Flooring help needed

Old August 11th 05, 05:59 AM
DrQuilter

as long as you stay away for carpet, you should be fine. carpet will
hide pins, get entangled with threads, and be harder to clean in
general. I like your idea of tile... how about in 1 foot squares.. quick
way to measure and square quilts!

Mary in Washington wrote:

Once again, I am calling your expertise and experience concerning the
floor for my sewing room. Without dishing the dirt on the previous
owner, I do wish that his bellybutton pops out, his legs fall off and
the house inspect have to carry him around. What we thought was going
to be a simple update turned into a 3-year construction party.

We have worked hard for 3 years to get this house up to standards. New
carpet, paint, hardwood, tile, moldings, fixtures, so on and so forth
has brought us to the outside paint which will happen next summer and
the floor in my sewing room. This is the space that I have always
coveted and have been thrilled with the set up. The carpet now is gold
shag right out of the 70's and other then a good cleaning before I
move in it has had nothing done to it. I am ashamed to say that I am
even afraid to vacuum in there because when I am in a project it gets
totally trashed. But I pick up and put everything back in order after
each project...but I am sure I miss some pins.

That being said, I am also a bare foot quilter. Can't stand
shoes!!!! In winter I will compromise with socks but that is it and
nice carpet would be nice.

Do I put hard wood, tile, carpet, and if so what kind. Please tell me
what you have and why you love, like or hate it.

My gratitude in advance.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa
IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old August 11th 05, 06:00 AM
DrQuilter

I was thinking of nice spanish or italian terracota coloured, roughish
tiles...

Taria wrote:

This house has a lot of ceramic tile. I hate it. It is really light
with a shiny slick finish and I have found myself slipping too often.
If you go with tile get something with some texture to is so it isn't
so slick. The coolness is nice though. Standing at the kitchen is
murder on my back but to be fair sheet vinyl was too.
I, like Polly wonder about the cork. Looks wonderful but is it really
livable?
There was shag in the room I had as a teenager. Over 20 years later
when the carpet guys pulled it up they got stuck with my pins. That
stuff is unforgiving besides yucky to live with.
Let us know what you do and how it works.
Taria

Sandy Foster wrote:

In article . com,
"Mary in Washington" wrote:

Do I put hard wood, tile, carpet, and if so what kind. Please tell me
what you have and why you love, like or hate it.

Mary, I have tile (not vinyl -- the ceramic stuff) in my sewing room
and was sure I was going to hate it. But I don't! It's really nice,
because I can scoot my rolling desk chair from computer to sewing
machine or out of the way when I need to use the iron. It's easy to
keep clean (dust mopping, damp mopping), and it's cool on my feet in
the warm weather. I thought it would be cold in the winter, but it's
not. The only thing that might be a consideration is that tile is hard
on some people's backs and legs, but so far I haven't had that
problem.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old August 11th 05, 06:05 AM
Mystified One

If I had a choice, I'd try and make a quilt design in the room. I know, I
know, but it's still fun.

You could do vynyl flooring but put small area rugs (even bathroom rugs) in
key areas. Area rugs are cheap, and certainly not that ugly color. Keeps
your feet warm and it's easy to shake out pins if need be for sweeping.

ups.com...

Old August 11th 05, 06:07 AM
DrQuilter

me too! shoes come off the moment I am inside the door! and we have
yucky carpet in the living room, can't wait for the hardwood floors in
the new house! I think the quilting room/cabin has tile floors, which is
fine. my current one has vinyl and it is easy to clean, thought the
previous renter dripped bleach when she was cleaning to move out and it
is stained...

PS: what is it that you guys don't like about standing on tile for a
long period of time? I don't get it. Why would it be less comfortable?

Liz A. wrote:

Hi Mary,

I'm another barefoot quilter in Washington !

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old August 11th 05, 07:36 AM
Roberta Zollner

My main sewing room is also the laundry room, with ceramic tiles. Very easy
to clean! Very easy to see dropped pins, etc. And with under-floor heating,
still pleasant in winter.
Roberta in D

ups.com...

Old August 11th 05, 12:51 PM
Polly Esther

I don't fling Ginghers but Mr. Kitty has been know to bounce a hefty
Rowenta. Our pantry has an ugly gouge in it where the movers shoved the
freezer back against the wall. If we replace the floor, the freezer and
refrigerator will have to come out and then back in on the new floor.
Somehow, it just is easier to live with the first gouge. Thank you for the
real thoughts on cork. Polly

"Marcella Peek" I'm mostly real :-) My friend installs kitchens. He hates
cork because
it gouges easily when one drops knives and the like. I suspect that
wouldn't be an issue with a sewing room unless one likes to fling
Ginghers or open rotary cutters.

Old August 11th 05, 01:08 PM
Polly Esther

If you might choose wood flooring, you need to be warned about buckling.
Something that can leak such as a hot water heater, or ice maker can cause
the floors to ripple and buckle. The tiny bit of "grow room" they leave
under the base boards won't be enough to let them stretch and shrink. Not
once but twice, we had outside moisture cause our magnificent pecan floors
to wave like a seascape. This wasn't anything inside but simply the
thoroughly (and then some!) soaked grounds and air outside.
Those floors were cold, hard, loud and just absolutely gorgeous. IMHO.
Polly

Old August 11th 05, 01:27 PM
Polly Esther

It has to do, dear DrQ, with old age and/or mileage. Some of us need to be
as kind to our old bodies as we can and a softer floor is simply gentler to
our grumpy old bones. We are not complaining really, just very proud to
still be around. Polly
"DrQuilter" asked PS: what is it that you guys don't like about

Old August 11th 05, 01:40 PM
ALZ

We are shoes off people too. We have a pile of shoes near the front
door. I do feel embarrassed when guests think that they have to take
their shoes off also, so if I remember, I remove these when I know we
are having guests. Otherwise I leave my everyday shoes there so I know
exactly where they are when I have to leave.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old August 11th 05, 01:41 PM
Pat in Virginia

Polly, and others who have pressing issues (irons falling off
board.) You might try the caddy or cage that Clotilde sells.
NAYY!! It is designed so that human and other QI do not knock the
iron to floor. Go to Clotilde.com & search for Iron caddy
#285801. Would like to add the link but it was longer than the
Gettysburg Address!

About the floor: the people who installed the new kitchen
flooring here last week did a fantastic job. They carefully moved
the stove and lifted it into place. Lifted, not pushed! The
fridge is huge, so they put it on a sheet of luan (thin wood) and
slid it off the luan onto the new tiles. No gouges. The only
problem is that now I am reluctant to pin baste quilts on the new
floor as I do not want to scratch it, so have to find a new
space. Will have to try carpet area now.

PAT in VA/USA