Question about Attic Windows

Old January 12th 04, 11:59 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions attic windows. I've printed them all
and the web sites. I'm making this quilt for my son and dil for Christmas
2004. Hopefully it will be finished by then.

Barbara C.

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
Ta Louise!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

"Louise" wrote in message
news3mMb.28396$8H.66451@attbi_s03...
The easiest way I've seen (which avoids a Y seam) is to cut two
rectangles -- one of your dark fabric and one of your light fabric --

the
same length as your block (if it's 12-1/2 inches unfinished, then your
rectangles would be 12-1/2 inches in length) and whatever width you

want.
For the corner, make a square from half-square triangles -- again, one
triangle would be from your dark fabric and one would be from your light
fabric.

Sew the dark rectangle to the side of your quilt block. Sew the square

and
the other rectangle together, matching the light triangle in the square

the light rectangle. Then sew the new piece to the bottom of the quilt
block, matching the dark triangle in the square to the dark rectangle.

As I look at this, it makes total sense to me, but it may be even more
confusing. This Web site may make it a little clearer:
http://www.quiltaholics.com/bom/attwin.htm

Good luck!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

wrote in message
I've been quilting for about a year and want to do my 1st king size

quilt.
It's a little ambitious for me, but I love the attic windows block.

I've
seen different methods for doing this block, but they look a little
complicated to me. Is there an easy way to piece these? Thnx for

your
help.

Barbara C.

Old January 13th 04, 04:04 AM

That's exactly how I made my "Quilt for ME" in Kate's Star Swap. I named
it "I See Mars." You will see it when Kate receives the photos...they
went out on Sat. Nancycog in MD

Old January 13th 04, 04:43 AM
Mardi

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:17:00 -0500, wrote:

I've been quilting for about a year and want to do my 1st king size quilt.
It's a little ambitious for me, but I love the attic windows block. I've
seen different methods for doing this block, but they look a little
complicated to me. Is there an easy way to piece these? Thnx for your
help.

Barbara C.

Most attic window patterns require an inset seam. But, I once saw a
Simply quilts where they made the part that would be an inset seam
into a half square triangle and a rectangle so they could machine
piece the whole thing without the inset seam. From a distance I don't
think you could tell the difference.

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
Old January 13th 04, 05:00 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Here's the instructions for using that ½-square triangle in the corner:
http://www.quilterbydesign.com/lesso...icwindows.html

Ragmop/Sandy

Old January 13th 04, 05:21 AM
Polly Esther

Don't like to do mitering. Hurumph! Just wait until you make a quilt that
has five corners. Then you'll know about mitering! Polly
"Kathy in CA" wrote in message
That's the way I do--don't much lite to do mitering
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old January 17th 04, 06:46 PM
Dr. Quilter

what is a ladder stitch? what you describe sounds to me like mitered
borders, except for the ladder stitch part and the hand work comment...

Muggywort wrote:

I'm glad you've gotten good explanations. I used attic windows in a
theater quilt I'm making for a friend of mine. I appliqued something
representing shows he has been in, and then used a maroon vertical
window piece and a black horizontal piece. Looks like a stage and is
SO cool. I love that quilt, and one day I will finish it.

BTW, I read somewhere another way to do them...after stitching the
attic pieces to the side and bottom, fold one attic piece at a 45
degree angle over the other and then do a ladder stitch to avoid
setting in the angle. That's what I usually do, but it does make for
extra hand work.

Muggy

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:17:00 -0500, wrote:

I've been quilting for about a year and want to do my 1st king size quilt.
It's a little ambitious for me, but I love the attic windows block. I've
seen different methods for doing this block, but they look a little
complicated to me. Is there an easy way to piece these? Thnx for your
help.

Barbara C.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old January 19th 04, 05:44 AM
nzl*

picture a ladder, two long side rails, lots of cross ways rungs.
the ladder stitch goes up one side to first rung, across, up one rung,
across, up one rung, across.
the side rails are the two pieces of fabric along the seam fold.
the stitches hide within that seam fold.
unless i learned it all wrong all those years ago.
heres a pix...
http://www.classicstitches.com/know_..._to_cat=Stitch
hope this helps.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Dr. Quilter" wrote...