"Drat", says newbie...

Old August 22nd 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Georg

Default quilt for cat? "Drat", says newbie...

Jean B. wrote:
Debra wrote:

My quilt project materials get used by the cats before they even
become quilts.
Debra in VA

Hehe. Well, do the cat hairs get incorporated into the quilts?

I have a long-haired white and tiger. He's got every feline color fur in
there except orange, so it shows on everything.

He likes to sleep on top of the stash, sit on the cutting board while
I'm cutting fabric, sit in my lap for hand sewing, and if I work by
machine, he's supervising the machine. Why yes, everything comes out
with Pepe hair on it, incorporated into the stitching.

The rest of the cats aren't as involved.

Pepe hard at work:
http://runningscared.powerblogs.com/files/pepestitch

-georg
Old August 22nd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judy

look at it this way - the QIs help put insulation and warmth into a quilt!
IMHO
ME-Judy

--
Jean B.

Old August 22nd 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

Default "Drat", says newbie...

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:59:59 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Too bad the chocolate with erythritol (artificial sweetener
that doesn't have a laxative effect) seems to pretty much have
disappeared. It was quite good. I do see that there is some
available online, which folks seem to like though.

Jean, if you ever look at the sugar free items they are full of
carbs, and carbs turn to sugar which causes your blood sugar to go up
so they aren't really good for a diabetic either and one of the main
ingredients in them is sugar alcohol so that isn't a good exchange. I
pretty much just try to eat fairly low carb, not what someone on a low
carb diet would call low carb but what a diabetic calls low carb
whichi is around 100-125 carbs a day. Please don't go by the ADA diet
because, as my doctor said, "they thought they were helping people,
when in fact they were killing them." This was from an overload of
carbs. They recommend to this day 4 carb units with each meal, that
is around 60 carbs per meal. If I ate that many carbs for breakfast I
would die from a high blood sugar for sure, but it would not be good
for me at any meal. I limit my meals to 25-30, except for breakfast
which is only 6-9 carbs, carbs at breakfast affect me really bad.
Then I have a snack or two during the day to make up for that extra
25-35 carbs hanging around. I have not been out of range on the high
end in a long time. Can't say I haven't hit the long end a couple of
times, but mostly I stay like a normal non-diabetic person is.

Jacqueline who is so glad to get to time to post again but doubts she
makes it through over 600 posts today.

Jacqueline
http://www.mountain-breeze.com
Recipes and other fun things
Old August 23rd 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:59:02 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Debra wrote:

My quilt project materials get used by the cats before they even
become quilts.

Debra in VA

Hehe. Well, do the cat hairs get incorporated into the quilts?

Yes. The most noticeable is Samson's 5 inch long black hair.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 27th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jean B.

Jacqueline wrote:

[...]

I have been on a low-carb diet before, and I agree. (I have
been remiss too, sooo....)

--
Jean B.
Old August 27th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

Jean, I must of missed the info on alzehemiers that you were going to
send, but I got so far behind in reading posts it would have been very
easy to do. Would you mail it to me at quilter at
mountain-breeze dot com please?

Jacqueline

Old September 23rd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jean B.

Default Beginning "Drat", says newbie...

Sandy Ellison wrote:

Howdy!

I used to hand-piece all my quilts.
Here are a few pictures of beginning the piecing process,
just taking those 2 squares, laying them right sides together,
sewing a (mostly) straight seam along one side;
I use handquilting thread as it is *strong* & doesn't need
to be doubled on the needle:

http://www.kathkwilts.com/lessons/gendirs.html

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.ne...andPiecing.htm
http://www.roserushbrooke.com/handpiece.html

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...quilting/43586
good pic on p.2

I don't use templates, just cut the pattern pieces w/ the rotary
cutter (most newer instructions include the seam allowance).
If you can eyeball a 1/4" seam, good; if not, mark it.

http://tinyurl.com/fmezs
This is a running stitch; I back-stitch every 3 or 4 stitches
to lock the stitch in the seam; if the thread every breaks
it only goes so far.

http://heirloomquilts.com.au/tut/tutorial2.php

One of the best resources for info: public library;
another is to get a quilter or 5 to show you how,
maybe at the local quilt shop.

You can do this, Jean B!!!

Oh, how sweet it is to get someone else involved in this addiction. LOL

Ragmop/Sandy --handquilter

On 8/16/06 1:46 PM, in article , "Jean B."
wrote:

Sandy Ellison wrote:

Howdy!

oooowaaahahahahahahaha!
Hooked another one!

Easiest by hand: cut some fabric squares, all the same size.
Sew 2 of them together: you have a pair.
Sew 2 more of them together: another pair.
Sew the pairs together: you have a 4-patch.
See how easy that was?
Repeat. g
Let the fabric make it fun & interesting for a 4-patch.
When you get them all put together, then you move on to another
pattern, a 9-patch, playing w/ triangles, curves--really,
curves are not difficult.
Crazy quilting, tho', could be a bigger challenge for a
first quilt. Or not. ;-)

Good luck! And Welcome, Jean B!!

Ragmop/Sandy-- my favorite 4-patch:
http://tinyurl.com/jf58k
Latest 4-patch mix: http://tinyurl.com/j7shs

Such a very late reply, which I profusely apologize for.
Those are some great links, Sandy! They are about the level I
need. I did finally find a great book, through Interlibrary
Loan: First-Time Quiltmaking: Learning to Quilt in Six Easy
Lessons by Becky Johnston.

Among other things, it has a glossary for total newbies--and
other basic terms are also explained in the book. I am
tempted to type them all up and post them here....

--
Jean B.
Old September 23rd 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

Default OT Ping Jean B.

Jean, I tried to email you back about the email. Yes it was the
alzehemier's group you belonged to that you were going to send me.

Old September 24th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jean B.

Jacqueline wrote:

Jean, I tried to email you back about the email. Yes it was the
alzehemier's group you belonged to that you were going to send me.

Jacqueline
http://www.mountain-breeze.com
Recipes and other fun things

Sorry. You have to change the 2 to a z in my addy when you
reply. I got tired of seeing that in my posts and thought
others would too....

--
Jean B.