The first quilt?

Old August 26th 03, 11:53 PM
The Nielands

Okay, Jalynne, repeat after me: "The next quilt I make will be for my bed."
I was really selfish, and the first one I made was a keeper (although it was
for the guest bed rather than our bed). I went for a long time before I made
another one for us, but now I have several that will stay in the family.

We don't have children, but each of the step-grandchildren have a baby quilt
and now that they're a little older, I think it's time to start work on a
grown-up version for them. If I start their graduation quilts now, I might
have them done in time (six years for the first one!).

Louise in Iowa
"Jalynne" wrote in message
ink.net...
Even though i had quilters in my family, I never had one until I started

making them.
In fact, I still don't have one for my bed, either. But that will

change...i'm
working on it! And...my DD will always have one of my quilts to grace her
bed...always.

--
Jalynne

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Never had one til I started making them. Actually, that's why I started
making them. I still don't have one for my bed (cept an old store
bought...it's falling apart, of course).

I envy people who had quilters in their family.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"The Nielands" wrote in message
In an e-mail replying to Diana's thread about getting started in

quilting,
Julie said she always had a quilt in her life thanks to her

Grandmother.
That got me to thinking (a dangerous thing at this time of day when

I'm
tired from work!). What's the first quilt you remember in your life?

Like Julie, mine was one from Grandma. It was a Trip Around The World

in
fabric from the 30s and 40s (I'm guessing on that part). I remember it

being
on my bed upstairs in the old farmhouse we lived in, and I'd sit and

trace
each "trip" with my finger. I'm sure it was hand quilted, and I just

loved
that quilt! When I finally learned to quilt in the 80s, TATW was my

first
project, and I think it might still be my favorite pattern.

So what's the first quilt you remember (even if it was from just last

year)?

Louise in Iowa

Old August 27th 03, 12:02 AM
The Nielands

DeAnna,

Memories are great, aren't they? That's really cool that your grandmother
sent you the quilt your dad has slept under as a boy. I didn't ever have a
quilt that Dad had used, but I do remember having an old "army blanket" that
had been his, and it had that same comforting feeling to it.

I hope wherever that whoever has the DWR today appreciates it. Wouldn't it
be wonderful if there was a way to track it down?

Louise in Iowa
"N7dland" wrote in message
The first quilt I can remember is one that belonged to my Dad. Shortly

after
my parents divorced when I was about 8 years old, his mother sent a quilt

to me
and said that it had been my Dad's when he had been a boy in Scotland,

South
Dakota. It was 6 inch squares of wool with a heavy batting and a wool

backing.
I don't remember it being too hot, but I do remember the weight of it and

how
comforted I was by its weight and knowing it had been my Dad's.

The second quilt was a double wedding ring design also made by my Dad's

mother
and given to me. My Mom put it in her cedar chest for safe keeping and

when
she disassociated herself with both sides of the entire family it went

with
her. But I remember how beautiful it was: small calico rings on a white
background, a thin batting, a light blue background with a scalloped edge.

Ahh, memories.

DeAnna

Old August 27th 03, 12:04 AM
The Nielands

I just looked up the poem -- hate to admit I'd never heard of it before. I
can see why you love it!

Louise in Iowa
"Clooniff" wrote in message
The first quilt I remember was a crazy quilt. I still have it. My mother
found some foundation squares that had been started by a great-aunt (I
think) and finished making the top. It has pieces from my GGM's wedding
dress, GGFs wedding vest and lots of other bits of clothing over three
generations. The only embroidery on it is herringbone stitches around the
pieces. The back is green satin quilted with a feather pattern onto a 2"
thick wool batt, and the top appliqued onto that. When we were sick and

had
to stay in bed Mother would get it out for us to sleep under. That's
probably why I love the Robert Louis Stevenson poem "The Land of
Counterpane".

