What Quilt Scares You?

Old November 1st 03, 07:24 PM
Dr. Quilter

aplique scared me until I took a class. I take classes to learn
techniques, not to make quilts that I could do at home on my own. Eg.
aplique, how to deal with the bias tape, machine quilting. Now I need
one on how to piece curves. Trust me, take a class with a good teacher
and it will all come together fast! )

melinda wrote:

Diana Curtis wrote:

Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in knots to
think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be and what about it
makes you tremble?
Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me worried. In
the book I have there are a couple of examples of color ways given. I hate
all of them. But they do point out the importance of picking good contrast
and coordinating patterns. This would be the best time to use a scanner to
take the diagram of the quilt to be able to preview fabrics in it. Its on my
to do list, right under long nap.
Ok..spill... lets see if there are lots of people intimidated by the same
quilts.
Diana

Applique! Of any sort ATM.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old November 1st 03, 07:28 PM
Dr. Quilter

that is beautiful. how did you get the colours of the fish so perfect,
are they printed or fussy cut?

QuiltR1024 wrote:

In article , "
Ellison" writes:

Howdy!
When you put in the pond/pool and the stock it w/ fish.

Quilts and ponds--what a combo! g

Ragmop/Sandy

Hi Sandy & All,
I did a Koi Pond wall hanging last year. and here is a web site where
you can see it. Mine is the second quilt down on this page.

http://www.quiltart.com/challenges/3D/

I seem to be doing a lot of water related quilts lately. I drew all the
designs myself. Here are some more of them.

http://quiltart.com/challenges/window/default.htm ( mine os the first quilt
shown).

&
http://www.quiltaholic.com/quiltarti...is-bishop.html

Some day I'll get a web page done and post all of my quilts. Until then,
I'll just have to show a few at a time on different web sites. grin

Kris ( in northern Virignia)

Old November 1st 03, 07:34 PM
Dr. Quilter

I definitely dream in colour. Sometimes I wake up remembering details
that prove it.... it is an odd feeling...

Diana Curtis wrote:

Men turn out to dream in monochrome more than women. Women tend to dream in
techincolor.
Im not sure which mine are in. Ill try to think to remember during my next
dream and report back.
Diana

Old November 1st 03, 08:21 PM
David Bishop

OH, very funny! LOL

TerriLee in WA (state) USA
Virtual Gypsy

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Why not just take the glasses off and pretend they are tone on tones?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"TerriLee in WA" wrote in message
That's about the way I feel about them, too. Sigh! However one of my
DSonIL's wants a log cabin, florals on whites for the lights and florals
on blacks for the darks. (Don't ask me why, I don't know. He just says
thats what a quilt should look like.) I have 6 of each, all washed and
ready to cut, and everytime I look at them, I go get another glass of
wine. VBG But I really do love the DSonIL, so eventually, I'll just
grit my teeth and jump in. It'll never get done if I don't start, huh?

And you can stay over, the daybed has nice warm flannel sheets and a
quilt on it. grin

--
TerriLee Bishop in WA (state) USA
Virtual Gypsy

frood wrote:

Tiny floral prints?!? It'll take a couple of jumbo margarootles to

even
get
me in the same room with those! I better get Giles to drive.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"TerriLee in WA" wrote in message
OK, you can help me design the next one. I have to use the dark &

light
tiny floral prints, and need to get them in order. Maybe a

Margarootle
would help me like them better.

Old November 1st 03, 08:41 PM
Mystified One

Probably a nine-patch. (just kidding, I was checking to see who'd laugh)

Baltimore Albums, because I don't want to commit to that much appliqué.

Old November 1st 03, 09:50 PM
QuiltR1024

In article , "Dr. Quilter"
writes:

that is beautiful. how did you get the colours of the fish so perfect,
are they printed or fussy cut?

Hi Marissa,
They are fussy cut from an oriental fabric and appliqued down. I did raw
edge applique on this wall hanging, to give it the effect of "looking under
water". I used a variety of blue/ orange/ & purple fabrics to sho wthe sun
shining through the water in fractals.
I also used fancy yarns and treads for the plants and beads for the fish
eggs.

http://www.quiltart.com/challenges/3D/

Kris ( in northern Virginia )

Old November 1st 03, 11:10 PM
Marijke

snort.

Mine would notice because no-one would be where they'd have to be when
they'd have to be there.

Marijke

"nzl*" wrote in message
dont know bout yours but mine sure wouldnt notice.
jeanne
wondering what u'r gonna show karen, i missed the rest of this convo
somehow

"Marijke"wrote...
| sure! Send me a train/plane ticket and I'm soooo outta here..... (think
the
| family would ever notice I'm gone?)

| "Queen of Squishies" wrote...
| hmmm.... Still scares me. I think you should come and show me how.
; )

Old November 1st 03, 11:34 PM
Diana Curtis

She wants to be shown a technique for paper piecing a double wedding ring.
Thats what I think you missed.
Diana

Old November 1st 03, 11:42 PM
Pat in Virginia

Mystified:
Well, just 'commit' to one BA style block. If you enjoy the
process, make a few more and keep going until you want to stop.
Then put it together into a product ... a cushion cover requires
only one block, while a WH or sleep quilt would need more blocks.
PAT in VA/USA

Old November 2nd 03, 02:52 AM
melinda

Dr. Quilter wrote:
aplique scared me until I took a class. I take classes to learn
techniques, not to make quilts that I could do at home on my own. Eg.
aplique, how to deal with the bias tape, machine quilting. Now I need
one on how to piece curves. Trust me, take a class with a good teacher
and it will all come together fast! )

Just got to find them, not very well advertised around here!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol