The first quilt?

Old August 26th 03, 12:35 AM
The Nielands

Default The first quilt?

In an e-mail replying to Diana's thread about getting started in quilting,
Julie said she always had a quilt in her life thanks to her Grandmother.
That got me to thinking (a dangerous thing at this time of day when I'm
tired from work!). What's the first quilt you remember in your life?

Like Julie, mine was one from Grandma. It was a Trip Around The World in
fabric from the 30s and 40s (I'm guessing on that part). I remember it being
on my bed upstairs in the old farmhouse we lived in, and I'd sit and trace
each "trip" with my finger. I'm sure it was hand quilted, and I just loved
that quilt! When I finally learned to quilt in the 80s, TATW was my first
project, and I think it might still be my favorite pattern.

So what's the first quilt you remember (even if it was from just last year)?

Louise in Iowa

Old August 26th 03, 01:18 AM
georg

The Nielands wrote:
So what's the first quilt you remember (even if it was from just last year)?

Mum made patchwork covers for very old blankets that were showing their
wear for my sister and I as our main blankets when we first had twin
beds. So I've always loved the patchwork. And the first quilt proper was
one that stayed in her room on the foot of her bed. It was a LeMoyne
star with a white background. I know the fabrics aren't 100% cotton, but
it was all hand sewn.

It wasn't until I was Jr. High, when my mom decided to get serious about
making more quilts, and mine would be the first one she was going to
make. I had to pick the pattern (Storm at Sea) and the three fabrics
(all lavender with one a bit darker), and she did all the stitching (by
hand). I still have it. It's terribly stained with coffee and
highlighting markers, but gosh, it's still together. And I've watched
her produce a quilt a year for about 15 years. She's since stopped or
slowed down, and switched back to her constant love of counted cross
stitch... but I've learned a great deal just from watching her and
seeing her quilts. And we've gone to LQS's and quilt shows together just
for the joy of it.

-georg

Old August 26th 03, 01:52 AM
Bonnie

The first quilt in my memory was made by my great
grandmother. She was very dear to me and I thought
her quilts were perfect. I have one and I cherise
it, even though it is in terrible condition. When
I look at it now, I realize that she wasn't a great
quilter but she did love to make quilts to keep all
her grandchildren warm.
I hope someday my grandkids will look at the quilts
I make for them and think that they were stitched
with love.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 26th 03, 02:47 AM
The Nielands

I love the fact that your mom makes quilts and you go to shows, etc.,
together. Neither my mom nor my sisters have any desire to get into
quilting, but at least they will go to the shows with me and oooh and aaaah
at the appropriate times! We may have some quilters coming up, though. Last
week I babysat for my niece and nephew (6 and 5 years), and they were really
interested in the sewing room. Before the night was over, we had made each
of them a nine-patch (they picked out the colors and placement of the
fabrics and then sat on my lap, helping me guide the fabric through the
machine). We birthed the quilts, and they were SO proud to show them off to
Mom and Dad. I think we'll be doing more!

Louise in Iowa

Old August 26th 03, 02:49 AM
The Nielands

I remember comforters from my other Grandma! In fact, I have two of them in
my collection right now. As much as I loved to trace the trips around the
world on the quilt on my bed, I remember how "comforting" it was to curl up
in those comforters, too! I had almost forgot about them. Thanks for the
reminder!

Louise in Iowa
"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...
From: "The Nielands"

...... So what's the first quilt you remember (even if it was from just

last
year)?

I have never gotten a quilt! My Granny was from Ireland and she sewed

but
she never made quilts. She made all her clothig, rag rugs, tatted stuff,
crocheted stuff but no quilts.
Years ago -- at least 25 -- I first put my hand to making what I termed

comforter because it wasn't quilted, it was tied and I used really FAT

batting.
I made them for the babies being born and they were made of poly/cotton
gingham. I would alternate 3 different sizes of 10" gingham. The

comforters
were 3 blocks wide and 5 blocks long and the backing was a 45" wide
coordinating solid. I left the batting about 2" larger than the quilt on

all 4
sides and turned the excess backing to the front, tucked in the raw edge,
mitered the corners and top stitched the whole thing down.
They weren't too bad, all things considered. Of course, they were

nothing
like the quilts I make now that I have found RCTQ and been totally

corrupted by
y'all -- thank the heavens :-)))! CiaoMeow ^;;^
.
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old August 26th 03, 02:51 AM
The Nielands

Bonnie,

Thankfully, we don't necessarily need to make quilts to keep our loved ones
warm (other than emotionally), but I'm confident that our grandkids and
nieces and nephews, in my case, will know how much love went into them.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Louise in Iowa

Old August 26th 03, 03:23 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Never had one til I started making them. Actually, that's why I started
making them. I still don't have one for my bed (cept an old store
bought...it's falling apart, of course).

I envy people who had quilters in their family.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old August 26th 03, 04:04 AM
Julia in MN

There were no quilters in my family, so my first quilt was the one my
husband's grandmother gave us for a wedding gift 36 years ago. I used it
a lot until a year or so ago when some of the fabric started wearing
out. It's for display only now.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old August 26th 03, 04:40 AM
Jalynne

The first one i remember was at my dad's step mother's house. It was one of those
ones made with brown and orange and green thick wool and double knit polyester
squares and tied. It was very ugly and very warm.

--
Jalynne