Not OT VCR tapes overseas

Old January 16th 04, 03:49 PM

Default Not OT VCR tapes overseas

Hi,

I read a post recently that mentioned a "donated quilting tapes." My
guess is that these are VCR tapes of TV programs that we get here in the
US. Do other countries have different VCRs or will my VCR tapes be able
to be seen by quilters in AU, NZ, UK, etc?

Thanks for any answers to this.

Julie
Richmond, VA
Old January 16th 04, 07:11 PM
Patti

Yes, that's how I understand it, too.
..
In article , Lizzy Taylor
writes
wrote:
Hi,
I read a post recently that mentioned a "donated quilting tapes."
My guess is that these are VCR tapes of TV programs that we get here
in the US. Do other countries have different VCRs or will my VCR
tapes be able to be seen by quilters in AU, NZ, UK, etc?

I think I am right in saying we all use VHS these days, but the
recorders in the various countries encode it differently. In the US
you have NTSC, in the UK we have PAL and France they use SECAM. My
particular VCR can play back from US tapes (but I can only record in UK
format) but many older machines can't playback "foreign" tapes.

HTH

Lizzy

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 17th 04, 10:24 AM
D&D

I started off by writing...

In Australia we use the PAL

but I just checked our VCR and printed on the front is PAL NTSC. I dont know
if this means that tapes from USA work here or not. I do know that I have
seen them with 'Zone 1" etc listed on the and Dh has said that some zones
don't work here.... that's geting a bit technical for me vbg

Friends that spent the last 3 years in Germany have recieved a German Kids
video for Christmas so I guess they must work in Australia

Dee in Oz

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote
wrote:
I read a post recently that mentioned a "donated quilting tapes." My
guess is that these are VCR tapes of TV programs that we get here in the
US. Do other countries have different VCRs or will my VCR tapes be able
to be seen by quilters in AU, NZ, UK, etc?

I think I am right in saying we all use VHS these days, but the
recorders in the various countries encode it differently. In the US you
have NTSC, in the UK we have PAL and France they use SECAM. My
particular VCR can play back from US tapes (but I can only record in UK
format) but many older machines can't playback "foreign" tapes.

HTH

Lizzy
--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E
http://www.thetaylorfamily.org.uk

Old January 17th 04, 11:48 PM
melinda

D&D wrote:
I started off by writing...

In Australia we use the PAL

but I just checked our VCR and printed on the front is PAL NTSC. I dont know
if this means that tapes from USA work here or not. I do know that I have
seen them with 'Zone 1" etc listed on the and Dh has said that some zones
don't work here.... that's geting a bit technical for me vbg

Friends that spent the last 3 years in Germany have recieved a German Kids
video for Christmas so I guess they must work in Australia

Dee in Oz

It all depends on what your VCR can handle, I believe most Aussie VCRs will
play PAL and NTSC these days. Our VCR will play SECAM as well, but if it's
from France it will only play in B&W.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old January 18th 04, 12:47 AM
D&D

Thanks Melinda. It's something I have never had to deal with, so have never
taken much notice.

Dee in Oz

"melinda" wrote

overseas mail Beadbimbo Beads 5 June 3rd 04 06:13 AM
Overseas shipping info I'm not happy about Kalera Stratton Beads 16 May 19th 04 02:09 AM
OT Humor is no laughing matter overseas (fwd) Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 0 April 13th 04 09:55 PM
reputable overseas NS Carol Sylvester Needlework 4 February 29th 04 04:58 AM