Popular Misconception *a rant about group policy*

Old August 30th 04, 08:28 AM
nzl*

hells bells and king pecans!!!
i thot (sic) i needed to go back to school to learn how to read again.
isnt there enough goings on round the planet already without folks getting
their knickers in a twist over whatever they 'perceived' was
meant by what anyone says here.
if anyone doesnt like someone elses thoughts on an issue, try a trip abroard
to any of the countrys that are currently experiencing strife, war, ethnic
cleansing (aka rape), starvation/lack of clean water and/or murder/death
because of 'a different point of view'.

i was always of the opinion that quilters are a peaceful lot and are much
better at peace'n the world back together than tearing it asunder as seems
to be the 'tone' of some folk here.
blatant spam has a place...on the marketplace ng.
personal opinions/experience with a website works here with a simple NAYY.

trolls are a different story and i'm thinking theres some about and
if anyone 'thinks' i'm talking about them, then i possibly am.
back into my hidey hole under the quilt to keep warm and cosy as the temp
outside hits 3C again tonight under the Bluemoon.
hither and yon eh, lol. my hither is just too cold to make it to yon.
jeanne
left out the rest of the swearing, lol
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Sharon Harper" wrote...
I agree Jalynne, I too love this group and no matter how busy I am always
find a spare "minute" to read and check up on things. I may not always post
(especially in the last week or two) because I'm running hither and yon, or
because the actual threads aren't my thing, or whatever. But I'm still
deeply fascinated by "my family" and have to know all the goings on.

I know what Diana was trying to say and I feel, alas, that it was another
case of people misinterpreting (sp?) what they read and firing off a
response before they think about it. I've been guilty of it before so I am
not pointing fingers or making accusations, JMHO thats all.
--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

"Jalynne" wrote...
I think you missed Diana's point. (I'm presuming to speak on her behalf,

because I

gently snipped

Old August 30th 04, 09:01 AM
Sharon Harper

Oh Cr*p, Jeanne! LOL - I can always trust you to put into words what I'm
thinking. You should hang out here more often!

I'm actually thinking I may do some sewing tonight - it's cold enough to
have half a quilt top over my lap. Oh nuts! The olympics are finished -
what am I supposed to watch now? Anyone know of any good TV shows where a
girl can have a good perv on a bloke? ROFLOL - who has the time????

Old August 30th 04, 10:35 AM
Patti

[resend - the original seems to have been eaten by the system
somewhere].

OK Diana
I have been reading on the sidelines during this discussion, and have
wondered whether or not I should step in.
Your original post, I believe you, was not intended to hurt or offend.
However, the *timing* of it made it inevitable that it would be seen by
most people - including me - as a response to the brief skirmish on
advertising (which had been inadvertent). You did come across as very
dictatorial when you said that you believed that people paid to be here
and that it was a class rather than an informal get-together, and that
distractions were not welcome.
It also sounded as though you had made a pronouncement and you wanted to
know whether the rest of us agreed. I'm sorry, dear, but this really
was how it could have been read.
We all have different reasons for being here; and *no-one's* personal
vision of the group can be paramount. It does *not* set out to be a
class, in any sense of the word - we have the Quilt University for that.
It is a leisure-time activity. In the latter part of your post, when
you were beginning your sentences with 'do we want ...' and so on, the
'we' definitely sounded like what British people would call 'the royal
we' - that is, meaning 'I'. Whether or not you meant it, that is how it
could have been read.
I really don't understand why you came down so heavily on distractions.
If I may say so, many of your own posts and conversations with other
bright, young things (and others), would fall into that category. That
is not to say there is no place for such; and if anyone does not want to
read threads they can kill them as easily as winking.
You are not alone in feeling pain from this I can assure you; but it was
your post which started it off. You must have seen that you ran that
risk. Its timing was bad. Its tone was unfortunate. You did not
mention anyone's name, but your 'audience' could be forgiven for
thinking that you were affronted that the group was not acting as *you*
thought it should and you were letting us all know about it.
You will know, I hope, that I am writing this purely in a spirit of
trying to redress the balance by putting to you - gently - that you
could have said what you did at a more opportune time, perhaps a week or
so after the advertising squabble (which in itself was most unfortunate
and unnecessary), and with rather less of the attitude that your own
view of the group was the right one.
..
In article , Diana Curtis
writes
Could SOMEONE please show me where I chopped anyones head off? And just
where did I tell anyone what to think or do? Im seeing people tell me Im a
nasty person and unkind. The only unkind thing Im seeing is posts from
people who did not understand my original post. I didnt attack anyone. You
wouldnt believe the pain this whole mess is causing me. I just do not tell
people what to do. Believe it or not, the truth is the truth.
When I ask my attackers where they see that I attacked anyone they fall
silent. So, please, someone point this out to me? Jan, Judy, Gen? Would you
please stop calling me nasty names and just explain what is really bothering
you?
Diana

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 30th 04, 02:19 PM
KJ

I just love to read the messages from you gals from down under. ...."a good
perv on a bloke"??? Could that mean those thoughts I was having about
wishing I was 19 again when watching Michael Phelps or some of the other
swimmers?? I do watch ER to see Noah Wyle (AKA Dr. Carter). Any other
pieces of eye candy anyone else wants to contribute??

