Need help from quilters.. Heart Quilt Blocks in trade for donation please read!

Old August 7th 03, 03:11 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: (The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me)

........ Tell your mom to get busy and do it the old fashioned way- eat
less and exercise. ...........

VBS -- doesn't work if the excess weight isn't from overeating. For me to
lose weight, I have to restrict my caloric intake to UNDER 1,000 (800 is best)
a day and ALSO exercise for a minimum of 45 minutes a day, 6 days a week.
Doing all of that, it will take me about three months before I will see any
appreciable weight loss. I am one of those people who have a perfectly healthy
thyroid -- as least as far as the standard tests can show -- and Dr's have
never been able to find out why I have so much trouble losing weight. Now that
I am post-menopausal, it's even worse :-(.
I WILL agree -- limit your calories AND exercise. If you over 25 or 30
that's about the ONLY healthy way to lose weight. Not sure if the young woman
and her story are on the "up & up" but if she is, I have been where her mom is
and the only thing that helped was having my stomach stapled. Even with that,
I have to do the 1,000 or less calories a day and the serious exercise not that
my body has adjusted to the different stomach size.
I once read that constant dieting & exercise for those who are prone to
obesity can be a double edged sword. by always restricting your calories and
then burning them off with exercis, your body thinks you are in the "almost
starving" mode and turns all calories that are not used quickly to fat! The
body WANTS those fat stores to help carry it through all of the semi-starvation
that constant dieting results in! Not sure how much of that is true but it's
an interesting theory!! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old August 7th 03, 03:22 AM
Kate Dicey

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me wrote:

Geez.... I was 100+ lbs. overweight for over 12 years. IT'S NOT *THAT*
MUCH! You *can* lead a normal life at 100 lbs. over-weight. You DO
NOT need to beg on news groups at 100 lbs. over weight. BUT..... you
can go thru hell in your personal life and suddenly find that eating
constantly just doesn't cut it any more and then start doing some
exercise- just a little at first, I'm 100% disabled- and you will start
feeling better. Then you find that eating less and exercising a bit
more and looking nicer feels *really* good.... and then suddenly---- I
am ***66 POUNDS LIGHTER AND LOVING IT!!!!!** And I'm still going
lower! Tell your mom to get busy and do it the old fashioned way- eat
less and exercise. It still works.... I can prove it. So can a few
others on this group! Ladies? Please speak up.....

Leslie (size women's 20 to a misses 14)

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Me too - well, so far 25 lbs off and sinking! Goal weight is 146 lbs
and I'm currently at 188 lbs. 146 is the top of my BMI, so I could go
lower. We'll se how I feel when I get there. At present a UK size 14
looks like a good size to aim for.

There was a very scary programme on the telly the other week, called
'Diets from Hell'. There was a young man there who almost ate himself
to death. Got so he couldn't move out of his room, couldn't walk,
couldn't wash properly, and almost died of septicaemia. The fire
brigade had to take him out of his bedroom by the window, first removing
the window frame.

He had the stomach stapling op and lost 20 stone - 280 lbs. His medical
team wanted him to lose at least another 200 lbs. The lad was only 24.
At the end of the programme, he was mobile (just), could get in and out
of the house and up the stairs, but was still classed as 100% disabled
by his weight. In his case it was have the op and take a 45% chance of
not surviving it or be dead in six months.

He had also taken responsibility for having got himself into this state,
and was fully committed to becoming as healthy as he could from now on.
Teasing at school while a child had lead to the initial comfort eating,
and his mother did admit that she should have checked it while he was
young enough to heed her, but in the end, he did admit that he has eaten
the food and done this to himself. It's not easy to admit that one's
weight is one's own responsibility, but the commitment to losing it does
require you acknowledge that you ate what put you into the obese
category. I've yet to meet a fat person (myself included) who was force
fed into that state.

There are many dangers with this operation, half of which have to do
with actually operating on someone so obese. Personally, I'd rather try
anything else first!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 7th 03, 05:37 AM
Walt & Cheri Carroll

I saw the program on that guy and also the follow up. He eventually
returned to his old habits and regained all the weight and then some. He
did die from heart failure not long after. They had to disassemble the
house and use a fork lift to remove the body. Sad ending.

Cheri

Old August 7th 03, 06:22 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Absolutely! I am 52, eat 600 to 800 calories a day and am WORKING at
it. And working HARD! BUT..... it *does* come off if you do! And it
*is* worth it.....

