OT - What do you get the woman who has everything?

Old November 21st 04, 07:26 PM
georg

Default OT - What do you get the woman who has everything?

I'd love a few suggestions for what to get Gram for kissmoose. She's 92,
and will tell anyone that she doesn't want anything. I used to get her
pink catawba wine (because she would have half a glass with dinner).
When the doc made her stop, I bought her good chocolates. The Doc made
her stop that too, but I think she still needs fattening up. She doesn't
like the "fancy coffees" and rarely bothers making them for herself any
more (although she used to love them). She doesn't do much crafty any
more at all. Last year, she kindly gave mum assignments to pass out to
the grandkids, which we were VERY happy about. I had to give her 4 Get
Well Soon, 4 sympathy, 4 happy birthday cards. She did not want more
than that. And a crossword dictionary. My sis had to get her a new
tablecloth, since Mum was permitted to get her a new kitchen table. If I
make anything for her, she gets mad at me for "bothering." She's also
given back to us most of the pictures of us all that we have given her
over the years, in an effort to simplify everything.

I love my gram. But she hates having a fuss made over her, and I do
understand her perspective- that's why I have tried to give her
comestibles in the past. But there aren't a lot of times where I can do
anything for her, and kissmoose is one of those times.

What do you do for your mum or gram who is like that? And on behalf of
grandkids everywhere if you are like that- we do like the list idea or a
few hints Of course, if you were on this list and my gram, I'd know
what to send you- fabric- regardless of your SABLE status. Too bad Gram
doesn't want to sew any more.

-georg
Old November 21st 04, 07:36 PM
maryd

Gift certificate to her grocery store of choice or restaurant, box with
bathroom goodies i.e. tooth paste, deodorant, hand soap, box of blank cards
and a book of stamps.

--
Mary

Old November 21st 04, 07:41 PM
Pat in Virginia

How about: a few magazines? (Reader's Digest does a
nice Large Print edition, if that would help.) A few
books? (Lately, we've been giving paperbacks in the
Gran's favorite genre.) Basket of fruit? Postage
stamps? More of those greeting cards? Basket of 'stuff'
and such? (Soap, dental care, face cloth, hand cream...
you know, the stuff everyone needs.) Fresh flowers?
HTH. PAT in VA/USA

Old November 21st 04, 07:52 PM
georg

maryd wrote:

Gift certificate to her grocery store of choice or restaurant, box with
bathroom goodies i.e. tooth paste, deodorant, hand soap, box of blank cards
and a book of stamps.

Restaurant gift cert- that's a great idea. She'd rather go out with
friends than stay in.

Thanks.

-georg
Old November 21st 04, 07:54 PM
georg

Pat in Virginia wrote:

How about: a few magazines? (Reader's Digest does a nice Large Print
edition, if that would help.) A few books? (Lately, we've been giving
paperbacks in the Gran's favorite genre.) Basket of fruit? Postage
stamps? More of those greeting cards? Basket of 'stuff' and such? (Soap,
dental care, face cloth, hand cream... you know, the stuff everyone
needs.) Fresh flowers?
HTH. PAT in VA/USA

Books and magazines tend to come from garage sales and go back to sell
in her garage sale. Otherwise it's "wastefull."

Stamps though- that's a good idea. Save her the fuss of buying them. I
did buy the required cards already (plus some blanks).

-georg
Old November 21st 04, 08:02 PM
Polly Esther

Aha. I saw an opening. She still likes crossword puzzles?
How about a sheet magnifying thingie to place over her crossword and
make it easier to see?
Pencils that are gentle to arthritic fingers?
A pencil sharpener that is kind to both eyes and fingers? (I have one,
electric, about $7, that I only have to aim in the general direction of and
it does its job).
A soft, fat eraser. Crossword puzzles are frequently printed on fragile
paper and do need an eraser sometimes. HTH, Polly

Old November 21st 04, 08:06 PM
georg

Jan wrote:

A new Dr.... and then the wine and the chocolate!! :-)))

Jan

LOL!

-georg
Old November 21st 04, 08:07 PM
georg

Polly Esther wrote:

Aha. I saw an opening. She still likes crossword puzzles?
How about a sheet magnifying thingie to place over her crossword and
make it easier to see?
Pencils that are gentle to arthritic fingers?
A pencil sharpener that is kind to both eyes and fingers? (I have one,
electric, about $7, that I only have to aim in the general direction of and
it does its job).
A soft, fat eraser. Crossword puzzles are frequently printed on fragile
paper and do need an eraser sometimes. HTH, Polly

She does them in ink... :/

But yes, the arthritic specialty pen is good- mum got her several last
year, since mum has decided that they are the only pen or pencil *she*
will use for her arthritic fingers.

-georg

Old November 21st 04, 08:28 PM
muse9

Along with the greeting cards and postage stamps that were already mentioned
why not give her a new address book? You could add a note that you will
transfer all her addresses to the new book for her. If she is like many of
us her address book could stand some updating. I know mine is full of cross
outs and rewrites as people move.

Bonnie

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9