curious question

Old September 2nd 04, 09:59 AM
Charlie

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Need broadband... Trouble is it costs more. It's a matter of weighing
up the odds... Most months we don't quite use up the allocated time,
but some months we need more, and if DH is working from home and dialing
in, he's occupying the line (though he doesn't pay for work calls as
they go through a different number) and my customers cannot get through,
and I can't get out to order fabrics and stuff or do the historical
research for things like this month's 71st Highland Light Infantry
jackets, circa 1808!

Take a look at Wannadoo, we're paying £18 a month for 512k broadband! No
setup fee either I think.

Charlie.

Old September 2nd 04, 10:58 AM
Janner

Hi Kate

Have you looked into using NTL? We play a flat rate for dial-up about £20
per month, which includes phone calls up to that as well, ever such a good
deal. We're about to get broadband here, but we're selling up (( so no
point signing up for it.
--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going on..." ---
Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

"Kate Dicey" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
DrQuilter wrote:

not that I am for advertising in this group or anything like that, but a
doubt has piqued my curiosity. every time we get one of those obnoxious
posts somebody brings out the fact that 'some of us' pay per minute. I
know my mom does that back home, but I am wondering how many of us
really do that and how many have a DSL or dialup plan with a constant
rate no matter how many hours you are connected?

I have dial-up with 40 hours a month, so wasting it downloading ads I
don't want is a painful experience: if I go over my allocated time, they
cut me off, even if I had hours left unused the month before! OUCH!
This is also why I usually read and answer news groups off line.

Yesterday I spent 3 hours trying to upload my latest website update
(there are loads of photos of the latest escapades!), and it was all
wasted when the transfer was interrupted by a cold caller trying to sell
me double glazing. I'm afraid they got short shrift from me... I
didn't quite tell him I'd bricked up the windows to escape people like
him, but it was close!

Need broadband... Trouble is it costs more. It's a matter of weighing
up the odds... Most months we don't quite use up the allocated time,
but some months we need more, and if DH is working from home and dialing
in, he's occupying the line (though he doesn't pay for work calls as
they go through a different number) and my customers cannot get through,
and I can't get out to order fabrics and stuff or do the historical
research for things like this month's 71st Highland Light Infantry
jackets, circa 1808!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

---

Old September 2nd 04, 11:29 AM
Valerie in FL

That was true at one time, but locations served via fiber can often get DSL
now. I am 9 miles from my TSS, and got it last year. If you've been told in
the past that it's not available because you're served by fiber, or you are
too far from the TSS, call them again.

Valerie in FL

"nbhilyard" wrote in message
Jan, is DSL Deluxe really the fastest? Or do you mean the fastest for a
residence? At the library we have a T-1 line, which is wonderful. (Our
local area network has 75 PCs which are basically on, and online, all day
long.)

DSL only works if you're within 2 miles of the telephone switching
station -- it uses copper wire and that's as far as copper wire transmits
unless it has a booster. Which our SBC/Ameritech does not. [So it was
explained to me by the SBC/Ameritech guy.]

So I have cable modem, thus freeing me from having to have a second phone
line.

Nann

"Boca Jan" wrote in message
.. .
We have DSL Deluxe. DH has to have the fastest access possible for work.

It
is nice. Everything just pops up for me. One fee per month.

Boca Jan

Old September 2nd 04, 02:04 PM
Denise Jameson

I believe anyone in Europe pays per minute (could be wrong though).
Tutu (in Africa)) ? Heidi (in Germany)? Can you confirm for us?

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Old September 2nd 04, 02:07 PM
Bonnie

I have DSL connection thru Sprint. One monthly fee for DSL
and phone line. We were able to drop one phone line and
still receive calls while being online. When the kids were
home we considered having 3 lines.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old September 2nd 04, 02:27 PM
Packrat

I most certainly don't I have ADSL

Here in the Netherlands we can choose between normal dial up, ISDN, ADSL, or
cable

Mobile phones have web possibilities too.. "even" WAP

can't imagine why you think we don't have any of that... the only thing we
don't have is cheap quilting fabrics like you have in the USA ...ROFLOL!!!

--
8-)

Jessamy
In the Netherlands
http://www.geocities.com/jess_ayad/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old September 2nd 04, 02:37 PM
Shirley.Caylor

I have Starband satellite and pay about $40 a month. It is always on and
works great except during very heavy rain or snow. I'm a tax preparer and
can't afford to be away from the internet during e-filing tax season so I
also have a dial-up account with Bell South for "just in case there's a
storm". I only pay $9.95 a month for that with unlimited minutes. So far
(knock on wood) I haven't had to use it so I don't know how slow things
might download for the ng.

Shirley

"DrQuilter" wrote in message
not that I am for advertising in this group or anything like that, but a
doubt has piqued my curiosity. every time we get one of those obnoxious
posts somebody brings out the fact that 'some of us' pay per minute. I
know my mom does that back home, but I am wondering how many of us really
do that and how many have a DSL or dialup plan with a constant rate no
matter how many hours you are connected?
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)

Old September 2nd 04, 02:41 PM
Diana Curtis

Most yanks know Africa is a seperate country, even the ones who arent quite
sure where Canada is.
Diana