What is String Quilting??

Old April 20th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What is String Quilting??

I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Betty
"Donna973" wrote in message
. ..
I put a picture of my string pieced quilt on webshots, in the Works in
Progress folder. The picture is a little darker than the quilt is. The
border is chunks of leftover red fabrics. I have a lot of red fabric!
This top hasn't been quilted yet.
--
Donna973
There is no MAYBE in my reply address

Old April 20th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

That's fabulous!
Love all the reds mixed w/ the other scraps.
Way to go!

Ragmop/Sandy

Old April 20th 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That's gorgeous Donna. And, as many will know, I am not able to handle
scrappy most of the time!! but the continuity provided by the red
strips just gives it enough 'order'.
Have you noticed the 3-D effects you get from the light/dark placement?
it's fun.
..
In message , Donna973
writes
I put a picture of my string pieced quilt on webshots, in the Works in
Progress folder. The picture is a little darker than the quilt is. The
border is chunks of leftover red fabrics. I have a lot of red fabric! This
top hasn't been quilted yet.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 20th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That is beautiful and such a great way to use up scraps. Thank you for
showing us.

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

. ..

Old April 20th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Not as far as I know. BG If she finds out and uses it I hope I get a
"royalty"! (fat chance!!!)

Pati, in Phx who really needs to get a couple of these done very soon.

nzlstar* wrote:
how clever of you, Pati.
a great little stocking stuff for xmas.
does martha stewart know about this?

jeanne

Old April 20th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh, my gosh!! What a great idea. Do you put a muslin backing behind the
batting, and then just put the blocks together? More details please!!
--
TerriLee in WA (state)

"Don/Gen" wrote in message
when I make string quilts, I sew the "strings" to batting. That way, It's
already quilted.
Gen

"René" wrote in message

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
(Snip....) Traditionally something like muslin was used as a background

or
"unifying" fabric, but I like using something brighter. G

Pati, in Phx

Pati, I'm thinking of doing a string quilt, but I don't understand what

you
mean. If you use a background fabric (muslin or otherwise) why would it
matter what color it was? Wouldn't it be all covered up with the fabric
strings? It wouldn't show through, would it?

I'm finding so many good ideas for string quilts that I'm having trouble
coming to a decision of what I want to do first. So many quilts......

Thanks!

René

Old April 20th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Gorgeous!! I like red, too. And I have to laugh - when I looked at the
borders I thought "I have some of that!" about the red "hydrangea" print.
LOL
--
TerriLee in WA (state)

. ..

Old April 21st 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pati -- Thanks so much for replying. I get it now!

René

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
nk.net...
Okay, mis-communication time. I mean like the background in something
like a star block. The center and points of string pieced fabric, the
other parts of muslin, etc. Not the foundation fabric, but fabric used to
accent the string pieced fabric in some blocks. Like string piecing
squares, then pairing with unpieced fabric to make pinwheel blocks and so
on.

Hope that helps. I did a string sampler a while back, 12 different blocks
made with all sorts of strings of fabric, from kiddy stuff to Orientals,
to batiks, Christmas, Hanuka, St. Patrick's, and more. Used a bright teal
marble to sash and in backgrounds.
Fun quilt.

Pati, in Phx

Old April 21st 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks Pat. I love scrappy, but I like some order to it, also! The 3-D
effect is actually on purpose, although I discovered it by accident. g I
did a mock up of the quilt in EQ just to play with the setting and I noticed
that sometimes rotating the blocks popped them out a bit, so I tried for
that when I had the blocks on the design wall. When I first posted about
this quilt, I said that the blocks were half light and half dark. It
wasn't until I pulled it out to take a picture that I remembered that it's
actually half neutral (not light) and half not neutral. Many of my neutrals
aren't light at all.
--

"Patti" wrote in message
That's gorgeous Donna. And, as many will know, I am not able to handle
scrappy most of the time!! but the continuity provided by the red strips
just gives it enough 'order'.
Have you noticed the 3-D effects you get from the light/dark placement?
it's fun.
.
In message , Donna973
writes

Old April 21st 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I sew the blocks together, add a backing, and stitch on top of the seams so
the backing is "quilted" also. Depending on the batting used, the seams may
not lie as flat as I would like, so I use a decorative stitch on the seams.
Gen

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
(Snip....) Traditionally something like muslin was used as a

background
or
"unifying" fabric, but I like using something brighter. G

Pati, in Phx

Pati, I'm thinking of doing a string quilt, but I don't understand what

you
mean. If you use a background fabric (muslin or otherwise) why would

it
matter what color it was? Wouldn't it be all covered up with the

fabric
strings? It wouldn't show through, would it?

I'm finding so many good ideas for string quilts that I'm having

trouble
coming to a decision of what I want to do first. So many quilts......

Thanks!

René

World On A String -- Movie About Beads David Friedberg Beads 1 November 3rd 04 05:28 AM
Piggie's Quilting Winter..... Listpig Quilting 9 October 1st 04 12:39 AM
beginning machine quilting Patti Quilting 10 August 22nd 04 12:33 AM
Help!! Hand Quilting P8nPal Quilting 6 July 19th 04 06:09 PM
Quilting Design Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 1 November 24th 03 08:36 AM