Time for another Roll Call?

Old January 29th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Time for another Roll Call?

As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Two big children, neither still at home. Richard 33 has lived with his
girlfriend and her three children for 5 years so it seems pretty
permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 37 and
lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central England. She
has her own Personal Training business, but I think she has given up
having a beautifully slim and fit mother!

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - birdwatches, rings birds for
migration stats, does conservation work, so I am left to stitch! (and
garden).

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a white cat with a grey tabby mask,
hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by 2 year old Mia (who is black and
white and would rather be doing other things), and her brother Kiwi who
shows great promise. Kiwi was supposed to be all black, hence his name
the New Zealanders will understand. However, he is a bit of a clown so
grows a long very fluffy brownish coat for winter, with a big
mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He retains his pitch black
face and legs though! In the summer he is black and short haired and
looks considerably smaller.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting about
6 years ago when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter,
lots of bits and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two things
unfinished but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I
could finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so
has the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

I've just had a sort out of my Webshots, so its fairly up to date. At
the moment I am concentrating on the 'Singing the Blues' and have spent
the evening appliqueing leaves - lots and lots of leaves!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, but ........ (Personal
Trainer is too far away to see!).

So .. open to everyone else!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old January 29th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Married nearly 40 years with 4 adult children (ages 37 down to 28) all
married and 8 grandchildren ages from nearly 13 down to 2 (5 boys, 3 girls).
DH and I manage a hotel in western Oregon so work 7 days a week and when one
of us is not "on the desk" we are "on call". I started quilting seriously
about 4 years ago and have most of my quilts pictured in my webshots
webpage. Currently I prefer paper foundation piecing.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old January 29th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Also retired but my years are so far advanced that they now look to be
retreating in the review mirror. Not married for more years than most two
couples put together have been. Children? I had my house sprayed but they
keep coming back. One QI, 19 years old who considers a good hard purr reason
for power nap.

If I was any further into the Northwest corner of the USA I'd need a
waterproof case for my passport.

I do not quilt, nope, not me......'cept this little Crazy Quilting thing
(CRAZY being the key word here) I seem to have been sucked into, stitching
little bits, embroidering that.....a few trims and beads, MORE trims and
beads.....seeking out charm packs...eyeing doilies when invited to
tea......checking out hair-bobs on the bus.....picking up buttons from the
sidewalk...wondering if that 5 year old would miss the ribbon in her
braid...are 4 sewing machines enough.....I need more stuff.....and
chocolate, and a cool cloth for my neck.....I need to lay down....NEXT!

Val

Old January 29th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Hi, I'm forcibly retired by health. I was a newspaper reporter/
freelance journalist/public relations/lobbyist sort of career and
never had time to take up a hobby. My two boys (now 21 and 18 and both
still at home) took what free time I had, oh and my incredible DH (who
is a newspaper editor). But about six years ago I took a quilting
class with a friend. It was fun, but I didn't have time what with
building my own business. Then in early 2003 I was diagnosed with
Sjogrenn's Syndrome and Lupus after a wee bit of falling apart at the
seams. My mom sent me a new SM and I took up quilting in self defense
against self pity. Works most of the time. I now have lots and lots of
fabric and I'm a gadget fanatic and I love notions and trim and I'm
trying to learn to be a bit more artsy. Although I'm also still
gaining basic skills. I have long periods when I can't do anything but
fondle my fabric and read quilty mags. So when I do get back at the
sewing machine, I try to go like crazy. Ends up giving me plenty of
opportunity to learn backwards sewing. I just inherited a Pfaff
7570 with all the embroidery stuff but don't know how to use it yet.
And I bought a Babylock embellisher. Great fun, but I haven't taken
time to master it yet.

So I quilt. Don't sew. Not crafty. Have one dog -- Jojo. He's a beast.
I live in Washington State about 3 miles inland from Seattle. Love it.
I cannot imagine why we spent 20 years in Phoenix.

I love chocolate, but caramel is my preference. My passion, however,
is hot, sweet, strong tea with milk and a raisin bagel on the side.
Groan. Now we know why Sunny is chubby.

Everybody jump in. I love these lists!

Sunny
Old January 29th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Hi,

I am 35 and a single mom with 4 kids, 3 boys aged 12, 11, 10 and little girl
who is 4. You can find them all on my webshots album. I am about to
graduate from university in BSW (bachelor os Social Work) with my focus on
community mental health, working with people who have severe and persistant
mental illnesses. Its an awsome place to be working Only 10 weeks left
till grad I started quilting when my daughter was born, as her
grandma is a sewing marvel. But wayyy back when I was 17 I lived with my
aunts in California, and they took me to a huge quilt show and I was hooked
at that very point I think. I love everything about quilting, the fabric,
the notions, the patterns, cutting sewing well ok fine I hate to sandwhich
and baste lol. I joined in a few swaps hosted here, and a few hugs, and
have grown to love this group very much, though I am often quite busy and
dont post as often as i could.... I forgot to mention that little videogame
habit of mine as well lol. I need to make me a video game quilt lol. My
first quilt was a Legend of Zelda quilt for my son Hmmm what else about
me... I live in BC Canada now, and we have quite few nice quilt shops, but I
hate to admit it, it is cheaper to buy from US online shops and ship it here
than buy local Though nothing beats a good LQS for insipiration!!! Oh
and sadly we arent allowed to have QI where I live So I have fish...
they dont much care for my quilts though lol

Carissa

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are

Old February 15th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Default FAO Sunny

I've obviously clicked on something and reordered, which has ended up
with me reading some threads that I hadn't read before, but are a couple
of weeks old. I found this from Sunny.

So I quilt. Don't sew. Not crafty. Have one dog -- Jojo. He's a beast.
I live in Washington State about 3 miles inland from Seattle. Love it.
I cannot imagine why we spent 20 years in Phoenix.

For some reason I thought you were in Eastern Washington, Sunny, you
must live very close to me. We need to compare notes about shops, you've
said you've had some difficulty with sewing machine shops, I've had
wonderful experiences!

Cheers
Anne
Old January 29th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
melinda[_2_]

Val wrote:

[...]

I'll post my roll-call in a bit, just letting everyone know I'm
alive, albeit with a very sore toe, and trying to catch up after
3 days in Canberra. Wasn't shopping, was shooting.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old January 29th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Politicians?

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"melinda" wrote in message
: Val wrote:
:
: "Sally Swindells"
wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: --
: Melinda
: http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old January 31st 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
melinda[_2_]

CATS wrote:
Politicians?

Nah, just metal silouhettes of animals. ;-)

By the way, I've made the NSW state team agian - national champs
start 29th Feb. Hoping my foot is better by then, and the sewing
machine. I've still got a lot of clothing to make before I can
get back to any sort of quilting stuff.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old January 31st 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

One thing I miss about all those years in the RAAF - when
someone gave you a really bad day you could always imagine
their face on those little cardboard silhouettes at the end
of the range! (OMG - I wonder if that was why I always
scored so high on my shoots?)

Good luck in the championships!
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) and ( Y )
Boofhead Donut Rasputin
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"melinda" wrote in message
: CATS wrote:
: Politicians?
:

Roll Call Braves Fan Quilting 1 September 23rd 07 11:53 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 04:03 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 02:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM