Life's story

Old August 29th 03, 02:28 AM
Jalynne

See, and I was just assuming that was the answer...LOL

--
Jalynne

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Well now that makes perfect sense!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"frood" wrote in message
. com...
She got cold being naked in all those movies.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
LOL
but how did that all lead to you making quilts?
Diana

Old August 29th 03, 03:02 AM
Martha in IN

Oh YESSSS, Leslie. Thanks for saying it so well
Martha who has never flown 1st class, but maybe someday.
"The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me" wrote in message
Geez Louise! How many times can we possibly discuss which sewing
machine is the best one to buy? Uh-oh! Here's another newbie who wants
to know whether to pre-wash or not! Then there's machine or hand
quilting! There just seems to be so many questions that are done to
death.... over and over and over and over..... If we *only* discussed
ON TOPIC exclusively, there'd be maybe 10 posts a day! And BORING ones
at that!

And sometime life has a BIG effect on our quilting, too. Like for me at
nearly 1:00 a.m. this very morning. I'm an old hand at mitered
bindings, but with the stress of my vacation coming up in a couple of
days, a nearly four hour drive to St. Louis (where I've never been), to
a huge airport (where I've never been), flying (which I've only done
twice over 20 years ago), first class tickets (which intimidates the
hell outta me!) I'm truly a bundle of nerves and couldn't remember the
first thing about the darn miters on my bindings and nearly came
screaming for help and some hugs! And this wallhanging is a gift I
*have* to take along with me. I finally worked it out with some fine
cursing and many re-pinnings, but *that* is what this ng is about! It's
support as well as info as well as helping newbies and everybody else
along in whatever way we can.

Now, you can pull up a chair and join in the fun, ask your questions and
tell us your quilting stories and your joys and triumphs and even your
sorrows- in quilting and life in general- and you will be most warmly
welcomed. Or you can go start your own group and make up your own
rules. But don't come in here telling us what to do- we're getting
along just fine without your help.

And, thank you, but **I** am NOT a mere diva! I am a full fledged
bitch.

Leslie..... and damn proud of it!

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old August 29th 03, 03:03 AM
Martha in IN

Well said, Patti. Thanks.
Martha
"Patti" wrote in message
This kind of message always upsets me.
It sounds so accusatory. There are no compulsory revelations here.
We have here the age-old subject of group dynamics.
It is wrong to expect that this group should be any different from
physical groups of people, gathering because of a common interest.
Please read the following three paragraphs as applicable to cyber and
physical groups.:

There are those who were founder members of the group; there are those

who have been around in the group for many years; there are those who
have come along each month, and their membership is, by definition, for
a longer or shorter time. Their knowledge of one another is usually
proportional to that time. There are those who belong, but who are
either too shy to take part in a conversation; or who simply do not wish
to do so - or even may not attend meetings. If other members are not
aware of this they cannot, of course, be included; if they are aware,
then these folk are usually encouraged to participate fully. If they do
not wish to, it is their choice, and that is respected.

Any person entering a group, for the first time, cannot know the
history of each and every member - instantly. Over time, some knowledge
may be acquired (or not). Gradually it becomes apparent that there are
those with whom a friendship could never be formed - not that there is
anything wrong with either person, simply that the 'chemistry' is not
there. On the other hand, there are those who immediately 'click' with
another member and a friendship begins. This may be superficial or deep
and close, just depending on how things pan out. There are as many
different personalities as there are members.

It certainly takes time to find one's feet in any group. At first, it
might only feel 'safe' to discuss topics germane to the purpose of the
group. Gradually one might feel freer to introduce other topics which
one might feel would be of interest to others. Later on, one might ask
for help on personal matters; or one might turn to them in time of
distress. And so it grows.

On this newsgroup there are people who are geographically close, and
others who even belong to the same Guild. This does give them more
familiarity and they can post pithy messages, to one another, within
the group which could, if one was not aware of the existing friendship,
appear excluding of others. This will always happen in any group. It
is inevitable. I have to be one of the most thin-skinned people on
earth! yet I came to understand this quite quickly. There is no
malicious or cliquey intention at all.

As to your - or any other newbie - being an 'outsider', it takes a
considerable time for everyone to become aware of a new member. If you
have been reading for any length of time, you must have seen how new
members are joyfully greeted. You will not get known if we do not see
you, or know your name - even an alias to sign your posts (many are used
within the group). This is not a criticism, just an explanation of why
you might be feeling so. Your opinions do count, of course.

I dislike your use of the word 'junk'. But, using your analogy in spite
of that, many people have found great treasure in a junk drawer; others
derive pleasure from riffling through, especially if there are
circumstances whereby their acquisition of knowledge and opportunities
for chatting with others are limited.

If you would like to try a really strict On Topic quilting group, you
might like the British Quilt List (BQL) a Yahoo group. You simply sign
up to subscribe. It is not restricted to British nationals - there are
several people from the States who are members. There is a membership
of about 700. I am not advertising for them, as I am no longer a
member.

