, anything sweet like cake and chocolates
(which are fatty as well!), some nuts, and just eating too much in one
sitting!

Oh Kate - that sounds like a death sentence! Can you eat anything nice?!

Suzie B

Oh, I eat LOTS of nice food! Roast chicken, pork and lamb (red meat is
OK now in small quantities occasionally), sausages (I sometimes have low
fat sausages, low fat oven chips, and salad for dinner), most spices are
OK, and I do a lot of cooking from scratch. I keep cake for treats
(I've been dreaming of cake for weeks, but managed to overcome it with a
half a small pear and almond tart on Friday ( I shared it with a friend)
and a small slice of chocolate birthday cake on Saturday at my sister's
50th birthday party. I eat lots of spicy chicken and i also eat quite a
lot of fish. I've cooked delicious things for lots of folk who never
realised the casserole they were eating was a Weight Watcher's recipe
and well within my points budget for a meal.

I just avoid things that are unnecessarily fatty (like fried things),
fat laden (like ordinary sausages - I use the Bowyers low fat ones, or
some speciality ones that are 98% lean meat from The sausage Shop), use
low fat fromage frais or half fat creme fraiche on fruit salad
(unsweetened), and so forth... I can drink coffee again, but not red
wine, which is one of the few things I miss! I even have recipes for a
reduced fat chicken korma, which is very good.

Yesterday I ate:

Breakfast: a jam sandwich (no marge - just jam!)

Lunch: all home made!
Pasta salad with nuts
Greek salad
bean salad
green salad (no extra dressing)

Dinner was pasta with a tomato and bacon sauce, made by dry frying the
bacon with garlic, adding a tin of tomatoes, half a jar of pasata, and
the minced remains of Sunday's Medeterrainian Roast Vegetables. For
dessert I had a Muller Light yoghurt.

I had a tall skinny latte while out with the lads (we went to Bluewater
and the lads climbed the Big Blue Rock while I went to Lush, then we hit
the book shop, the Lego shop, and the cinema!).

Adding it all up, I had 15 of my daily allowance of 18 WW points. Bit
on the low side, but I'm still recovering from the stinky cold that went
to my sinuses over the weekend.

I don't *do* boring food. Some of it is very plain, but then who needs
to tart up a salmon filet, new potatoes, and either fresh veg or salad?
What could be less boring than best local lamb roasted and served with
a gravy made of red wine, quince jelly, and the meat juices and served
with roast potates ('dry' roasted with just a spray of oil rather than
swimming in grease) and fresh local vegetables? (I find red wine is OK
for cooking with, but I can't just drink it.) I look at working out low
fat alternatives to traditional fat laden foods as a challenge. After w
while on a low fat diet, you lose the taste for really fatty things.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 31st 05, 10:43 AM
Mystified One

I don't even know what Coeliac Disease is, but it doesn't sound fun in the
least.

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
Anyone not interested can just skip along to the next post!!

As y'all know I've been having some problems. The 'scopy showed nothing
"nasty" and have not heard back about the bits sent for further tests so
am
assuming all is a-ok. The doctor did say it could possibly be IBS
(irritable bowel syndrome).

So being a married technologically advanced husband (ie computer geek) I
researched on the net and discovered many, many symptoms that sounded like
moi. Mind you Coeliac Disease also sounds very similar! Anyways, I found
very basic meal plan and have stuck to that for a week (yes, wonders never
cease - I actually stuck to a diet!!) with the results that (a) symptoms
have reduced greatly and (b) I lost 3 kilos in the first week. Granted
(b)
excites me more than (a) but when you are my weight....well! The meal
plan
basically cuts out all the yummy foods leaving you with a very bland
diet -
2 slices wholemeal toast for breaky, some crackers and vegemite with a
piece
of fruit for morning tea, sandwich or salad for lunch, and a "normal"
dinner - not to many vegies and no creamy yummy things. No fried or
calorie
laden anythings. I've also given up coffee as that can be a "trigger"
food
too.

I put the theory to a test today and had some potato wedges with sweet
chilli sour cream for lunch with some coffee. Well! My oh my thank
heavens
I was at home!! Within half an hour symptoms had reappeared with a
vengeance. ROFLOL - back to the blandness for me! Which isn't too bad
'cause I ain't hungry. And eating with me is more "habit" than hunger so
must break the habit.

Back to regular quilting stations now....

quicker)

Old August 31st 05, 04:06 PM
Sally Swindells

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:29:03 +0100, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

[...]

