The first quilt?

Old August 26th 03, 04:44 AM
Jalynne

Even though i had quilters in my family, I never had one until I started making them.
In fact, I still don't have one for my bed, either. But that will change...i'm
working on it! And...my DD will always have one of my quilts to grace her
bed...always.

--
Jalynne

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Never had one til I started making them. Actually, that's why I started
making them. I still don't have one for my bed (cept an old store
bought...it's falling apart, of course).

I envy people who had quilters in their family.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"The Nielands" wrote in message
In an e-mail replying to Diana's thread about getting started in quilting,
Julie said she always had a quilt in her life thanks to her Grandmother.
That got me to thinking (a dangerous thing at this time of day when I'm
tired from work!). What's the first quilt you remember in your life?

Like Julie, mine was one from Grandma. It was a Trip Around The World in
fabric from the 30s and 40s (I'm guessing on that part). I remember it

being
on my bed upstairs in the old farmhouse we lived in, and I'd sit and trace
each "trip" with my finger. I'm sure it was hand quilted, and I just loved
that quilt! When I finally learned to quilt in the 80s, TATW was my first
project, and I think it might still be my favorite pattern.

So what's the first quilt you remember (even if it was from just last

year)?

Louise in Iowa

Old August 26th 03, 01:21 PM
Clooniff

The first quilt I remember was a crazy quilt. I still have it. My mother
found some foundation squares that had been started by a great-aunt (I
think) and finished making the top. It has pieces from my GGM's wedding
dress, GGFs wedding vest and lots of other bits of clothing over three
generations. The only embroidery on it is herringbone stitches around the
pieces. The back is green satin quilted with a feather pattern onto a 2"
thick wool batt, and the top appliqued onto that. When we were sick and had
to stay in bed Mother would get it out for us to sleep under. That's
probably why I love the Robert Louis Stevenson poem "The Land of
Counterpane".

Betty in CT

Old August 26th 03, 05:41 PM
juliasb(nospam)

I'm sitting here thinking about the beginnings of quilts in my life and
when I actually received my first quilt. I remember watching when I
grew up, my sister cutting and stitching away on quilts. Her memories
are the clearest any way. (my sister it 21 years older than I am).
I was in my late teens when I received a quilt top from her for
Christmas one year. I was in love with it. However because of my lack
of experience I thought it best to put it aside for a couple years.
Well I finally put it together down the line and wish that I could have
done a better job at it. Anyway the quilt was used hard and furious for
a number of years and mending after mending, it finally could not be
fixed again (sigh). My sister and that quilt were the biggest
inspiration to my search to learn quilting. I tried more times than
imaginable to re-create the pattern she used but to no avail.
Now I am sure that everyone special in my life has a quilt that can
be used and/or passed down to another generation.
My second grandchild will be here in a few months and this child too
will come into this world with a quilt from Nana.
juliasb

The Nielands wrote:
In an e-mail replying to Diana's thread about getting started in quilting,
Julie said she always had a quilt in her life thanks to her Grandmother.
That got me to thinking (a dangerous thing at this time of day when I'm
tired from work!). What's the first quilt you remember in your life?

Like Julie, mine was one from Grandma. It was a Trip Around The World in
fabric from the 30s and 40s (I'm guessing on that part). I remember it being
on my bed upstairs in the old farmhouse we lived in, and I'd sit and trace
each "trip" with my finger. I'm sure it was hand quilted, and I just loved
that quilt! When I finally learned to quilt in the 80s, TATW was my first
project, and I think it might still be my favorite pattern.

So what's the first quilt you remember (even if it was from just last year)?

Louise in Iowa

--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

Old August 26th 03, 07:35 PM
Emilia

"The Nielands" wrote in

[...]

I also still have my "first" quilt.
It was from my grandmother's house. It's a log cabin. It is so old and
worn that it is almost all white now... and full of holes...

Old August 26th 03, 07:52 PM
Charlotte Henson

My first quilt has a sorta funny story.

Many women in my family are incredible seamstresses but none quilt.

My then boyfriend and I were out looking at garage sales on a Sunday
morning. We followed the signs to one and started looking around. I
found a nice, simple twin-sized grandmother's fan done in blue and
whites and hand-quilted in somewhat large, loose stitches. It has a
poly-cotton sheet backing brought round to the front. Nothing
extraordinary but still pretty.

I wasn't sure exactly who the other man at the sale was. He was the only
one there but he looked like he was going through the things for sale
too. He wasn't the cleanest person I've ever seen. He noticed me looking
around and said somewhat spontaneously "Scott's upstairs, but I can sell
that for him, do you want to buy it?" I said yes and readily agreed to
buy it for the asking price of $5. He looked sorry he hadn't asked for
more but continued to pick stuff up. As we were driving away we saw him
found these garage sale items left out overnight and must have pocketed
my $5.

I felt guilty about that for a while but then I realized whoever was
selling this stuff didn't care much about it if he couldn't be bothered
to bring it in overnight. The quilt is in far better care in my hands
and the homeless guy probably needed my $5. So I think everything turned
out for the best.

The amusing thing in all of this is that I gave this quilt to my current
boyfriend and have given all the others I've made myself to various
people. So I'm a stealth quilter at my home. It takes a quilter to know
one. You'd see my stash of cottons organized by color and my rotary
cutter and mat. Other than that there isn't a quilt in the place. And it
may be blasphemy but I'm not sure I want one. Maybe it's only the mother
of all quilts for me... Maybe I just haven't found *my* quilting voice.

-Charlotte

Old August 26th 03, 08:32 PM
georg

Charlotte Henson wrote:
The amusing thing in all of this is that I gave this quilt to my current
boyfriend and have given all the others I've made myself to various
people. So I'm a stealth quilter at my home. It takes a quilter to know
one. You'd see my stash of cottons organized by color and my rotary
cutter and mat. Other than that there isn't a quilt in the place. And it
may be blasphemy but I'm not sure I want one. Maybe it's only the mother
of all quilts for me... Maybe I just haven't found *my* quilting voice.

That's ok. Think of it this way... your gifts are practice. When you
really want a quilt of your own, you'll have athe skills to make one
that will last the rest of your life and be a true heirloom.

I don't have many things that I've made myself- I only have 2 beds and
blankets enough for 6. And there's no wall space, since I used to paint
(most of those I still have). But my parents have this family cabin in
the woods, and there's a lot of beds up there... so I have a lot of
places to put them that aren't in my house. So don't expect to see a lot
of quilts in my home. I think there's only one that I made here- and
that protects the stash by allowing cats to sleep on that instead of in
stash.

-georg

Old August 26th 03, 08:49 PM
Charlotte Henson

Bonnie wrote:

The first quilt that I made that I kept was a drunkard's path that I got
the colors reversed on one square. The
pattern was lost because of that mistake. Afterwards, I
made another one with the correct pattern - I kept that one
also!

Bonnie,
The second time did you do it with the same colors? Or did you branch
out? Do you keep those two with each other?
I find these choices very interesting....
-Charlotte

Old August 26th 03, 08:51 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Oh? Did I know this about you? Oh, just read your last line. Nevermind.
Sigh.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Charlotte Henson" wrote in message
I'm happy giving them away. I feel like a Jeannie Cottonseed of quilts.
It's working!

-Charlotte

(no LN, if you ALREADY quilt then giving you one won't start you on a
lifetime of quilting, see?)

Old August 26th 03, 09:07 PM
Bonnie

I did use different fabrics - I can't do two things alike.
They are displayed in the same room. Many people can't see
the mistake, but it is glaring to me.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 26th 03, 10:01 PM
georg

Charlotte Henson wrote:

georg wrote:

I don't have many things that I've made myself- I only have 2 beds and
blankets enough for 6. And there's no wall space, since I used to
paint (most of those I still have).

Ohhh! painting! That's next up for me. I need more space, of course.

Sadly, I can't paint any more. Something about not being able to paint
and keep breathing. It's this inability that has driven my artistic
skills to seek other, less toxic artforms. So no hand-dying for me either.

But that's ok, I can make some really cool artwork now, that never would
have occurred to me to try before this. No one else in my family paints,
except my husband's cousin, and she's a professional. But since there's
other fabric artists in the family, they can appreciate the effort.

-georg