Rice bags for gifts

Old December 5th 03, 03:16 PM
hfw

Thanks!
It depends on the microwave, but between 1 and 2 minutes, depending how big
the bag and how powerful the microwave. No more, though.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

"Life Experience" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:39:02 -0500, "hfw"
wrote:

a quick pic of what I've been up to (in addition to piecing 42 simple

blocks
that I may put together this weekend) "Santa's Workshop--Ricebag

Division"
and "Rice Bags closeup"

These measure about 38" x 4" and the covers are removable. I put

buttonholes
in the covers and the rice bag itself and made little ties to hold it
together so the ricebag doesn't slip to one end.

Each takes a quarter yard of muslin and a quarter yard of outer fabric,

but
I like to use two fat quarters to make two complementary rice bags.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Gorgeous things! You do beautiful work. How long do you nuke the rice
bags in the microwave?
another Sharon

Old December 5th 03, 08:14 PM
mamahays

I make these too. When I give them to someone, I always print out heating
and use instructions. (they are forgetful and just telling them the
directions doesn't always sink in. lol) I tell them 2 minutes also, and I
suggest placing a cup or bowl of water in the microwave with the rice bag.
That gives it more of a moist heat. Also it reduces the risk of fire. I
also tell them to test the heated bag on the inside of their wrist (like a
baby's bottle) before they put it on their body. I make headache bags. I
make them heart shaped. That way they can go over the face like an old time
sleep mask. Oh and Joy, have you seen those C shaped "travel" pillows? I
have made some rice bags in that shape just for putting on the back of my
neck for a tension headache. Between that and the heart shaped one on my
face, it gets rid of them all.

Also you can put essential oils in with the rice to make them smell nice.
(Hot rice smells good, but lavendar doesn't make your tummy growl while you
are using the bag. lol)

Sharon
--
---
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the

Old December 5th 03, 08:47 PM
Shelly

I've seen the c-shaped travel pillows. My wicked step-mother has one that is
filled with buckwheat to stave off hangovers. hehe My son absolutely loves
this thing.
Shelly

Old December 5th 03, 10:50 PM
Joy Hardie

I am so sorry Heidi to be so confused as to who made the lovely rice
bags. It just goes to prove I had one of my bad headaches this
morning and I really wasn't thinking straight.
My rice bags are made from old tube socks and must be quite a bit
bigger because I nuke them for 3 minutes (dry). Everyone knows when I
have a headache because that odd smell permeates the house.

I read somewhere that vanilla scent actually surpresses the
appetite....so I was just thinking of buying a bunch of that and
putting it all over the house (before I grab for the vanilla ice
cream).
Joy
Old December 5th 03, 11:50 PM
Joan8904

I have
a 10 pound bag of buckwheat hulls sitting in my sewing room

Where can you buy buckwheat hulls?

joan
joan o'reilly
http://members.aol.com/Joan8904/index.html

Old December 6th 03, 03:34 AM
Sharon & Jack

I've made a gazillion rice bags in all sizes and shapes:

*bath towel folded in half with ~ 10 lbs of rice (VERY unwieldy) for DH
with back aches
*wash cloths sewed together for little babies with colic, terrycloth shaped
like an ear for a toddler with ear aches.
*tube socks filled with rice for neck problems
*hand towels for shoulders

I've heard of someone making a set like gloves. I just consider what it's
for, to determine size. I use velcro, to make changing the rice and washing
the cover easier.

Sharon

Old December 6th 03, 06:14 AM
Valkyrie

"Sharon & Jack" wrote in message
nk.net...

I've heard of someone making a set like gloves. I use velcro, to make

changing the rice and washing
the cover easier.

Sharon

I made a pair of rice bags for a friend's mother who had terrible arthritis
in her hands. Poor lady would be in so much pain and get so bad that she
couldn't hold a glass or cup, let alone an eating utensil. I made them out
of some gingham I had had in my stash for who knows how long. I cut the
material about 12" wide and 16" long. I sewed it up the long side and turned
it seam side in to make a tube. I used about a 1/4 seam so the tube was just
shy of 6" wide. I then ran a line of stitching across the middle from side
to side and then ran seams the length so it was divided into thirds. Then
ironed each long side so I had creases in 1/3 divisions, side to side, on
each long half. I poured 1/2 cup of rice into the three tubes, shook it down
and then ran a seam side to side on the crease until all nine sections were
filled then stitched the end closed and repeated on the other half. Then I
folded it on the side to side center seam and stitched the long sides closed
so there was a pocket for her to slip her hands into. The rice stayed in
place quite well without slipping to the sides. I then made sort of an
envelope out of baby fleece long enough to you could slip it down inside the
pouch with enough hanging out the opening so you could fold a cuff back all
the way to cover the outside and then put a strip of baby snaps (because
that's what I had handy at the time) to close it up. This way both inside
and outside of the pouch would be covered and could be easily washed while
keeping the rice bag clean. Just don't put the fleece envelope in the
microwave. She also puts a cup of water in the microwave about every 3rd or
4th time she nukes them and that seems to keep up the 'moist heat' factor.
She just loves these. When her hands get stiffening up or painful on her she
just slips them into her mitts for about 20 minutes and she says it gives
her more relief and movement than any of the arthritis medication she's ever
used. She says she heats them up every night and wears them to bed and now
she doesn't wake up to throbbing fingers and sleeps through the night. And
bless her little heart, she can even do her "fancy work" again, as she calls
her embroidery, that she hadn't done in a long time, she's just thrilled.

Don'tcha just love it when you take the time to do something so simple and
it gives a person so much in return? Kind of makes your day! :-)

With a little adjustment on the size I'm sure this would work well for achy,
cold feet, too.

Val

Old December 6th 03, 04:04 PM

Thanks, Val, for the directions. My sister suffers with arthritis, so I
will make her some mitts for Christmas. Nancycog in MD

Old December 6th 03, 08:49 PM
Mystified One

I realize this is a little OT, but has anyone tried Biofreeze gel? I
haven't found it to be very helpful, but it works for DH and MIL.

Old December 6th 03, 10:47 PM
Butterfly

Doesn't do a thing for me but greatly helped DD when she had shoulder
surgery--after the PT sessions.
Sorry I couldn't help more than that.
Butterfly (Salonpas wasn't any better---only was much more odoriferous.
Heating pad helped more than either)