alphabet blocks

Old March 23rd 04, 04:44 AM
Coleen

What an opportune time for this thread for me. One of the quilts that I am
hoping to make for the upcoming grandbabies is of alphabet blocks and now I
have an idea of how to put them together.

Thanks ladies.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"nzl*" wrote in message
x x x x x x
x x x x
x x x x x x
x x x x
x x x x x x

that works!!
jeanne

http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Mystified One" wrote...
When doing alphabet blocks, I can't make the set of 26 come out even. No
matter how hard I try, I end up with one left or one blank space.

I even tried figuring out how to make the blocks with alternating blocks,

no
luck.

I've already got the ABC blocks, so I can't combine two at the end.

They're
redwork 8-inch blocks that I bought on ebay. Doing alternating blocks

that
are red and white would be ideal, I think, but I can't get them to come

out
even.

I'm curious how anyone else has done these, if they have. If not, how

would
you make them come out even?

Old March 23rd 04, 04:46 AM
Mystified One

My aunt's had a Y and Z block together, which made hers 25 blocks instead of
26. Made the quilt easier to do, although I think she wins the contest on
slowest quilt. It was her baby quilt that my grandmother had started, and
she was nearing 70 when it was completed.

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
funny, in spanish there are 27 letters so I guess you could do a 9x3
(though that would be long and skinny). 26 is divisible by 2 and by 13,
but that would be even worse... I don't think it is divisible by
anything else that is useful, uh? that's the problem... I've seen it
done with empty spaces. I have collected theme fabrics to do one of
these or more, but haven't tried it yet (the lack of symmetry troubles
me!) )

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old March 23rd 04, 10:33 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 03:08:18 GMT, " Ellison"
wrote:

Howdy!
Ah, yes, the rr-- errrrre! I love it!

Quilting without errrrrre,
Ragmop/Sandy
"nzl*" wrote in message
http://spanish.allinfo-about.com/pro...-alphabet.html

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
we don't count ll and ch as letters... I think. I don't remember, but
both Fer and I came up with 27:

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n ñ o p q r s t u v w x y z.

but I am not sure. I wrote it down and had 26, then had to go back and
add the ñ so now I am confused. Cc to DH for confirmation.. .) Been
living here way too long!

my plan is to make a bilingual ABC quilt. maybe reversible. I am
collecting fabrics that can be used for two letters. ej. apple fabric
would be the A in english and the M in spanish for Manzana.

Well if you ever find fabric with hedgehogs on it, let me know.
It's one of the few words with start with the letter "yo" in Russian.
Russian has 33 "letters" but 2 of those are more like pronunciation
marks, which influence the letter they are placed after - "hard sign"
and "soft sign"... you pronounce the letter accordingly. So there are
no pictures or words for those two letters because they are never at
the beginning of a word. That leaves 31 letters to find fabric for!
On a note of curiosity - the "A is for apple" starts the English
alphabet, but in Russian, "Ya is for yabloko" (apple) would end the
alphabet because ya is the last letter.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old March 23rd 04, 03:32 PM
Patti

Now that, Jo, is one of the fascinating sort of fact that I will carry
around in my mind to the end of my days!! I just love that kind of
knowledge.
You can't believe what a little buzz I have going having learned that.
And, I'm not being in the least sarcastic.
I shall tell my little maths coaching class on Monday; they need little
snippets to give one-up on their smarter classmates!!
..
In article , Johanna Gibson
writes
snipped
On a note of curiosity - the "A is for apple" starts the English
alphabet, but in Russian, "Ya is for yabloko" (apple) would end the
alphabet because ya is the last letter.

-- Jo in Scotland

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 23rd 04, 04:04 PM
frood

Does this help? NAYY!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

news

Old March 23rd 04, 04:15 PM
Dr. Quilter

oh come on! where did they get that from? RR is NOT a letter!!! I was
doubtful about the ch and the ll, but rr??? no way!!! I mean, I could
use it for a quilt, but never heard of it and definitely not what I was
taught!

Old March 23rd 04, 04:26 PM
Dr. Quilter

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfabeto_espa%F1ol

El alfabeto castellano se compone de las 27 letras siguientes:
The spanish alphabet is composed of the following 27 letters:

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, Ñ, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W,
X, Y, Z

Tiene las 26 letras del alfabeto romano más la letra Ñ, que representa
un sonido nasal palatal. Desde que la Ñ es un carácter separado y no una
letra acentuada se alfabetiza detrás de la N.
It has the 26 lettes of the roman alphabet plus the Ñ, that represents a
nasal palatal sound. As Ñ is a different character and not an
accentuated letter, it is placed after the N.

