Making quilts for relatives

Old February 4th 04, 01:10 PM
Pat in Virginia

Default Making quilts for relatives

Sooner or later I think every quilter gets a request from
family/friends for a commissioned quilt. Now I am faced with one
of those requests. The person wants a queen size quilt in certain
colors in a 'Country' Pattern. "Do you have an extra quilt I
could buy? Or maybe you could make me a quilt?" The email went
on to say ... "If not can you recommend a shop that sells quilts?
Or do you think I'd do better at a Department Store, or perhaps
Walmart, or Target?" (PUHLEEZE!)

I want to say: "I do not have 'extra' quilts." Okay, that is
easy. I then would like to state that while I do not have the
time to do this, I can detail the costs to make one. Then I'd
list the costs of fabric, batting, and a professional long arm
quilter. If anyone has suggestions on those topics, I'm eager to
know. Also, what can I say about WHERE to buy a quilt?

This subject has been discussed here before, but it was quite a
while ago. I do know that some of the remarks were excellent. I'd
like to hear your thoughts again.

Thanks, PAT in VA/USA
Old February 4th 04, 01:57 PM
AliceW

Someone recently saw my YBR quilt and said they would love it if I would
make one for them. They would pay of course, so what would it cost? I did
an excel spread sheet with all the materials and associated costs. This did
not include labor. Once they saw what it cost, they thought they would find
another solution.

I knew this person had no clue about what it cost and once they saw it in B
& W, they would reconsider. They are young kids, just looking for a couch
blankie. Gave them a new perspective on quilting, though.

Alice

Old February 4th 04, 02:35 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: Pat in Virginia

Sooner or later I think every quilter gets a request from
family/friends for a commissioned quilt. ....

About 10 years ago, my DSis asked me to make a quilt for a friend who was
having a baby. She said she would pay for supplies and whatever I wanted for
labor. At that time, I had only done one piece block quilt (all previous
quilts had been whole cloth blocks) and I thought this would be a good time to
learn machine piecing.
I am unbelievably anal so I knew I would be OK getting all my points to
match up **fairly well**. The recipient knew she was having a girl and only
cared about having something soft & pretty so I could do whatever type quilt I
wanted. Neither my DSis or the recipient or anyone close could quilt so they
wouldn't be terribly critical if the points didn't match.
I have since made a whole passel of baby quilts for DSis and have learned
how to do a bunch of different types of blocks. I certainly don't make any
money on them but it was a great way to get experience making something that I
knew was going to be appreciated and wasn't a huge project so I could complete
it fairly quickly. Making all those baby quilts also contributed a lot to my
quilting fabric stash :-))!
During all of this, I learned that I don't like to do pieced blocks with
lots of little pieces! I can do them, I just don't like to do them. Log cabin
blocks are about the only multi-piece block I enjoy working with. Nine patch
is OK as are pinwheel blocks. I just know that I would never do a mariner's
compass or drunkard's path or jacobs ladder. I just don't like working with
all those little pieces!
Anyway, I have made tons of quilts for my DSis but she is the only one in
the family who has *asked* me to make quilts. I have a friend who keps
telling me that if I was a *real* friend I would make her a DWR quilt! I told
her in no uncertan terms that wasn't going to happen! Her sister quilts and
another friend whom she has know for ages longer than me also quilts. Either
of them can make her the DWR but it's not gonna be me! Lordy, if I don't like
something relatively straight forward like a jacobs ladder block, could you see
me making a DWR??? I don't mind the curved pieces, I just don't like ALL of
those little pieces -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old February 4th 04, 03:06 PM
Leslie in Missouri

Pat-

They would certainly "do better" at WalMart, Target or a department
store if they are looking at price only. If you really don't want to do
it, and I don't blame you cuz I sure wouldn't, give them the "minimum
wage x hours needed + LQS fabric" pricing. That price would discourage
anybody! LOL

Leslie (wishing you the strength and fortitude needed to deal with
this!)

Old February 4th 04, 03:24 PM
Susie

Pat,
I had only been quilting for a month and my sister in law
TOLD me she wanted a quilt.
I said "NO".
)
Susie

Old February 4th 04, 03:46 PM
Musicmaker

Alice - would you share your excel sheet?

--
Cindy Bettinger

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/
http://simplymusic.net

Old February 4th 04, 03:49 PM
DDM

Pat, I think you could certainly educate them on "getting what you pay for".
WE all know that quilts from China can be purchased for less money, but most
non-quilters don't. Or if they do know that they don't know why the
imported quilt still isn't the best buy.

Dee in LeRoy, NY (no "extra" quilts here either)

Old February 4th 04, 03:55 PM
Taria

Being one of a large family this does come up
once in a while. Last time was my nephews wife
who asked if I could make the boys matching quilts.
They were 1 and 4. I actaully had some time and told
her that if she were to go and get the fabrics I
would do simple quilts. I even told her where
she could get good fabric for reasonable prices.
I never heard from her again about it. I'm sure
she did'nt even look for fabrics. That worked for
me this time. Ebay is a good place to send someone
to buy a quilt. Vintage all the way to cheapies are there.
Anyone who thinks Target or Walmart are an ok place
to buy quilts probably wouldn't appreciate the work
of hand made quilt. Just say no!
Taria

Old February 4th 04, 04:15 PM
Kathy Applebaum

I've been faced with this a couple of times.

First, the "successful" one. After I gave my niece and nephew quilts for
their birthdays, my SIL (their mother, DH's sister) "decided" I would make
her a quilt that was a specific size and in specific colors. (She left this
announcement on our answering machine.) After kicking around the idea for a
few days, I realized I *really* didn't want to do this -- I just wasn't
thrilled with the project. DH and I talked about it, and he told me to work
up a price like it was a commission quilt. I did, and he called his sister
and explained that I was very booked up with paying quilt customers, but if
she wanted to commission me to make the quilt for her, here's the price and
the time frame. She got the hint, and didn't bring it up again. *grin*

Now, the "unsuccessful" one. In October, my Dad announced that all he wanted
for Christmas was "an old bed quilt you aren't using so I can keep warm."
(Two years ago I gave him one of my art quilts, which he clearly didn't
like.) Right, like I have an old bed quilt I'm not using. Or the time to
make a quilt before Christmas. Well, I managed to pull it together and got a
quilt done. Queen sized, his colors, really nice quilting. Brought it over
on Christmas, he took it and dumped it on the couch without opening it up.
As I said to DH later "well, at least I'll never have to spend time making
another quilt for him."

As to your friend, perhaps they *would* do better at Target.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 4th 04, 04:39 PM
Mary in Rock Island IL

My dear sweet MIL asekd me if my DH (her son) had passed on her order
for next Christmas? That was that she wants a Christmas table runner,
maybe two sided with another season. I told her (hopefully just as
nicely) that if she started now it would for sure be ready fro next
year. A recent e-mail contained the news that she had bought some
fabric...
One of my sisters in law told me what kind of quilt she wants. I said
nothing and do not plan to make it.

Mary

Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 02:28 AM
Rag Quilts with Binding JoyceG in WA Quilting 3 October 25th 03 02:34 AM
what to do with quilts DebsPrintOnIt Quilting 39 October 15th 03 04:19 PM
What is the biggest question you have about Antique Quilts? Kristi Kendall Quilting 6 October 13th 03 05:44 PM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM