Popular Misconception *a rant about group policy*

Old August 25th 04, 03:58 PM

I'm making a car quilt for DS out of Sushi fabrics (he would eat nothing but
Sushi if given the choice!). Also working on a Hug. About to start cutting some
of the yummy NZ fabrics I got from Shona for a quilt for my DSis. Then there is
the scrappy, just for me, nickel quilt that is just in my head so far -- but I
have about a jillion 5 inch squares to make it from Waiting for the mini RR to
arrive so I can dive into that too.

Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

Michelle in Gander wrote:

I'm working on a Rail fence WH for my mom, a Debbie Mumm calender panel WH
for both my parents, I have a Halloween quilt-for-me waiting for backing and
batting, a friendship star quilt waiting for borders, batting and backing,
two RR (only one left to do though), a block swap, an ornament exchange, AND
I'm handpiecing a Sister's Choice quilt for my aunt, who happens to be a nun
(i.e sister in French). She's given all kinds of scraps and has more for me
next time I'm in Quebec (like maybe next summer, hopefully).
Wow, that's a lot more than I thought. I'd better get cracking!
Michelle in Gander

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
What's everyone working on quilt wise??

Pati, in Phx working on several projects to be class samples.

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old August 25th 04, 04:34 PM
Julia in MN

Natalie wrote:
ooo.. Thanks! I'll look into it..

Diana Curtis wrote:

Have you looked at Hancocks of Paducah? I see 10 Olfa blades, 45mm, for
$24.98... but I dont know what shipping is.
HTH
Diana

At one time they had free shipping for Internet orders. Then they
changed it to free shipping for online orders over $50. The incentive to
order online must have worked, because it looks like they've changed it
again -- there is no indication of any free shipping offers. They charge
$5.00 S&H for orders under $50, and it goes up from there.
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/cs.html I have ordered batting and a few
notions (never any fabric) from them and had good service.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 25th 04, 06:19 PM
Boca Jan

I safety pin baste my quilts first, then hand baste between the pin rows,
then hand quilt. I like how the material stays in place.

Boca Jan

wrote in message
Natalie,

Before I knew any better, I pin basted a quilt for hand quilting. Now that

know better, I'll probably do the same thing again ;-) Pin basting is

soooooo
much easier IMHO than thread basting. And the pins really didn't get in

the way
of the hoop all that much. No prob to move one or two.

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl

Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

Natalie wrote:

snipped I have to re-baste the baby quilt I'm working on.. I used

pins
before I
learned that hand quilting needs to be basted with thread (b/c of the

hoop!)

snipped

remove NOSPAM to reply

Old August 25th 04, 07:22 PM
Sandy Foster

What's everyone working on quilt wise??

Pati, in Phx working on several projects to be class samples.

Not much at the moment. DD's babysitter quit before she started, so DH
and I have had a 3.5 year old and an 8 week old for the past two weeks.
Boy, that baby has good lungs and *lots* of stamina! I'm exhausted and
reminded of why I've said before that I won't do permanent childcare.
Thank goodness the new sitter starts next Monday -- DH and I wouldn't
last much longer.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old August 25th 04, 07:37 PM
Julia in MN

Another easy way to get a quilt basted for hand quilting is to take it
to a machine quilter who can quilt an appropriately-spaced grid with
large stitches.

Old August 25th 04, 08:01 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Same here, Anne. I always pin baste, hand quilt,
using a round, wood hoop.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old August 26th 04, 02:36 AM
Kim E

I get Rotary blades, needles, etc from Atlanta Thread and Supply.
http://www.atlantathread.com/ Their phone number is 1-800-847-1001.
Call them for a catalog. They ship fast, shipping rates go from $6.25
for a $10 order to $9.50 for orders over $150.

That number again is 1-800-837-1001

They are currently running a 15% off sale from their sale catalog.

With the sale prices:
A pack of 5 blades for the Olfa 45mm rotary cutter is $11.52, the
cutter is $7.01.
The jumbo 60mm rotary cutter is $11.07, a pack of 5 blades is $17.17.
The small (28mm) rotary cutter is $5.09, a pack of 2 (two) blades is
$2.76

A pack of 100 Schmetz machine needles is $22.61, a pack of 10 is
$3.10. They also carry leather, jean and stretch needles.

I have also purchased rotary mats, seam rippers and thread from them
at substantial savings from TSWLTH or my LQS.

NAYY, just a VERY satisfied customer.

Kim

Natalie wrote in message news:zcTWc.2966$9P.1972@trnddc04...
Oh! Does anyone know where to get bulk blades? I found one place that
sold 5 for $29 but with $6 shipping it didn't help much...

Any other recommendations?

(I usually wait till I have a STWLTH coupon...)

NS

Shona in NZ wrote:
Oh yes! I would love to buy bulk blades. Wouldn't that be heaven

Shona who finds cutting with a new blade blissful in NZ

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message

Polly Esther wrote:

I have asked here and gotten great answers to such questions as where

can I

get the best price for green-band SM needles, and we had a lot of fun

with

the best safety pins, also including where and how much. Please don't

feel

timid about sharing any great deals you discover, some of us sorely need
them. Polly

Especially on rotary cutter blades. I'd buy them in bulk the way I do
needles if I could save money on them.

--Lia

Old August 26th 04, 02:39 AM
Juju

I just ordered 7 Olfa 45mm blades from Joann.com for $19.99 and with a
$30. purchase I got free shipping so I ordered a new mat also on sale.
Best deal I have seen.

Judy

Old August 26th 04, 03:30 AM

I went to Joanns today, 40% coupon in hand and because the $19.99 was a
special price already, they wouldn't honor the coupon on it :-(

Still, $2.85 per blade is an ok price. Not an OK one, just ok.
--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

Pauline O'Connell wrote:

And did you see the earlier post about TSWLTF? They have a special Olfa 7
pk for $19.99 (regularly $29.99), but if you use a 40% off coupon, it's
$17.99.

Pauline