ANNOUNCING OFFICIALLY - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (February's Blocks)

Old February 2nd 05, 09:01 PM
Tina

Mary - your quilts are awesome! You do wonderful work.
My daughter (16) is working on her own Strawberry Shortcake quilt
right now. She loves SSC! I will have to show her yours when she gets
home.
Tina

Old February 2nd 05, 09:14 PM
maryd

Thanks, Tina. I really enjoy piecing quilts. I'm trying now to complete
several to donate to Project Linus.

--
Mary
oups.com...
:

Old February 2nd 05, 11:12 PM
Donna

Sounds like fun, Melissa! Sign me up!! What's one more BOM--I'm only in two
BOM's this year. : )
Not counting the Latte quilt that I'm doing at my LQS!!

--
Donna in NE La.
"Melissa in NJ" wrote in message
NOTE: This post will be longer than my subsequent monthly postings because
it is the first and there is a lot to say...so please bear with me!

Melissa in NJ
quiltngryhndlady at comcast dot net

Since the idea of having an RCTQ block-of-the-month (BOM) was so well
received, it is now official!!!! This is the
2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month!

How this BOM works is I will post two block patterns each month near the
beginning of each month. One pieced and one applique. They will all be
available for free from Marcia Hohn's Quilter's Cache website. It is up to
you whether you would like to do the pieced block or the applique block
(or
both!). You will work at your own pace over the course of each month. You
keep your blocks. You do not mail them to me. At the end of the year you
will have twelve blocks to set into a quilt. You keep the quilt. You do
not
mail it to me. You will then have your very own 2005-2006 RCTQ BOM. At
that
time I will collect pictures of the finished quilts (and perhaps of the
blocks along the way too) so we can all see how different each quilt looks
even though we all started with the same block patterns. When I announce a
month's block patterns, I will also include the previous months' as well
so
if you decide to join along the way you will have all the blocks. Pieced
blocks will be 12" in size and applique blocks will be 8" in size. This is
driven by what Marcia has available in quantity on her site. Feel free to
size up/down if you so chose.

This BOM will run from February 2005 through March 2006. This is how the
schedule breaks down:
February 2005-January 2006: Monthly blocks
February 2006: Completing the Top (setting,sashing, borders, etc.)
March 2006: Completing the Quilt (quilting, binding, labeling, etc.) -
Done!

Marcia has a pin rating on her site that rates the level of difficulty of
her block patterns. For the pieced blocks only, for the first four they
will
be a 1 pin rating. For the second set of four they will increase in
difficulty to a 2 pin rating. The final set will be a three pin rating so
we
are challenged along the way. Don't worry. Marcia's instructions are
great,
and I won't pick the terror block from heck either!!! Because there are
less
Applique blocks to chose from, those will all be mixed and matched between
2
pin and 3 pin ratings with no particular pin rating order.

With that here are February 2005 blocks (Month 1):

Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/V_Z/Wat...tionBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/D_F/FolkFeathersBlock.html

I'll post March's at the beginning of March!

Thanks for playing!!!!

Melissa in NJ
quiltngryhndlady at comcast dot net
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply

Old February 2nd 05, 11:17 PM
Donna

Wow, Tina, your block looks great! Guess I had better get busy if I want to
keep up with you : )

--
Donna in NE La.
"Tina" wrote in message
ups.com...
Boy am I in trouble now....

DH: "What are you doing with those bins again?"
me: Looking for something.
DH: But you already have fabric out.
me: I know, just looking through.
DH: You just did laundry yesterday, what are you doing now?
me: just the misc. that didn't get picked up yesterday. (have to find
something to throw in with these quarters so it doesn't look like I am
just washing fabric.....)
DH: WHAT are you doing now? I thought you were going to go back to
bed, you're sick, you need to get some rest before kids come home from
school?
me: I am resting. This is not strenuous and it is very relaxing to
just sit and sew. I'll be fine.
DH: What IS that?! You're making another block! This is different.
This isn't what you were working on already! Is it?

me: no. At the speed of light and explanation bursts forth about the
group online I told him about - you know? and they're going to do a
BOM and I want something to do just for fun, for me and I have these
black print quarters that I was going to use for your quilt but you
didn't want prints, you just wanted solid black and tan and you are
always saying I don't ever do anything that's just for me, so......

GOT HIM!
(I'm sure everyone here has heard this conversation before....?)

So here it is.........
http://community.webshots.com/user/tmsewing RCTQ-BOM

Tina

Old February 3rd 05, 12:05 AM
Tina

Thanks so much Donna! But please, don't try to keep up with me today.
Only reason I got it done is that I was sick and miserable and focused
solely on this block for myself. On a good day, I would have been
doing 3 or 4 things at one time and wouldn't have gotten it done nearly
so quickly. LOL

Can't wait to see yours!

Tina

Old February 3rd 05, 01:37 AM
AliceW

Ok, I love the block, but now I have to decide on colors! Do I do all the
blocks in the same colors or do I get wild and crazy? Hmmmmm, I think I'll
have a glass of wine and mull over this big decision. Shopping.....I may
need to go shopping for fabric..........it's sounding better and better all
the time!

Thanks, Melissa, you're the shot in the arm I've been waiting for!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

: ==============================================
[...]
: --
: Remove STOPCRAP to reply
: --
:
:

Old February 3rd 05, 01:50 AM
Melissa in NJ

Wow Tina it looks great. I have that very animal fabric. Used it in my
jungle quilt. I can't believe you have it done already. Myself, I managed to
print the directions!!!!

I have no clue what each month's blocks will be. I plan on picking them
right before they are due. So like you guys it will be a surprise each month
even for me!!!

Melissa in NJ

--
and the "Boos Hounds" (Bear, Bits, and Lexus)
and Maxi (aka Witch Kitty with a "B"), Kenobi (aka "Kitty Wan Kenobi"),

Pics of My Quilts:
http://community.webshots.com/user/quiltngryhndlady

Quilt Something for Yourself! Adopt a Racing Greyhound!
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply

Old February 3rd 05, 02:09 AM
maryd

I haven't even printed directions. I just saved them to my desktop.

--
Mary
"Melissa in NJ" wrote in message
: Wow Tina it looks great. I have that very animal fabric. Used it in my
: jungle quilt. I can't believe you have it done already. Myself, I managed
: print the directions!!!!
:

Old February 3rd 05, 02:20 AM
AliceW

Mary, have you decided on colors yet? Will all your blocks be the same
colors?

--

"maryd" wrote in message
:I haven't even printed directions. I just saved them to my desktop.
:
: --
: Mary
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
: "Melissa in NJ" wrote in message
: ...
:: Wow Tina it looks great. I have that very animal fabric. Used it in my
:: jungle quilt. I can't believe you have it done already. Myself, I managed
:: print the directions!!!!
::
:: I have no clue what each month's blocks will be. I plan on picking them
:: right before they are due. So like you guys it will be a surprise each
: month
:: even for me!!!
::
:: Melissa in NJ
::
:: --

Old February 3rd 05, 02:27 AM
Sally Swindells

I wasn't going to add any more WIPs to the pile but don't think I can
resist it. Just going to have to think and do my sums so I get the
sizes consistant. If it was the pieced ones I was changing I could
manage that, but uping the applique takes more thought. Will have to
consult my mathematician (DH)

Sally