Leslie

Old August 7th 03, 07:29 AM
Sharon Harper

Oh Kate! I have to bow down to your tact, your way with words, and the
wonderful, sensitive, and kind way you dealt with this. Thank you for
saying politely what I couldn't.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Having read this thread through careful before commenting, I would just
say:

You caused severe offence by trying to sell ANYTHING he this is a
NEWS group, not a marketplace group, and selling anything is very
severely frowned upon. You would have done better to read the rules for
news groups in general, where this is clearly set set out, and for this
group in particular, which has fought a long hard battle against
spammers. You would also have done much better to lurk for a day or two
and READ all the posts, to see what sort of a group this is, or to ASK
if posting ads was acceptable and to be shown the charter for this
group. Instead you jumped in with both feet and landed on a lot of
sensibilities, bruising them. You ignored the social mores of the
group, and you wonder why you got a poor reception? Your personal
circumstances, severe though they may be, are irrelevant to this issue.

You will have to understand that we will also remain sceptical about the
person you say sent you here. Were they a regular poster and taking a
full part in what goes on here, all this would be well known to them and
one thing they

There are several of us here who's circumstances are at least as dire as
those you describe. When their troubles hit them, we as a group do our
best to support them in whatever way we can. We have supported our
friends through divorce, marriage, death of loved ones, cancer (there
are a number of these ongoing at present), loss of jobs and loss of
mobility. They may also ask us to help with ideas for raising money,
but none of them try to sell us things in an inappropriate place and
manner.

There are also those of us here who are professional quilters of various
sorts as well as amateurs and new quilters. Most if us are here to
exchange ideas and skills, information, and even fabric Sometimes we
exchange whole blocks. This is the thing about this group: we exchange
like for like. We don't BUY quilts - we MAKE them. This group is for
people to exchange things to do with making quilts for ourselves.
Occasionally we get together and make a quilt for a member of the group,
for a particular reason. If something terrible happens, we make a hug
quilt for that person. That person does NOT try to blackmail his or her
friends on the news group into buying their quilts with harrowing
tales. They may well ask for (and get in abundance - and I speak from
experience here) prayers for themselves and their loved ones, but no-one
has yet asked for money.

Sometimes we find a quilty project cannot be completed without a bit of
begging: there are times when we run out of a particular fabric and
cannot get it anywhere. We ask here, and sometimes the fabric is freely
given, out of love, and sometimes a swap is arranged. There is always a
barter or exchange happening here, but not of money - not a sale.

Your story is neither unusual nor different from many others that do the
rounds as begging spams daily. We have no way of checking its veracity,
and with so many being stung like this before, we will remain sceptical
and leery of such attempts at gaining sympathy. It reads like so many
of the 'charity' begging letters that amount to nothing more than
emotional blackmail. Some of these come from very respectable and well
known organizations, like Oxfam and Amnesty International, as well as
from individuals, and they may come via the mail or via the internet,
but they amount to the same thing: unsolicited begging. This may not
have been your intention, but this is how it came across. Now, WE did
not write the tale: that is wholly your responsibility, and if it did
not do as you hoped it would, you have to ask yourself why not.

Your posting was spam: an unsolicited advertisement to a news only
group.

It's a begging letter: you ask for 'donations'.

This may sound a little hard, but you also need to ask yourself, who
caused the offence? And having answered this honestly, you then need to
say, What can I do to put this right? Then you need to do it.

P.S. There is a very supportive Weight Watchers news group, and also
various other diet support groups on the net that will help your mother
in every way they can.

Old August 7th 03, 07:30 AM
nzl*

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, what the heck is 600 to 800 calories in food?
what do you eat?
how do you keep blood sugar levels up?
i'd starve. i need to lose weight, also post menopausal.
it aint easy. i dont eat a lot but not what i ought to, i know that.
does mouse clicking count as exercise?
i got the skinniest fingers in town .
jeanne
nzl*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....
but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
i'll be there!!! will you???

"The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me" wrote ...
| Absolutely! I am 52, eat 600 to 800 calories a day and am WORKING at
| it. And working HARD! BUT..... it *does* come off if you do! And it
| *is* worth it.....
|
| Leslie
|
| The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me
|
| RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
| jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
| that was fun!"

---

Old August 7th 03, 07:37 AM
Sharon Harper

You said it yourself honey. We like to TRADE not BUY or SELL.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
Member of the Houston 2004 Party Animals
"Cheyne" wrote in message
om...
I was referred here by someone in another group in another place who
also posts here and said that this group likes to trade quilt blocks.
My mom is really sick, I am just to the point where I dont know what
to do, I am offering my life.. I have been selling everything I can on
ebay and my mom doesnt even know I am doing all this but as a
daughter, and as many of you would do too, help your loved one or
parent in a time of need. Believe me if you want, I can even include a
link to my mother's prize winning quilt at the county fair which she
has been trying to sell on ebay as a start to raising money to get
herself the treatment she needs. Her insurance specifically has weight
taken out regardless of illness or not. I wasnt asking to have stones
thrown at me, or asking for free money. I would never do that, but I
was offering to trade something of value that you might want to use,
or need in hopes for a better future for my mom. :*( Yes there are
scams out there, but its really tough for people who need help. My mom
would never ask for anything from anyone, and as a daughter who is
only 22, I see her pain... and would give anything to help her. She's
52 and her life will end soon if she doesnt get help.. So believe me
or not, I have this same donation/auction running on ebay, you can
even see pictures of the blocks. If you would like some, great, if you
dont, then I am sorry if I bothered you, but stones are really harsh
to someone who was just trying to support someone.

