ISO Plastic Sewing Basket

Old September 18th 04, 02:53 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default ISO Plastic Sewing Basket

Hi Guys,
I need your help. My trusty old, Old, OLD sewing basket has finally gone to
sewing heaven :*-(. It has to be 10 or 12 years old, has a broken hinge and
deserves a fine, ceremonial burial of some sort. So -- now I am on a mission
to find a replacement. There is one at e-Bay but it is much deeper than what I
am looking for. What I have is the type with the single pull out molded
plastic tray. The lower portion has spool pins and the tray is molded to hold
a bunch of bobbins and has long portions along the sides for seam ripper, etc.
I have *tons* of stuff stored in convenient containers and thread racks but
the sewing box sits right next to my machine and has most of the wound bobbins
and threads of the most commonly used colors. I don't have a regular sewing
table type thing so have no drawers to keep stuff in. I have a 10 foot long
wall unit that has cupboards on one side, a double sized wall bed in the center
and a pull down table on the other end and this is where my sewing center is.
So -- does anyone know of a source for the old style sewing baskets or
something similar? Obviously, I don't need something all cutsey and
fancy-schmancy nor do I need anything already filled with stuff. The plastic
tackle boxes are the right size but they don't have the spool pins or the inner
tray that will **easily** accommodate bobbins, etc. If I can't find anything
else, I will likely have to make do with one of those type boxes but thought I
would ask here first. I might get lucky and find a tackle box that is the same
size as my sewing basket and just use my molded tray. The spools don't really
need to be stored on spool pins -- they do stand up just fine all by themselves
-- LOL!
Thanks for any leads. I Googled and got all sorts of strange things :-)!
Not at all surprising. Thanks & CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old September 18th 04, 05:21 PM
nana2b

I hate when something like this happens, because it is likely that "they
stopped making this one a long time ago ma'am. Don't forget to try the Home
Stores (Container Store,Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) So not forget Joanns with
your 40% off coupon too. If you can't find it near you send me detailed
photos and I will hunt for you.

Hugs, Linda in Plano Texas, with lots of cat hair in finished quilts.

Old September 18th 04, 05:53 PM
..Mickie Swall..

Got any pictures of it? You mentioned one on eBay,
is the picture of it still there? I can help look for you if
I know what to look for! g
Mickie

.

Old September 18th 04, 06:44 PM
Taria

I'll keep my eyes out for one. I had a couple like that years
ago mom had bought for birthday presents.
I am like you. I really don't like change much. Once you get
used to a system you hate to mess with it. That said, there are
a lot of new cool organizing storage choices out there.
Taria

From: "nana2b"

I hate when something like this happens, because it is likely that "they
stopped making this one a long time ago ma'am. ...........

If there were any 2nd hand stores in my neck of the woods, I would look
there too. Not my luck tho' :-(. CiaoMeow ^;;^
.

Old September 19th 04, 01:34 AM
Pat in Virginia

Mary:
I MIGHT have one here!!!! Get back to me via E mail, with
approximate size and shape. I will be clearing certain closets
this week, and I will look for the box. Of course it may have
gone to the GoodWill on the last fall clearing!
PAT in VA/USA

Tia Mary remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

Hi Guys,
I need your help. My trusty old, Old, OLD sewing basket has finally gone to
sewing heaven :*-(. It has to be 10 or 12 years old, has a broken hinge and
deserves a fine, ceremonial burial of some sort. So -- now I am on a mission
to find a replacement. There is one at e-Bay but it is much deeper than what I
am looking for. What I have is the type with the single pull out molded
plastic tray. The lower portion has spool pins and the tray is molded to hold
a bunch of bobbins and has long portions along the sides for seam ripper, etc.
...cut...

Old September 19th 04, 05:37 AM
Pauline O'Connell

A lot of girls in my quilting classes use the tool boxes on wheels. I think
they are double stacked & hold lots of stuff. They all seem to like them -
my husband keeps trying to talk me into one, but I'm happy with my current
system and you can't teach old dogs, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Pauline
[...]

:-)!

Old September 19th 04, 02:49 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "..Mickie Swall.."

Got any pictures of it? You mentioned one on eBay,
is the picture of it still there? I can help look for you if
I know what to look for! g

Here's the link to the one on eBay that is too deep --
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=81316469 1
0&rd=1 Hopefully, you won't have to copy & paste :-)! The one at eBay
has two trays and mine ony has one tray. The one I am using is about 8"x13"x4"
deep.
I don't need anything for storage -- have loads of storage. I have 4
spool boxes of assorted sewing thread in the cupboard. I have 5 spool racks of
embroidery and quilting thread -- mostly full -- hanging on the walls. I have
boxes of bobbins and assorted preser feet, etc. all in their own niche. What I
need is something smallish that I can have right by my sewing machine & serger
and that I can easily see into yet still have enough room for all of the
"stuff" I just can't seem to function without -- LOLOL!
I gotta thank everyone -- you guys have been great with offers to look for
this box for me. I even have the offer of a similar box if it works out OK.
Thanks again & CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
Old September 20th 04, 12:45 AM
shhdesigns

"

[...]

I can't believe it, that is the one that I found when I was on vacation this
year! Mine is a gold/brown colour and has the two trays. I paid $17.00 for
it! Sorry, I don't want to part with it.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues.

Old September 20th 04, 01:20 AM
Debra

On 19 Sep 2004 13:49:23 GMT, ekoluvr (Tia

From: "..Mickie Swall.."

[...]

Did you see ebay item 8132498115? I haven't bought from the seller,
but the item might be the one you are looking for.

Debra in VA