Betty in CT

Old August 27th 03, 12:10 AM
The Nielands

I would have done the same thing at 18! I've always had an "eyes are bigger
than my stomach" mentality when it came to creative projects -- I have great
plans for doing something, but I then find out I really don't have the
interest I thought I would or I totally lack the skill to pull it off. It's
a good thing I didn't try quilting back then or I probably would have lost
interest in a hurry!

Louise in Iowa

"Lisa Ellis" wrote in message
The Nielands wrote:

In an e-mail replying to Diana's thread about getting started in

quilting,
Julie said she always had a quilt in her life thanks to her Grandmother.
That got me to thinking (a dangerous thing at this time of day when I'm
tired from work!). What's the first quilt you remember in your life?

No one in my family sews, except for me.

The first quilt I remember in my life is a top I purchased (for our
dollars), when I was 18 or so. It was sort of a log cabin, made of
ribbons, and I thought it was interseting. I wound up giving it to a
friend after I realized that I would never do anything with it.

The second quilt was a more of a comforter. It was just squares that I
sewed together to make the top, which was tied. I used corderoy for the
backing. so it was warm. I used it for years.

lisae

Old August 27th 03, 12:11 AM
The Nielands

Julia,

Have you decided on the pattern and colors for Grandchild #2 yet?

Louise in Iowa
"juliasb(nospam)" wrote in message
I'm sitting here thinking about the beginnings of quilts in my life and
when I actually received my first quilt. I remember watching when I
grew up, my sister cutting and stitching away on quilts. Her memories
are the clearest any way. (my sister it 21 years older than I am).
I was in my late teens when I received a quilt top from her for
Christmas one year. I was in love with it. However because of my lack
of experience I thought it best to put it aside for a couple years.
Well I finally put it together down the line and wish that I could have
done a better job at it. Anyway the quilt was used hard and furious for
a number of years and mending after mending, it finally could not be
fixed again (sigh). My sister and that quilt were the biggest
inspiration to my search to learn quilting. I tried more times than
imaginable to re-create the pattern she used but to no avail.
Now I am sure that everyone special in my life has a quilt that can
be used and/or passed down to another generation.
My second grandchild will be here in a few months and this child too
will come into this world with a quilt from Nana.
juliasb

The Nielands wrote:
[...]

come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life
http:\\www.nwlife.com

Old August 27th 03, 12:13 AM
The Nielands

Believe it or not, I used templates for the TATW I made! Back then, we
didn't have rotary cutters, so even the simplest pattern was made using
templates. I think I made mine from sandpaper, though, not the plastic-y
thing in the bacon package!

Louise in Iowa
wrote in message
.net...
The first quilt that I actually have memories of is the one that my Dad
owned. My great grandmother, my grandmother and my aunt had made it for
him. It is red and white and I have never seen another like it and I
have never come across a pattern for it. I am going to reproduce it for
him. My parents used it on their bed for a while, but then it was
relegated to use as a floor covering for babies and toddlers since the
linoleum was so cold. My brother and sister and all of my cousins used
it in that way. It still exists but it is worn and is not used. (Of
course there have been no gbabies to use it yet and we all now have
carpeting.) My first quilt was a red and white print and white bacground
quilt I think it was a flywheel block with white sashing (It is packed
away carefully). The one I use all the time is a print of small flowers
on black with a white background and white sashing. (I wanted black and
white but my grandmother would have been bored to tears making it) It
has a green back and binding that matches the green in the print.

My grandmother was the only quilter in my family that I knew - but she
never taught me. When we were around she put her sewing aside unless she
needed our measurements. She was a great seamstress and used to work for
London Fog. We had flannel pjs every year for christmas, and we had
school clothes made for us when we were in elementary school.

Just a little thing- we never threw away the plastic-y board in the bacon
packages because my grandmother used those to make templates. She would
mark the fabric with pencil and then cut the shapes out by hand with
scissors. She did end up with a cutting mat but I don't remember her
using a rotary cutter (I think she tried it but didn't like it).

I am now the only quilter in my family. I am in the process of making
quilts for members of my family starting with the grandparents. I am
making one for my maternal grandmother (the other grandmother) now. I am
making lap quilts mainly because that is what they will use. When I get
to my parents and my siblings and cousins I will be making bed quilts.

