Where does everyone keep their stash??

Old May 8th 04, 12:54 PM
the black rose

georg wrote:
And no, I won't be bribed to reveal where it is. /wink.

I know where your stash is.

All your sparkly fabric are belong to us.

*huge evil grin*

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old May 8th 04, 05:04 PM
Dr. Quilter

how about purple, orange, brown, black?

I feel sorry for your poor quilter friend that had to hide the fabric
from her husband! sounds like a quilter's urban legend!

Shirley Ellen wrote:

I keep mine in Steralite bins that stack and have drawers that pull out. I
have some larger pieces in a bookcase so I can see them. I have smaller
pieces in individual plastic containers.. although my smaller bits are
getting bigger by the day.. I may need a couple more Steralite containers. I
sort basically by colour, but use only a rating of red, blue, gold and green
so I only need 4 containers. I don't have much aside from pure cotton since
quilting is all I've been doing lately, but I do use one of the Steralite
containers to keep leftover pieces of batting in and that is where I put
anything that is poly or something else.

This reminds me of a story... a quilter friend of mine kept her stash in the
trunk of her car so her husband wouldn't find out how much she'd been
spending on fabric. Her car was stolen and when the police came to tell her
they had recovered it they also told her that all of her fabric was still
safe in the trunk... her DH said "Fabric????"

Ooops.

Shirley

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
Old May 8th 04, 05:06 PM
Dr. Quilter

10 yards? I have never bought more than 3 yards of one fabric! )

NightMist wrote:

Bolts and cuts over 10 yards go on the utility shelves...

Old May 8th 04, 05:45 PM
Diana Curtis

Its more fun than you think. Try it sometime. Heck, why not really cut loose
and buy a whole bolt?! Its just fabric.
Diana

Old May 9th 04, 12:05 AM
georg

NightMist wrote:

Bolts and cuts over 10 yards go on the utility shelves...

You can't make a full Elizabethan gown with less than 8 yards. And if
you want to back a twin size or bigger with the same fabric, you need
bigger pieces.

-georg

Old May 9th 04, 01:10 PM
C & S

Done that! It makes it easier to do when you have a project in mind. I'll
definatly give it a shot when just S.E.Xing.

Carole

Old May 9th 04, 05:34 PM
NightMist

I also do garment sewing.

Before I swore off wedding gowns, I would sometimes use over 20 yards
in one gown. I imagine I will go back to making them sometime, but
I'll probably ask for references when I do! The last request I got
for one was a lady who wanted one for her grandaughter "Just like
Princess Grace's"! This did not encourage me to take it up again.

Like I said before, most of it is undyed. This way I get the colors I
want a lot cheaper than buying them piecemeal. And when I make
clothes the thread always matches the fabric exactly, because I make
the garment then dye it when it is done, or dye the thread at the same
time I dye the fabric. (G)

So I only have to buy fabric when I want a specific print.
Now that the quilt shop half an hour out of town is under new
management, I may end up buying commercial fabric more though!
*chuckle*

NightMist

NightMist wrote:

Bolts and cuts over 10 yards go on the utility shelves...

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old May 9th 04, 06:18 PM
NightMist

NightMist wrote:

Bolts and cuts over 10 yards go on the utility shelves...

You can't make a full Elizabethan gown with less than 8 yards. And if
you want to back a twin size or bigger with the same fabric, you need
bigger pieces.

Yup.

I usually estimate at least 10 when I am making something like that,
for some styles I double that estimate.
It never ceases to amaze me that in an age when all fabric was
handwoven, popular fashion dictated cartridge pleats!
Of course, some of the fuller skirted styles from later periods can
take even more fabric than that. Particularly some of the ruffley
styles with all the petticoats, underskirts, and the belled sleeves.

I don't do much costumeing anymore, but I still sew a lot of clothes.
When I am buying a specific fabric for a clothing item, I usually buy
at least five yards if I can. That way if I mess up, all is not lost,
and I will usually have some left to make accessories and whatnot.

And of course if you are making clotheing it is always good to have
acres of muslin on hand. Since I also do corsets, I have almost as
much duck as I do muslin (I do a three layer variety of corset as
opposed to a two layer).

NightMist