Hay tres sonidos en castellano que están representados por dígrafos: ch,
ll y rr. Tradicionalmente ch y ll estaban alfabetizados después c y l
respectivamente. En 1994 la Real Academia Española decidió que no era
así y que serían consideradas dos letras una detrás de la otra.
There are 3 sounds in spanish that are represented by digraphs (sp?):
ch, ll and rr. Traditionally, ch and ll were placed after C and L,
respectively. In 1994 the Real Academia Española (who decides what is
legit and not in the Spanish Language, I think there is no equivalent
for English though I believe the Oxford dictionary would be a loose
equivalent? What do the Brits say?) decided it was not so and that they
would be considered two letters, one after the other!

(translation into English is mine). I don't know what they've been
teaching you guys but it needs some updating! )

Dr. Quilter wrote:

we don't count ll and ch as letters... I think. I don't remember, but
both Fer and I came up with 27:

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n ñ o p q r s t u v w x y z.

but I am not sure. I wrote it down and had 26, then had to go back and
add the ñ so now I am confused. Cc to DH for confirmation.. .) Been
living here way too long!

my plan is to make a bilingual ABC quilt. maybe reversible. I am
collecting fabrics that can be used for two letters. ej. apple fabric
would be the A in english and the M in spanish for Manzana.

Ellison wrote:

Howdy!
Aren't there 29 letters in the Spanish alphabet?
ch, ll, ñ in addition to the standard English.
Add something special to one more block to make 30 blocks.

Old March 23rd 04, 06:04 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Standard high school Spanish class in the USA,
in the Castillian style. Something like this:
http://www.internetpadre.com/spanish/spanish.html
My teacher was a Mexican-American from south Texas
(on the border); I still have to go with the way he said so. g
The "rr" was included so that we'd learn to roll those "r"s.

Ragmop/Sandy--finished a quilt, taking pics before sending
it back to its owner -- I love Finished quilts! g
edredón terminado (?)

http://w4.systranlinks.com/trans?sys...s%2Findex.ivnu

Old March 23rd 04, 07:33 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Looks like you're both right:

"Traditionally, in the Spanish alphabet, ch, ll, rr and ñ are individual
letters. In most dictionaries Ch follows C so that copia [copy] and cuchillo
[knife] come before chaleco [vest]. The same follows for L and LL, n and
ñ. This also happens with r and rr when they occur in the middle of words
(as noted above, rr is spelled r when it begins a word.) In 1995 the
Spanish alphabet was revised to eliminate most of the compound letters.
Therefore, the Spanish alphabet has all the letters of the English alphabet
except for the additional ñ. However, most dictionaries still adhere to the
traditional letters. Many Latin American countries have not decided to
follow Spain's lead in this matter. Also, these traditional letters are
used when spelling aloud. Therefore it is important to know the original
standard Spanish alphabet."
(http://www.drlemon.net/Grammar/alphabet.html, and also Mrs. Bocolini, my
Argentinian Spanish teacher. *grin*)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

m...

Old March 23rd 04, 08:23 PM
bogus address

my plan is to make a bilingual ABC quilt. maybe reversible. I am
collecting fabrics that can be used for two letters. ej. apple
fabric would be the A in english and the M in spanish for Manzana.

That sounds like a fantastically difficult puzzle - if you weren't
careful you could end up trying to find a fabric motif for something
that began with Q in English and X in Spanish.

Well if you ever find fabric with hedgehogs on it, let me know.
It's one of the few words with start with the letter "yo" in Russian.
Russian has 33 "letters" but 2 of those are more like pronunciation
marks, which influence the letter they are placed after - "hard sign"
and "soft sign"... you pronounce the letter accordingly. So there are
no pictures or words for those two letters because they are never at
the beginning of a word.

Same goes for soft-G (G with a tilde on top) in Turkish - pronounced
like W after some vowels, Y after others, and for others it lengthens
the previous vowel, but it never comes at the start of a word. (It
got in the alphabet for historical/political reasons, Turkish spelling
is otherwise dead logical). And the only place you ever see a W in
Turkish is on signs, where it represents something even less common
on fabrics than hedgehogs - "WC".

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.