The Annual Christmas Wish List

Old December 5th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default The Annual Christmas Wish List

Two more nice little gifts. I was just dusting the rubble from the SM and
realized there were two more special Special things you might want to stuff
in the stocking. I have a sort of flashlight - it's about the size of a
ballpoint pen, an LED and the light is on about 3" of something that will
bend and flex to get just all over the place in the bobbin area for
discovering sneaky snips and gopher guts.
The other cheap but VIP is my bottle of oil. Not just any ordinary
bottle. This one is made by Dritz and has a very long and flexible snout so
you can oil exactly precisely absolutely where you want to. I love 'em
both. Polly

Old December 5th 09, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default The Annual water soluble binding

Waaaah. Sorry, Bev. I didn't see your question. Water-soluble thread as a
help to machine stitching a binding goes this way.
After you've stitched the binding on by machine and it's time for the
dreaded marathon of handstitching the other edge:
You put in a bobbin full of the water-soluble thread. On top goes a
thread that's easy to see and (later) remove. White is good.
Machine stitch your binding so that it is neat at the corners and even
everywhere else. Think of this as basting.
Then ! You can remove the water-soluble bobbin thread, change to a
different matching or contrasting thread with a fancy stitch and stitch the
binding down without any slip-sliding or wandering. The 'white+
water-soluble' forces every inch of that binding to be still and perfect.
When you wash the quilt, the water-soluble bobbin thread will disappear
and let you take that white basting thread out just quick as a wink.
Well... maybe not that quick but really easily.
Sometimes, I enjoy handstitching the binding - sometimes there's just
not time like when the Yorkie has wet toes and the oven timer is dinging,
the phone ringing and well, you know. Polly

"Bev in TX" wroteOn Dec 3, 5:53 pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
L... I especially like using the water-soluble on the SM to
make a binding be still so I can machine stitch the binding down neatly.
Polly

How do you use water-soluble thread to do that?
Thanks
Bev in TX

Old December 5th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Polly,

The last time I did a binding, I tried glue basting it (Roxanne's Glue-
Baste-It). That worked quite well, as long as I was careful to not
get the glue on the edge to be sewn. One does need to wash the quilt
to remove the glue, but there are no threads to pick out.

Bev in TX

Old December 5th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Elmer's School Glue can be used too a la Sharon Schamber
http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%20stuff/images/Binding%20Class.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/yjjumpe

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old December 6th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

I bought fusible thread for this purpose, but I haven't tried it yet.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilty stuff: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

Old December 6th 09, 12:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

For my last quilt I spray basted the quilt sandwich and did my
quilting. Then sewed on the binding, flipped it to the other side and
glued it down, hand stitched the binding after gluing. If you get glue
on the part to be stitched (can't get a needle through it) dampen/wet
it and proceed with the stitching. I washed the quilt and it came out
of the dryer all soft and cuddly. I loved the whole process and will
do the same with my next endeavor.

I don't remember the name of the spray basting stuff but I used Sharon
Shambah's (sp?) Elmer's washable school glue method on the binding. It
works great!

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA, where it snowed all day yesterday, but also
melted a lot, there is still some left this morning.

Old December 6th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Bonnie Patterson wrote:

For my last quilt I spray basted the quilt sandwich and did my
quilting. Then sewed on the binding, flipped it to the other side and
glued it down, hand stitched the binding after gluing. If you get glue
on the part to be stitched (can't get a needle through it) dampen/wet
it and proceed with the stitching. I washed the quilt and it came out
of the dryer all soft and cuddly. I loved the whole process and will
do the same with my next endeavor.

I don't remember the name of the spray basting stuff but I used Sharon
Shambah's (sp?) Elmer's washable school glue method on the binding. It
works great!

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA, where it snowed all day yesterday, but also
melted a lot, there is still some left this morning.

I also use Sharon Schamber's glue technique on my bindings these days.
It's *so* nice not to have all of those pins poking me G and to know
that my corners are nice and even before I've done any stitching. This
technique also works well when machine stitching the second side of the
binding, which I do on kiddie quilts that will get lots of rough use.

wrote:

[...]

Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old December 6th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

I tried both fusible thread and Steam-a-Seam 2 lite tape in a binding
class at a LQS. I find the glue much easier to use. On the other
hand, you may find you like the fusibles more than the glue :-).
Bev in TX

Old December 6th 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Yes, that's where I saw using glue :-) when binding a quilt. Thanks
for the link.

I bought theRoxanne basting glue for some class that I took and then
it sat unused for several years. Somewhere along the line, I ended up
with another bottle for another class (I had forgotten the other
bottle as it was hidden away some place). I've only used about 1/8 of
the first bottle, and it takes so little, that I think I'll be using
Roxanne's version for quite a while :-).

I do have problems with the nozzle clogging up, so I purchased
Crowning Touch Fasturn Lil’ Sticks from P3 Designs in order to be able
to use it.

Bev in TX

Old December 6th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

I came across a couple binding by machine videos, that have links on
the following web page:
http://daystyledesigns.com/articles.htm#piece
Bev in TX

Jo's Annual Christmas Joke Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 3 December 12th 08 08:46 PM
Frank's Annual Gift List Frank Reid Quilting 26 December 26th 07 07:19 PM
The Annual Christmas Jokes polly esther Quilting 23 December 14th 06 01:36 PM
Christmas Wish List Tina Quilting 36 November 27th 05 07:13 PM
The Annual Christmas Rant :-) Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 4 December 2nd 03 04:43 AM