What do your qults say?

Old February 8th 04, 03:31 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
List??! A list for begging? A list for trading squishies?
Not for me. I have acquired my addresses (and squishies)
the "old fashioned way": I asked individuals for their info.
You got the "give to get" part right. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy--knowing much worse language than Cina used G
"Cina" wrote in message
Ragmop wrote:

Howdy!
Begging makes you feel dirty?
Then you're not doing it right.
Really, your language--well, that's up to you.
VBG

Ragmop/Sandy--Queen of Beggars
no shame or dirt attached, no red light necessary

Heh, I knew the dirty thing would attract some attention. I tried to
think of a different way to phrase the other bad word, but couldn't
think of a better synonym. I really would promise to send a whole bunch
of squishies to a whole bunch of people if I could just get my name on
the list as a possible squishie recipient. I'd even include some of my
ultrayummy blondies if I thought it would help the cause. =)

Cina

Old February 8th 04, 06:30 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

You learn to ignore it. Specially when they start coming to your mailbox.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Cina" wrote in message
Ah, well. Begging makes me feel a bit um... dirty, or something. (No
offense intended to successful beggars... I'm sure I do other things
that would get me labeled "dirty girl.") Now, squishies, on the other
hand... if I could get my name on the list, I'd be a squishie whore!

---

Old February 8th 04, 06:41 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

The Free-motion meandering was in the same color as the background fabric
(white).

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. com...

"Cina" wrote in message
The in-between quilting (is there a "proper" name for it?)... did you
use white thread for the smaller free-motion designs? I like the
contrast in the photo.

Gosh, you expect me to remember? I'm having trouble with what happened

five
minutes ago! LOL Looking at the picture, it does look like I used a
matching thread for the meandering. LN could probably tell you for sure.

---

Old February 8th 04, 07:02 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Cina" wrote in message

Longarms are still in the "someday" category for me, but I'm always
interested in learning more about them. I see a few on ebay, but I
don't know enough to figure out if they are good deals or not

IMHO, the ones on ebay aren't especially great deals, and I would never
consider buying one without test driving it first. Especially a used one.
There are some lemons out there, and some machines have been abused (not
always intentionally.) Most sewing machine repair places don't know how to
work on them, so it's not like you can just bring it anywhere for service.

I'd love some
recommendations on books and videos.

Here's a few book and video recommendations, all NAYY, with my personal
comments. (And these are MY opinions, and I know everyone else will have a
different opinion. *grin*)

Of the books at http://columbiariverquilting.com/books.html , I use the Judy
Irish book "Dazzling Doodle Designs" all the time for inspiration, and also
Diana Phillips' "Line Dancing" book. I have one of Nichole Webb's previous
books ("Garden Branching"), which is really good, so her new one "Fantasy
Freehand" is on my list -- I'll probably pick it up at MQS this year. I also
highly recommend Pam Clarke's books -- I have a couple of her stencils and
have been in a couple of lectures she's given, and her methods are lots of
fun.

On the down side, Karen McTavish's book "Quilting for Show" was very highly
touted, and I thought it was a huge waste of money.

http://www.thequiltedrose.com is one of many places to get my favorite
videos (click on the "videos" link. Linda Taylor's "Artistic Freeform" was
the video that really set me free, and would translate very well to a home
machine. I haven't seen "Fancy Feather Frenzy" or "Advanced Artistic
Freeform 2", but I took both those classes last year, and I'm sure they will
also translate well to a home machine.

Can I be a nosyparker and ask how well
you do at that... are you just squeaking by, are you rolling in dough,
is your life work, work, work? The idea of quilting as a career is
something I've got in the back of my mind, though I still have a lot to
learn, both on the financial end as well as technique and skill.

I make a decent living, but I also work my a** off when I'm quilting.
*grin*. For every longarmer like me (making a decent living, booked out 6-10
months), there are probably another dozen who are making about minimum wage
or less, and who knows how many more who gave up in disgust and sold their
machines or only quilt for themselves.

Doing something professionally can be very different than doing it as a
hobby. You have the added elements of dealing with The Public, running a
business (bookkeeping, making financial decisions, marketing, etc.), having
to meet deadlines, being creative "on demand", finishing projects that are
boring you to tears, etc. I always advise people who are looking at starting
*any* business of their own to honestly examine their personality. Are you
the kind of person who is happy running the show? Can you make decisions
when you don't have enough information? Can you plan financially for those
times when customers pay late (or aren't even knocking at your door)? Are
you comfortable marketing yourself and what you can do?

