A Favor of you Please

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 18th 03, 12:14 AM
judy in fort worth

I found RCTQ when I was new to the internet and trying to figure out the
attraction to chat rooms. This forum was more of what I was looking for and
was not filled with people pretending to be in their 40's when they were
really only teenagers. I do not post often but do read the ng daily. I
have made a couple of good friends in my local area through this ng---people
I would never have met any other place. I stay because the conversation is
always interesting and because I have learned a thing or two here.
My grandmother was a quilter although I did not know that when I began
quilting. She had passed away before I began to quilt. My MIL and GMIL
were quilters and I guess I just wanted to be part of the family---although
MIL and compete more than we collaborate! (odd family dynamics there!) I
took my first quilt class when my DS (now 23) was a baby---back in the days
of templates! Yuck! It is amazing that I stayed with it. For many years,
I was a purist and would only handquilt. Machine piecing was fine but it
wasn't a quilt unless it was handquilted. I am not sure what changed my
mind on that opinion but I think that it has something to do with wanting to
finish more than one quilt a year. Plus the longarm quilters are so much
better now than they were 20 years ago---the ones that quilt for me are true
artists.
What do I get from my quilting? The joy of creating something unique and of
giving a gift of myself. I give away most of my quilts to family members
and friends. It was hard at first to give a quilt to a person who doesn't
"get it" but I have gotten over that and now give a quilt because I want to
and because I think everyone in the world really needs a quilt.
I am always looking for a new challenge. I hope to leave a quilt legacy to
my family and friends and to raise sons who value a gift from someone's
hands and heart. I also quilt for the distraction. When life is too much
for me and my worrying gene kicks in, sitting at my machine and piecing a
quilt can take my mind off my problems. In the future I hope to find lots
of new fabric and inspiration.

judy in fort worth
remove 4 to reply directly