How do you organize your thread?

Old March 20th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default How do you organize your thread?

Judy W wrote:
Both my machines run Beautiful no matter what I use, but after what
I've been told now by the different dealers, why take the chance?
But that's just me. I don't want any trouble with such an expensive machine.

I agree. And when you think about it, the thread is actually a pretty
small part of the cost of your quilt (or whatever you're sewing) unless
you use some very expensive decorative thread to do heavy quilting.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old March 21st 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Okay, Guess I will chime in. G

Cone thread is on 3 spinner racks (each holds 56 cones, more or less)
Most of the rest of the thread (on spools) is in a rolling cart with
drawers, 4 drawers each about the size of a shoe box, divided by color
family.
Decorative threads are in a wider shallower drawer in the same cart,
bottom drawer is stabilizers.
Woolly nylon is in another organizer, and my Aurifil is usually on the
machine. Other colors are on top in the drawers with threads on spools.
Invisible thread (SewArt Int. brand) is on one of the cone trees.

I don't buy much thread on spools these days. Usually just buying
Aurifil, usually in a beige which is what I use mostly.
Do have some hand quilting thread somewhere in a bag..... some is on the
spindles of my sewing basket, along with the Mettler silk finish, off
white.

Yes I have a lot of thread...... and I use it. G

Pati, in Phx

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Wow! I thought I'd seen every thread topic ... and lots of threads about
organization other than thread. But this thread about organizing thread
is new to me.

I purchased several boxes intended to store children's miniature cars.
Each costs about $5 US. Each one has two sides, with total of about 48
compartments. Capacity varies, depending on size of the spool. One box
is for 'regular thread', one for 'metallic' and other specialty thread,
including hand quilting thread, while the third box is for rayon and
such. I also have a few oversize cones, and store those in a lunch box.

PAT in VA/USA

Robin wrote:

Guess what I'm doing!

Do you organize your thread by color, by fiber content, by spool size,
by purpose, or do you have so many spools that you can organize it all
these ways?

Robin

Old March 21st 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article .net,
"Judy W" wrote:

I went to a different Bernina dealer later today and they said the same
thing. Also I have a Viking and the Dealer there told me the same. It's not
just the bobbin area it's in the top area of your machine you have to worry
about. Both my machines run Beautiful no matter what I use, but after what
I've been told now by the different dealers, why take the chance?
But that's just me. I don't want any trouble with such an expensive machine.

Judy

Did you ask why they thought it was so bad? I would be interested to
know more than "we think this thread is bad".

marcella
Old March 21st 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yikes, and I thought I had a lot of thread. I have racks like that too,
organized by color, but not by content (so I have to read the dang things),
but the heavy duty is in a plastic thread storage box, the serger cones are
on racks by color on the other wall, the wooly nylon is in a box of it's
own, the embroidery (rayons & metalics) have their own rack on the
embroidery machine table, and then theres a box of misc "these don't fit in
any of the above categories" stuff, too. LOL

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes! I separate by Coats and Clark standard sewing thread, 100%
cotton, rayon, specialty threads, invisible threads, fancies and
metallics, heavy duty and hand quilting. Then each section is
organized by color. I have well over 400 spools right now, so keeping
them well organized is really important to me. Otherwise, I'd be
searching forever for that perfect thread! See pics of my thread racks
at-
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60435514FiEiAB

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.
Robin wrote:
Guess what I'm doing!

Do you organize your thread by color, by fiber content, by spool size, by
purpose, or do you have so many spools that you can organize it all these
ways?

Robin
------=_NextPart_000_00C2_01C64BAE.01EED5A0

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Guess what I'm doing!/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Do you organize your thread by
color, by
fiber content, by spool size, by purpose, or do you have so many
spools
that you can organize it all these ways?/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Robin/FONT/DIV/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_00C2_01C64BAE.01EED5A0--

Old March 21st 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:36:52 GMT, "Robin"
wrote:

Guess what I'm doing!

Do you organize your thread by color, by fiber content, by spool size, by purpose, or do you have so many spools that you can organize it all these ways?

Robin

By color family.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old March 21st 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

mine are in "piles" according to purpose..

machine thread cotton
machine thead poly
hand quilting thread
silk applique thread

Old March 21st 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

by type - one drawer with regular thread (Mettler or Gutermann) arranged by
row of color family and the other with quilting thread (YLI, Valdani, or
Gutermann). Then I have another drawer with embroidery floss and stuff. I
gave away all of my Coats and Clark thread.
Sharon in Montreal

Old March 21st 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

They explained it to me but with my memory I won't be able to explain it to
you. I do remember them saying something about the way it is made and the
little pieces of thread (or fuss) that comes off of it, jamming your
machine. I think for the price of thread verses the price of our machines,
it isn't worth taking a chance.
Ask your Dealer about it and see what they say.
I'm on lots of medications which mess up my thinking process, so it's hard
to recall their exact words about it.

Judy

Old March 21st 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

When I got my first Viking machine (about 1976) I was told that the dual
duty thread was not a good one to use because of the way the thread is
made. The cotton is wrapped around the poly core. There is a tendency
for the cotton wrapping to shred, which can leave fibers all over the
insides of the machine, top and bobbin area.
I use it if I have to, but that isn't usual these days. There are so
many brands of thread that are so much less linty and work so well in
the machine that there is no need to use the less good ones. G
In the last several years I have heard more and more complaints about DD
thread too, from people who have used it for years. It seems that
quality is going down.
For garment sewing I generally use serger thread, unless I need a more
exact match for topstitching, then I will buy a spool of Guttermann or
Metrosene, (or Mettler Silk Finish Cotton) depending on where I am and
what color I need.

Pati, in Phx