Needlework Tablecloth

Old August 7th 03, 06:24 AM
Russell Miller

Default Needlework Tablecloth

I have....had a tablecloth that I bought it at a second hand store. I
loved this tablecloth. But that was before my washing machine ate it.
Yup, just chewed it up and spit out all the little pieces. This
tablecloth seemed to be a fine white cotton or linen. It ironed up
beautifully. It had cross stitch flowers and ribbons stitched all
around the border, with a basket of flowers cross stitched in each of
the four corners. But just inside of this stiching, the tablecloth was
cut out into what I can only describe as a ladder shape done in....well,
sort of a crochet stitch of some sort. This cut out ladder ran parallel
to the cross stitching around the whole tablecloth. There was also a
little disc cut out in each corner, and the cross stitched basket of
flowers was done on the fabric in the middle of this cut out ladder
design. Kind of like a cotton or linen coin in the middle of a circular
crochet ladder, with a flower basket in the middle. This cut out and
cross stitch patterns was repeated in the center of the tablecloth as
well. Does anybody happen to know what this type of work is called?
I'd love to make a duplicate tablecloth but don't have a clue what the
work done on it is called. Thanks to anyone who knows. )

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.
--
Maureen Miller C.H.
Old August 7th 03, 11:55 AM
BDS2pds

On my list of to-dos I am making a friendship cloth. It is a teacloth I think.
It has sayings that are just delightful on it and has a fringed edge. I cut
it out of "The Hope Chest Collection" article in a needlework magazine LONG
ago. The sayings are :
Friendship Alone has that to give which makes it worthy our while to live.
Welcome shall dwell within this seat friendship alone can make it sweet.
For your faithful kindly ways health and happiness crown your days.
Like the rising orb of day may peace and joy attend thy way.
All four sides have a saying facing the table edge. And there are sampler type
works framing the sayings and rather squared off into a square within the
tablecloth . It is a delight but have not made it yet. What is holding me
back is of course the price of linen. It calls for 27 count cream linen which
is 1 yard and 4 inches so the rather primitive tea cloth is going to cost $60
or more depending upon linen price because of that. It is a delight though.

Old August 7th 03, 12:34 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Without actually seeing it, Maureen, I can only guess that it is:
1. cutwork - that would be a buttonholed edge on two sides with twisted
or buttonholed bars between these edges
2. A type of hemstitching with twisted bars (threads that wind around
the threads of the cloth).

Many embroidery stitches mimic crocheting. Is it possible for you to
scan a pic of this area and send to me? I can post it and get all kinds
of skilled needleworkers looking at it. grin
Dianne

Old August 7th 03, 06:44 PM
Russell Miller

Hi Elizabeth,

My tablecloth was very similar to the one shown on e-bay. Unfortunately
I can't scan even a small part of my tablecloth for others to see
because I rolled it up and threw it out in a major hissy fit! Boy am I
sorry now! Even the raggy bits would have given me something to go on
while searching for a new one to work on.

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

"Dr. Brat" wrote:

Russell Miller wrote:
I have....had a tablecloth that I bought it at a second hand store. I
loved this tablecloth. But that was before my washing machine ate it.

[description snipped]
Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Hi Maureen,

Did the work on your table cloth look like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=36 39

If so, it's drawn thread work. It looks much harder than it actually is.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

--
Maureen Miller C.H.
Old August 7th 03, 08:03 PM
Dr. Brat

Russell Miller wrote:
Hi Elizabeth,

My tablecloth was very similar to the one shown on e-bay. Unfortunately
I can't scan even a small part of my tablecloth for others to see
because I rolled it up and threw it out in a major hissy fit! Boy am I
sorry now! Even the raggy bits would have given me something to go on
while searching for a new one to work on.

But see, now we know what you're looking for. The table cloth I found
on Ebay is classic drawn thread. It's made up of a complex combination
of twisted bars, thrown coral knots, and needleweaving. It looks like
it's done on rather fine cloth, but Dianne insists that such cloth is
workable, so we'll believe her.

Now you have a choice. You can look for a similar table cloth at an
antique show or on Ebay (search on "drawn thread tablecloth"), or you
can teach yourself the techniques and do one yourself. Jonalene Gutwein
and Deanna Powell have a series of samplers out that teach this work
(see wwww.friendsinneedlework.com). It is far more complex looking than
it really is. Like every other kind of needlework, drawn thread is done
one stitch at a time.

Good luck!

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old August 7th 03, 10:08 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I would "guess", after looking at the close up, that it's higher than 40
count. You are right. I wouldn't call something like this tablecloth
"easy", but neither is it extremely difficult. Time consuming, yes.
But so are large embroidery pieces of any kind.

Thanks, Elizabeth, for that URL. What a lovely cloth.

Dianne

Old August 8th 03, 08:02 AM
Russell Miller

Thanks Elizabeth! I think what made my tablecloth so special was that I
always thought it was done by hand. Someone put a lot of sweat & tears
into that piece and I was always happy thinking it went to someone who
knew what an effort it took and appreciated it all the more for it. So
it only seems right that I make my own this time around. Who knows,
maybe some day my tablecloth will be equally appreciated by the next
generation of stitchers! I'll post it's picture when it's done. )

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Old August 8th 03, 10:29 AM
Wneedlej

Sounds like Hardanger to me.