If I see something I dont agree with, I just dont say anything, but
theres no need to treat someone with disrespect. This is a link to my
mothers quilt, she was asked to enter it in the Houston Livestock Show
and Rodeo to represent her town, as well as in talks to have it
displayed at the Houston Quilt Show, but she is desperate and would
give this quilt up just for a better life...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=94 7&rd=1
My auction name is Imagine_art
and I have been selling personal posessions as well as paintings and
anything I can think of to help my mom... Believe me if you want, I am
just a child asking for some help.

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message

. au...
I too was feeling this way. Forgive me if I'm cynical but......

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
Member of the Houston 2004 Party Animals
" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy1
You wouldn't be trying to fool us now, would you, Cheyne?
You wouldn't want to cheat a bunch of nice little ol' quilters, right?

If it sounds like bull, and it does....

Ragmop/Sandy--this is my opinion, of course--YMMV

"Cheyne" wrote in message
om...
Please read this fully...... Thank you for your time!

My name is Cheyne, the eldest daughter of my mom. Growing up my mom
has always had problems with her weight but the past few years,

things
have gotten bad for her. After having an emergency hysterectomy and
nearly dying from blood loss, she came home determined to make

herself
better. Doctors have told her that the reason she has problems with
her thyroids, very high blood pressure and the slowing in her pace
come from the fact that she is overweight. She has seriously high
blood pressure that is difficult to control, even with medications

and
the arthritis in her knees has become crippling.

She has tried countless diets, pills, supervised diets, classes
everything to help her become a healthier person, but nothing has
seemed to work for her. I know that if she was to have the gastric
bypass surgery that she so longs for, her life would brighten up
finally and she wouldnt have all these medical problems that
continously plague her.

Rather than asking for donations, I asked my mom to start making me
some quilt blocks so I could sell them online to make some money for
college bills. She is a very honest, loving person and would never

ask
anyone for anything; in fact she would probably be embarassed if she
knew that I had done this for just because she would feel that

people
would think she was begging which she is not. She is an absolutely
WONDERFUL quilter. She thinks the only chance she might have funding
her surgery would be to sell her award winning quilt which is listed
on ebay right now *You can see it if you look up "Starranch1" on

ebay
members*. I really dont want her to do that since it is her prized
posession, so I am going to try my luck and see how I do at helping

my
mom.

Heres what I ask from my moms fellow quilters in the world,

Send a donation of one dollar, or whatever you wish, and I will send
you a heart quilt block for each dollar recieved. Either to use them
in a quilt or a picture frame, they are beautiful. The dimensions

are
3 1/4" inches square and when sewn into a quilt 2 3/4" square. Need
certain colors? Just ask! Please send all donations with a self
address stamped envelope so i can send the blocks back to you. If

you
have any questions please feel free to contact me!

Donations can be sent to:

Cheyne Maclaskey

Thank you so much and GOD BLESS YOU!

If you have any questions, please email me at

Old August 7th 03, 10:02 AM
Kate Dicey

Sharon Harper wrote:

Oh Kate! I have to bow down to your tact, your way with words, and the
wonderful, sensitive, and kind way you dealt with this. Thank you for
saying politely what I couldn't.

Well, I just HOPE it was polite - but I am not famed for my tact! ;P
Quite the reverse, in fact...

Old August 7th 03, 04:35 PM
Pat in Virginia

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me wrote:
,,,,cut,,,,
eating less and exercising a bit
more and looking nicer feels *really* good.... and then suddenly---- I
am ***66 POUNDS LIGHTER AND LOVING IT!!!!!** And I'm still going
lower! Tell your mom to get busy and do it the old fashioned way- eat
less and exercise. It still works.... I can prove it. So can a few
others on this group! Ladies? Please speak up.....

Leslie (size women's 20 to a misses 14)

Woo Hoo! You go girl .... and buy a 'fat quarter of fabric' for
each 'fat quarter of Leslie' you lose! (You decide what that
equals, I'll suggest 5 pounds.)
Hugs, PAT
Old August 7th 03, 05:09 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

I think we oughta elect Kate our official mouthpiece. (Can't come up with
an appropriate "queen of . . . " word.)
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message