I hope to goodness that this post is read in the spirit in which it was
written. I would be mortified in the extreme, if anyone thought I was
starting a flame war here. Those who know me - anywhere - would know I
could not do that.
.
In article , ruffian
writes

Do we all have to tell our life's story on this group?
A little bit about sewing and quilting is enough.
DM
I don't think you are forced to tell anything ( or read anything)
that you
don't want to......
Flossy
Malvern England ***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://photos.yahoo.com/flossy3353

I agree w/Buddy and disagree w/Flossy. This NGrp is like looking in a
"junk drawer": You want to find something you hope is in there
somewhere, but you have to wade through a lot of stuff to find it. It
does no good to say "ignore everything there but what you're looking
for" We are human, yet almost as curious as our cats.

I'm new at quilting, get help here, and appreciate it. Some of the
"old hands" who know their craft well and willingly share their
experience also like to talk about a lot of other stuff with their
friends.

Some might respond that I'm paying the price of admission by being an
"outsider". Like a child: be seen if necessary, but not heard. Your
opinions don't count here. Power sometimes corrupts. I don't like it,
but it's "their" NGrp by sheer number of posts.

On balance, it's worth my time, since it's the only game in town. And
thanks for sharing information on quilting.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old August 29th 03, 03:08 AM
Martha in IN

Gee, that's pretty good...wish my life was as exciting. OMG what am I
saying??
Martha
"Emilia" wrote in message
"frood" wrote in news:5Ps3b.39174
:

In that case, feel free to plagerize someone else's life. wg

Oh what a great idea!

By the time Emilia got her first major film role in 1984, as a vivacious
young cocaine addict in St. Elmo's Fire, she herself was battling a
serious drug addiction. The film's director, Joel Schumacher, threatened
to fire her if she didn't clean up her act, and Emilia quit using drugs
during the filming. When St. Elmo's Fire was released, it became one of
the quintessential movies of the eighties.

Emilia's three-year relationship and on-again, off-again engagement with
Emilio Estevez, begun during the filming of St. Elmo's Fire, ended in
1987. Shortly thereafter, Emilia met actor Bruce Willis, then the
charming star of TV's Moonlighting. After a whirlwind three-month
courtship, Emilia and Willis were married in November 1987.

Less than three years later, both Emilia and Willis had made the leap to
A-list Hollywood stardom-

*Ok, not really my life!! Could you image Emilia and Emilio??? Yuk!
Good think I dumped him and married Bruce... Oh, wait... That's NOT my
life!

Old August 29th 03, 03:33 AM
Judy Grevenites

....And, I would like your SSI # and bank account # and visa#.
Thanks, RedQueen

Old August 29th 03, 05:36 AM
Dr. Quilter

I think you guys should have learnt by now to ignore this kind of
inflamatory post and just keep doing what we want. I for one find the OT
'junk' much more interesting than the quilting stuff, except when I
have a real quilting related question... )

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old August 29th 03, 05:39 AM
Dr. Quilter

which is now goign to be raffled to raise funds for the campaign... )

LN (remove NOSPAM) wrote:

When they opened Planet Hollywood with Ahnold, he mentioned making a quilt
for Maria.

Old August 29th 03, 05:42 AM
Dr. Quilter

I've tried that one on Fer, but he has a point in that so far, almost 4
monhts into it, I can hardly tell I am 'carrying' anything at all....

Kate Dicey wrote:

Right, now I've recovered from THAT nasty, how about this: I carried
young James for the first 9 months of his existence, so I reckoned it
was his daddy's turn after that!

Old August 29th 03, 11:00 AM
Kate Dicey

Kate Dicey wrote:

Right, now I've recovered from THAT nasty, how about this: I carried
young James for the first 9 months of his existence, so I reckoned it
was his daddy's turn after that!

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Ah, see, you ain't doin it quite right, liv...

Wait 'til the nipper is here, THEN juzz dump him/her/it on Daddy's lap
and say, 'Your turn!' as you disappear into the latest quilt shop to
catch your eye. ;P
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 29th 03, 12:43 PM
Diana Curtis

The OT stuff is the fun part for me too, tho rarely I have something useful
to add to a quilting thread.
The reason we dont ignore this kind of post is because its fun to poke at
the posters. Its troll baiting, and perhaps one of the lower forms of
entertainment, but it is amusing.
This time everyone stayed pretty civil and expressed some very warm and
wonderful sentiments in defense of OT posts. The long and the short of it is
tho that whether or not a person likes OT posts they are not likely to stop
anytime soon so they need to deal with the NG the way it is, and not the way
they wish it was.
Diana

--
"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
I think you guys should have learnt by now to ignore this kind of
inflamatory post and just keep doing what we want. I for one find the OT
'junk' much more interesting than the quilting stuff, except when I
have a real quilting related question... )

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

STORY - I think we need a story right now Kathy N-V Beads 4 February 4th 05 04:55 PM
funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM
Story - A MIL Story Jalynne Beads 2 March 8th 04 12:30 PM
Story - The Party Kandice Seeber Beads 0 November 9th 03 12:37 PM