What would you do?

Old August 26th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

Default What would you do?

In article xjKHg.727$nR2.106@trnddc03,
Taria wrote:

She gave the quilt to the woman. SHe has no rights to it. She has told
her she would buy it back. At some point you have to just drop the
whole thing, learn a lesson and move on. The woman isn't deserving of a
quilt. Don't give her another. Don't have any dealings with her and
quilts. MIL is trying to get your goat, is ignorant or both. I wouldn't
give her the satisfaction or any more gifts. Let your dh buy her gifts
from now on. She's his mother.
Taria

Good point, Taria. And I'd hesitate to play the "family-first" card,
too, since one's MIL *is* family, after all. Just tell her that you
can't/won't make the quilts. Explaining the cost might work, but a
simple "no" is probably the best bet. If she tries to wheedle you into
it, just keep repeating, "no". I'm pulling for you -- I know what it
feels like to have to develop some heels to dig in!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 26th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Yes, that's right. I'll edit my first comment. You really do have to "let
go" when you give something as a gift, even if you get burned. So I
wouldn't demand to get it back, but maybe watch for it at the garage sale or
offer to buy it at a "preview". Taria's post hits the nail on the head.
Well said.
KJ

"Taria" wrote in message
She gave the quilt to the woman. SHe has no rights to it. She has told
her she would buy it back. At some point you have to just drop the whole
thing, learn a lesson and move on. The woman isn't deserving of a quilt.
Don't give her another. Don't have any dealings with her and
quilts. MIL is trying to get your goat, is ignorant or both. I wouldn't
give her the satisfaction or any more gifts. Let your dh buy her gifts
from now on. She's his mother.
Taria

KJ wrote:
This whole conversation has me dumbfounded. I think you should get your
quilt back ASAP. If it IS faded, try some of the fabric paints to
re-embellish it. But I still wouldn't let her think it was OK to sell it
at a garage sale that soon after you gave it to her. And as to the
request to make quilts for her bosses....everyone has said it much better
than I can. NO!
KJ

"Debbie" wrote in message

Yes, but she said it was faded so you wouldn't want it, didn't she? I'd
try
to save it. You'll be sad if it goes.

No, when I looked astonished that she was selling it, she said it was
faded (that's her reasoning for wanting to sell an almost new quilt)

Debbie

Old August 26th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Erin

Nancy in NS wrote:
Honestly! I've never
heard of such a thing -- even if your MIL had NO
appreciation for the value of a quilt, the fact that it was
a gift would make it a keeper in my house!

Exactly!!! I have some crafty items in my home that Harri's youngest
nephew made for us for the last few Christmases (sp?). They are all
used and/or displayed in places of honor not least because the little
guy made them himself.

Erin