I now get the most awful indigestion if I eat fatty things. - the best
incentive not to eat them
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old August 31st 05, 06:11 PM
Jenn

Sharon,

If you can get it by you. "The New Eating Right for a Bad Gut..." is
an EXCELLENT book. I have IBS on top of boughts with ulcerative
colitis.

Since I want kids I figured I better finally do something to my body
under control before we start trying. This book really helped. I am
even eating vegetables after 35 years of avoiding them :-)

You should be able to use some spice, mild like pepper and sea salt, to
make things less bland.

Keep us posted.

Jenn - a.k.a Tiny Tyrant

Old August 31st 05, 07:26 PM
Kate Dicey

Sally Swindells wrote:

I now get the most awful indigestion if I eat fatty things. - the best
incentive not to eat them

Exactly! And once I set off the IBS, THAT can last for days...

Old August 31st 05, 07:28 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Oh wow - can you come over to Southend please and sort my food cupboards
and freezer out - AND write me a diet plan?

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old August 31st 05, 08:03 PM
Kate Dicey

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

Oh wow - can you come over to Southend please and sort my food cupboards
and freezer out - AND write me a diet plan?

Suzie B

'Tiz easy...

We eats LOADS of fresh fruit and vegetables (cooked and raw), and plenty
of complex carbs, and enough white and low fat meat and fish to maintain
a healthy protein intake. I plan the meals, write a shopping list
according to the plan, and DH shops to the list. He's getting better at
not buying things that are not on the plan, so while the food we buy may
be more expensive than of yore (good quality sausages are more expensive
than naff ones per pound, after all), we consume less of it and waste
far less than we used to! In the long run, I think we save quite a bit
by not snacking on crisps/chips, biscuits/cookies, cake and such, and
chomp into apples, bananas, carrots, cucumber, and the occasional Go
Ahead bar when we get really needy for something sweet. The real trick
is to save the cake&bikkies for treats. I find that though they are
more expensive (or partly BECAUSE they are more expensive!),
individually wrapped treats are less of a temptation than whole packs of
things like chocolate digestives. I always had a compost heap in the
bottom of the fridge - now that rarely happens! I don't get stuff
'because it's in season' or on special offer: I get it because it's on
the menu! We also buy low fat or reduced fat versions of anything we
can, and I bake things like chicken breasts, chops, sausages, and the
like rather than frying them. I use herbs and spices to flavour things.

I also cook from scratch: very few jars of pasta sauces enter this house
these days. Tomato based ones are really easy (like last nights!), and
really low in points, and a very little cheese on the top goes a long
way. To make a baked pasta dish, I just use more or less what went in
last night's and drift a couple of ounces of low fat cheddar on the top,
pop it in the oven, and serve it with salad. Rather than bacon, you can
ring the changes with tuna, make it totally veggie, add chili...
Whatever floats your boat!

Tonight we had some of Sunday's roast chicken, cold, some cold ham, rice
salad, lettuce, and tomatoes. The rest might well become low fat
Coronation Chicken.

I need to do the menu for the coming week. Do you want me to post it
when I do? I can include some recipes for the less common or specially
low fat versions of things.

Old August 31st 05, 09:16 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Sharon Harper" wrote:

Anyone not interested can just skip along to the next post!!

As y'all know I've been having some problems. The 'scopy showed nothing
"nasty" and have not heard back about the bits sent for further tests so am
assuming all is a-ok. The doctor did say it could possibly be IBS
(irritable bowel syndrome).

So being a married technologically advanced husband (ie computer geek) I
researched on the net and discovered many, many symptoms that sounded like
moi. Mind you Coeliac Disease also sounds very similar! Anyways, I found a
[...]

'cause I ain't hungry. And eating with me is more "habit" than hunger so I
must break the habit.

Back to regular quilting stations now....

Sharon, I'm so glad you seem to have discovered what the problem has
been and -- even better -- what to do about it! It's too bad that the
really yummy things are always the ones we must cut out, isn't it? :S
But if the results are so good, it's worth it!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 31st 05, 11:36 PM
Pat in Virginia

Oh, yes Kate, please do post your plan!! I really need to get
back on WW Program. Now, what is Coronation Chicken?

Thanks!! PAT

Kate Dicey wrote:
Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

Oh wow - can you come over to Southend please and sort my food
cupboards and freezer out - AND write me a diet plan?

Suzie B

'Tiz easy...

We eats LOADS of fresh fruit and vegetables ...cut...

Old September 1st 05, 12:26 AM
Kate Dicey

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Oh, yes Kate, please do post your plan!! I really need to get back on
WW Program. Now, what is Coronation Chicken?

Thanks!! PAT

Ok, I'll do that. Coronation Chicken is cold chicken in a curried mayo
sauce.