Julie
Richmond, VA

said...

Old August 27th 03, 12:13 AM
The Nielands

But those holes are filled with love, and that's what really important,
isn't it?

Louise in Iowa
"Emilia" wrote in message
"The Nielands" wrote in

[...]

I also still have my "first" quilt.
It was from my grandmother's house. It's a log cabin. It is so old and
worn that it is almost all white now... and full of holes...

Old August 27th 03, 12:15 AM
The Nielands

Love the story about the garage sale!

You'll decide (or the quilt will decide for you) when it's time to keep one.
Something in it will touch your heart, and you'll know you can't let it go.
They have a way of talking to you, you know.

Louise in Iowa
"Charlotte Henson" wrote in message
My first quilt has a sorta funny story.

Many women in my family are incredible seamstresses but none quilt.

My then boyfriend and I were out looking at garage sales on a Sunday
morning. We followed the signs to one and started looking around. I
found a nice, simple twin-sized grandmother's fan done in blue and
whites and hand-quilted in somewhat large, loose stitches. It has a
poly-cotton sheet backing brought round to the front. Nothing
extraordinary but still pretty.

I wasn't sure exactly who the other man at the sale was. He was the only
one there but he looked like he was going through the things for sale
too. He wasn't the cleanest person I've ever seen. He noticed me looking
around and said somewhat spontaneously "Scott's upstairs, but I can sell
that for him, do you want to buy it?" I said yes and readily agreed to
buy it for the asking price of $5. He looked sorry he hadn't asked for
more but continued to pick stuff up. As we were driving away we saw him
found these garage sale items left out overnight and must have pocketed
my $5.

I felt guilty about that for a while but then I realized whoever was
selling this stuff didn't care much about it if he couldn't be bothered
to bring it in overnight. The quilt is in far better care in my hands
and the homeless guy probably needed my $5. So I think everything turned
out for the best.

The amusing thing in all of this is that I gave this quilt to my current
boyfriend and have given all the others I've made myself to various
people. So I'm a stealth quilter at my home. It takes a quilter to know
one. You'd see my stash of cottons organized by color and my rotary
cutter and mat. Other than that there isn't a quilt in the place. And it
may be blasphemy but I'm not sure I want one. Maybe it's only the mother
of all quilts for me... Maybe I just haven't found *my* quilting voice.

-Charlotte

Old August 27th 03, 12:19 AM
The Nielands

If that's the worst mistake you ever make, you can be proud of yourself! At
what point did you realize that you'd reversed the colors? I made a block
the other night and just as I got ready to mail it to a friend, I noticed
the fabric in the center of the square was wrong-side out! I really debated
about pulling it all apart and resewing it, but it's not a really noticeable
difference between the right and wrong sides, and I think the friend will
appreciate the "error of my ways."

Louise in Iowa
"Bonnie" wrote in message
Charlotte Henson wrote:

The amusing thing in all of this is that I gave this quilt to my current
boyfriend and have given all the others I've made myself to various
people. So I'm a stealth quilter at my home. It takes a quilter to know
one. You'd see my stash of cottons organized by color and my rotary
cutter and mat. Other than that there isn't a quilt in the place. And it
may be blasphemy but I'm not sure I want one. Maybe it's only the mother
of all quilts for me... Maybe I just haven't found *my* quilting voice.

-Charlotte

The first quilt that I made that I kept was a drunkard's
path that I got the colors reversed on one square. The
pattern was lost because of that mistake. Afterwards, I
made another one with the correct pattern - I kept that one
also!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 27th 03, 12:21 AM
Jalynne

Oh, believe me, i am working on a quilt for our bed. I'm hand piecing it and hand
quilting it, so it'll be a while yet. The top is about 1/10th done so far...LOL. I
might make something by machine in the meantime, we'll see. I have a few other UFO's
to get through before I even can think about that.

--
Jalynne