Some people are cut out to run their own business and some aren't. Nothing
wrong with either way, but the key to happiness is to know which kind of
person you are. (Well, that and a big hunk of chocolate! LOL)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 9th 04, 01:30 AM
Valerie

what is this? LN answering the question and no begging ? lol my
heart is broken . i so was waiting for a good beg so i could see how
the best quilt begger of all time does her work. as a very begining
quilter( just got my first sewing machine)i need all the tips i can
get. i love the stuff i read @ RCTQ.and LN if i ever get a quilt done
i will put you on my list of quilts to do.
Valerie

"LN \(remove NOSPAM\)"
The Free-motion meandering was in the same color as the background fabric
(white).

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Kathy Applebaum"

Old February 9th 04, 05:19 PM
Cina

LN wrote:

The Free-motion meandering was in the same color as the background fabric
(white).

Hey, thanks! I've got some solid yellow fabric that's been calling out
to be done for a while. Once I had it all basted with a *really* puffy
batting and bought red yarn for tying (was gonna also bind it in red),
but then I hated it, and took it all apart. I think I'm going to try
quilting with black thread... I like the flowers and leaves, and I'm
wondering how hard it would be to stitch in an occasional bumblebee. I
like the idea of a secondary design in matching yellow, too. Maybe even
a hive, if I go with a bee theme and it's not too difficult.

Cina
Old February 9th 04, 05:20 PM
Cina

LN wrote:

You learn to ignore it. Specially when they start coming to your mailbox.

Hm, well... I can see how a person could change her mind on this
subject. I bet it *is* rather nice to receive one. Someone should send
me a quilt so I know how it feels. =)

Cina
Old February 9th 04, 05:20 PM
Cina

Ragmop wrote:

Howdy!
List??! A list for begging? A list for trading squishies?
Not for me. I have acquired my addresses (and squishies)
the "old fashioned way": I asked individuals for their info.
You got the "give to get" part right. ;-D

I could ask, but that would ruin the surprise, wouldn't it? I suppose I
could get an address and then not send anything until the recipient
forgets, but by then, I may have forgotten too. Or used up the fabric
because it was just lying around waiting to be mailed.

Ragmop/Sandy--knowing much worse language than Cina used G

I love all sorts of bad language... not only conventional swear words,
but the sort of colloquial insults (stuff ala "beaten like a redheaded
stepchild" -No offense to any redheads or stepchildren anywhere!) that
only shows up as a regional dialect kind of thing (like saying "wicked
cool" in Boston. No one in Nebraska says that.) It's also fun combining
swear words into super-swears. I think I have Stephen King to blame for
that one... I'm always chuckling over a sentence long
curses-strung-together that sounds so silly, and then I have to think
of one even nastier, and sillier.

But usually, I try to mind my manners, especially in public spaces. My
funny is someone else's insulted, and I wouldn't want to offend any of
the kind folks around here because of my potty mouth.

Cina
Old February 9th 04, 05:47 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Cina" wrote in message
I like the flowers and leaves, and I'm
wondering how hard it would be to stitch in an occasional bumblebee. I
like the idea of a secondary design in matching yellow, too. Maybe even
a hive, if I go with a bee theme and it's not too difficult.

Okay, get out your sketch pad and pencil. (Another free professional tip for
you!) Start doodling without lifting your pencil from the paper. If you can
draw it on the paper, you can quilt it.

Once you get control of your machine and can make the quilting go where you
want, paper and pencil is a fabulous way to practice new designs. What
you're teaching your brain is where to go next and when to zig and when to
zag. I have several sketch books (one for work, one for home, and one needs
to go back in my purse) so I can jot down ideas whenever the inspiration
strikes. Plus, if you're doodling, and someone asks what you're doing, and
you say "I'm practicing my quilting", they pretty much leave you alone, with
only the occasional odd glance. (Muttering to yourself will put the icing on
the cake.) *grin*

Old February 9th 04, 05:47 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Cina" wrote in message
Ragmop wrote:

Howdy!
List??! A list for begging? A list for trading squishies?
Not for me. I have acquired my addresses (and squishies)
the "old fashioned way": I asked individuals for their info.
You got the "give to get" part right. ;-D

I could ask, but that would ruin the surprise, wouldn't it? I suppose I
could get an address and then not send anything until the recipient
forgets, but by then, I may have forgotten too. Or used up the fabric
because it was just lying around waiting to be mailed.

We also have a Queen of Squishies who will act as your intermediary, asking
for you anonymously.

Personally, I go for the ask and then procrastinate method. And since I'm so
public about that, it *really* surprises the recipient when something shows
up right away! LOL (And consider this a request for your snail mail. Reply
privately, please.)