"

Old August 30th 04, 04:31 PM
Queen of Squishies

Sandy, if you are coming to October in Illinois, please email Musicmaker!!!
We have an annual RCTQ meet-up at her house in October, and the date has not
been set.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
getting excited about this!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar

Old August 30th 04, 05:44 PM
Don/Gen

Yes, it's back in Columbus again. From what I heard they are moving the NQA
headquarters here and will have the show here every other year,alternating
with different cities.
Gen

"Vickie Y" wrote in message
Hey Gen! Is the show really back in Columbus next year?! Goody! I'd love

come back down and see you all again. I happen to know a few dumpsters
around there, too! VBG

Vickie in Cleveland

Gen wrote...
Come to Columbus next year for the NQA show and I'll show you lots of
dumpsites! DDM can tell you, we had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, they
didn't get the dumpster tour.
Gen

Old August 30th 04, 05:47 PM
Don/Gen

Shall we just say we got lost a LOT driving around Houston at night, and
came upon several less than desirable parts of town with lots of dumpsters.
Also saw 4 convention centers, all with the same name.
Gen

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
Dumpster tour? Now that sounds interesting - please tell me more!!

--

"Don/Gen" wrote in message
Come to Columbus next year for the NQA show and I'll show you lots of
dumpsites! DDM can tell you, we had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, they
didn't get the dumpster tour.
Gen

" Ellison" wrote in message
om...
Howdy!
I give this post a 5.5
for lack of warmth in the movement and a big splash
when it hit the pool.

Ragmop/Sandy--wishing Gen would join us for another
Dumpster Tour & quilt show ;-D

"Don/Gen" wrote in message
Why do you feel it's up to you to ask what we want? It seems to me

we've
done OK over the past few years. If you don't like how we post,

maybe
you
should follow the suggestion to join another group. Personally, I'm

sick
of
you posting in a policing mode. I certainly feel sorry for anyone

that
makes a mistake and posts something you don't feel is right. If we

wanted
police state, we'd move on to another area!
Gen

Old August 30th 04, 09:33 PM
Sharon Harper

Yes we are a fairly honest bunch down here - brutally honest sometimes. We
say what we think! Oh and I don't mind watching the CSIs - both of them -
Gil Grissom (can't remember the actors name) and David Caruso, oh my!

Old August 30th 04, 09:35 PM
nzl*

to one and all who are still reading this thread...like we all dont have
enough threads on us already, eh.

'to thunk or not to thunk'...
that was (i think) the intention that generated this thread...
anything anyone says here can be 'taken' in as many different ways as there
are people reading it. has the world gone king pecans?

from personal experience most americans when they say 'we' mean just that,
'we' as in all of us reading this including me rather than the commonwealth
'we' as HRH says 'we are not amused'. n.b. i spent half my life in the
usa(born/raised in california, dont blame arnie on me folks), 7 months
living in england, 27yrs in nz and i think i've a fair idea what the
difference is...for the most part at any rate

folks do pay for the 'joy' of reading any ng when they pay for their isp.
some folks pay a flat monthly rate with unlimited time and download.
other folks pay per hour and per mb/gb of download. its those folks that
dont wanna read what i'm writing now nor any of the other twaddle thats been
expanding this thread so far, including mine, lol.
enough twaddle from me at this point, snorfle.
hugz all round
jeanne
i never did read Di's original post as a rant or whatever else anyone read
it as but just as a 'thunker' and i'm still freezing my patootie off
downunder, where is spring already, geeeeez
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Patti" wrote...
[resend - the original seems to have been eaten by the system
somewhere].
OK Diana
I have been reading on the sidelines during this discussion, and have
wondered whether or not I should step in.
Your original post, I believe you, was not intended to hurt or offend.
snipped
You did come across... snipped
I'm sorry, dear, but... snipped
We all have different reasons for being heresnipped doh!
It does *not* set out to be a class snipped
It is a leisure-time activity.
snipped
I really don't understand why you came down so heavily on distractions.
maybe cuz spam sucks a big lemon or rotten egg

snipped here too i think, now i'm all out of sync

If I may say so,
snipped

Old August 30th 04, 09:39 PM
Jalynne

Yes, indeedy, Sharon. I have this thing about older men anyway.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list