Scissor preference?

Old May 17th 05, 06:49 PM
Christina in Ok

I use Fiskar's Soft Touch (small par for clipping threads & Razor Edge
scissors, for fabrics.
For rotary cutting, I use the Olfa cutter 45 , and Fiskar's blades.
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
All three of my favorite Ginghers are worn and aging. They've been sent
back to Gingher and restored but still have millions of miles on them.
The
7" dressmaker shears don't have the points they once had, the serrated
edge
ones won't cut just anything from stem to stern and the precious little
curved embroidery ones can't clip into appliqué turns as they once did. I
am
not saying that I'm sure I'm willing to try another brand - they have
served
me well. Just in case I have a flash of an open mind, have any of you
found
anything you think is wonderful? Polly

Old May 17th 05, 06:49 PM
Butterfly

Had to go to Fiskars. Get annoyed with the small ones as the 'orange
thingie' that holds them closed is a pain sometimes as it doesn't 'work'
correctly after you use them for a while. Haven't had to have any of them
resharpened as of yet. Can you tell I've had them for a while now?
HTH
Butterfly

Old May 17th 05, 07:00 PM
Roberta Zollner

Well, glad to know I'm following some set of rules! This inspired me to
check just how many Fiskars scissors are lurking:
1 large dressmaker's shears
1 pinking
6 regular shears, 1 of them reserved for paper
2 blunt "school" scissors
2 small pointy scissors (I think Fiskars calls them "straight nail clippers"
for some reason)
1 curved nail scissors in the bathroom
plus the 6 non-Fiskars small scissors mentioned earlier
But only 1 of the rotary cutters is Fiskars, the other 3 are Olfa and Kai
I love scissors. DH knows not to ask if he may borrow them!
Roberta in D

"Debra" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:05:35 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

All my scissors are Fiskars, all 10-11 pairs, except for the 6 pairs of
very
small appliqu? and embroidery scissors that live in various sewing boxes.
(2
pairs of those were gifts anyway.) Maybe if Ginghers had been readily
available, I would have tried them, but never had problems with Fiskars.
Do
you truly own only 3 pairs of scissors? (OK, I confess to a bit of
scissors
fetish, but that's all right, isn't it?)
Roberta in D

I think you are supposed to have at least one pair per room, plus one
pair in each current project bag. I don't have that many yet, but
soon will.
Debra in VA

Old May 17th 05, 08:19 PM
Julia in MN

I have a spring-loaded Fiskars shears that I like. I do have problems
with my wrist and the joint at the base of my thumb, so they are much
easier for me to use. I would have never been able to cut out the
dresses for DD's wedding with a regular shears. I also have a pair of
nice Wyss shears that are almost 40 years old. They cut well, but are
not as comfortable for me to use as the Fiskars. I have also used DD's
Ginghers, but still prefer the Fiskars. I also have the Fiskars
spring-loaded trimming scissors that I like a lot.

I had an electric scissors 35 years or so ago, but haven't used it for a
long time. I liked it at the time, but I think it was a bit dull and I
quit using it. I suspect that those polyester double knits that I was
sewing on about that time may have been a bit hard on them. It may still
be around here someplace, though I haven't seen it recently

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old May 17th 05, 09:24 PM
Pati Cook

I love the Ginghers, have others but go back to the Ginghers. Although
I also have a pair of Marks (which is now part of Mundial) which are
also good.
Dovo brand are supposed to be very, very good. But are also more
expensive and harder to find. Solingen are perhaps tops, but again are
very expensive and hard to find.
I have Fiskars, but find they dull fairly fast. Especially if cutting
things other than cotton. But I like their thread snips because of the
very sharp point.
Weiss brand used to be pretty good, but I understand they went out of
business several years ago.
Do remember that any lightweight scissor/shear is made of a softer metal
and will not hold an edge as long as a heavier, harder material.

Personally I can't seem to use the spring open type shears. Just can't
feel as in control of them as I am used t being.

Pati, in Phx who has at least 3 pairs of 8" Ginghers, plus embroidery
scissors plus several other pairs of shears/scissors/snips. Including 3
pairs of pinking shears.

Old May 18th 05, 01:05 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Butterfly" wrote:

Had to go to Fiskars. Get annoyed with the small ones as the 'orange
thingie' that holds them closed is a pain sometimes as it doesn't 'work'
correctly after you use them for a while. Haven't had to have any of them
resharpened as of yet. Can you tell I've had them for a while now?
HTH
Butterfly

Butterfly, that little orange doohickey is replaceable! Fiskars does
have great customer service, so just contact them and explain that your
orange thingamajig is broken and how disappointed you are. They'll send
you a replacement, which is easy to install. Guess how I know all of
that?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old May 18th 05, 02:05 AM
Polly Esther

Thank you all for participating. Now, we know lots more about scissors and I
do sincerely appreciate hearing about your preferences. And, I do hope
Butterfly gets her thingamagig replaced. Polly

ink.net...

Old May 18th 05, 02:21 AM
Taria

When them thingamajigs wear out it is more than time to replace them
Polly! BG
Taria

Old May 18th 05, 04:13 AM
Butterfly

Thanks : )

Butterfly

Old May 18th 05, 11:22 AM
Christina in Ok

I have two of the other ones that also have the same problem, but the new
one I have they changed the button around.. I don't think its that easy, but
its much better then the old type.