Fingerless mitts

Old December 9th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda D.

Default Fingerless mitts

Hi everyone,

I've been knitting Fingerless mitts that have a thumb. I have to cast
on three stitches after setting aside stitches for the thumb, and the
pattern says to use a backwards loop cast on. I tried it, but got a
not very nice hole. I switched to a cable cast on, and it looks
better, but I still get a hole that needs to be sewn up. It looks
fine, but I feel it could look better.

Does anyone have any other method to cast on those three stitches?

with thanks, Linda D. in B.C., Canada
Old December 9th 09, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Linda D. wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've been knitting Fingerless mitts that have a thumb. I have to cast
on three stitches after setting aside stitches for the thumb, and the
pattern says to use a backwards loop cast on. I tried it, but got a
not very nice hole. I switched to a cable cast on, and it looks
better, but I still get a hole that needs to be sewn up. It looks
fine, but I feel it could look better.

Does anyone have any other method to cast on those three stitches?

with thanks, Linda D. in B.C., Canada

Try picking up a stitch on either side of the cast on sts, then dec on
the next round.
Old December 9th 09, 12:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

I knit them , i mean k a stich turn right hand needle and move new st
to left hand needle, knit 2nd st , move to left needle , k 3rd st .
move to left needle, now go on knitting in the round
mirjam
Old December 9th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda D.

On Dec 9, 3:41*am, mirjam wrote:
I knit them , i mean k a stich turn right hand needle and move new st
to left hand needle, knit 2nd st , move to left needle , k 3rd st .
move to left needle, now go on knitting in the round
mirjam

Thanks Mirjam and Suzee,

I think I did what you mean Mirjam, and used the Knit-on cast on as
shown he
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

It looks much better than either the backwards loop cast on or cable
cast on. No hole at all!

Thanks for the suggestions...Linda D. in B.C., Canada
Old December 10th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Linda D. wrote:
On Dec 9, 3:41 am, mirjam wrote:
I knit them , i mean k a stich turn right hand needle and move new st
to left hand needle, knit 2nd st , move to left needle , k 3rd st .
move to left needle, now go on knitting in the round
mirjam

Thanks Mirjam and Suzee,

I think I did what you mean Mirjam, and used the Knit-on cast on as
shown he
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

It looks much better than either the backwards loop cast on or cable
cast on. No hole at all!

Thanks for the suggestions...Linda D. in B.C., Canada

I like the knit cast on best for adding a few sts that you'll pick up
again later. Cable is too thick and the loop is too loose and unpredictable.

sue
Old December 10th 09, 09:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

I think I did what you mean Mirjam, and used the Knit-on cast on as
shown hehttp://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

It looks much better than either the backwards loop cast on or cable
cast on. *No hole at all!

Thanks for the suggestions...Linda D. in B.C., Canada

Hallo Linda i looked atn the video , and it isn`t like i do it , i
really KNIT every new stich,,,, by this i gain a sort of nice start /
edge if you can find a book called
The Illustrated Dictionary of Knitting, by Rae, Compton, Interweave
Press, 1988, page 53 picture 86 , she calls it
The Two needle Chain edge method
try to google it maybe you will find it on line as well .
I do recommend having this book in you house !!!!!
mirjam
Old December 11th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda D.

On Dec 10, 12:52*am, mirjam wrote:
I think I did what you mean Mirjam, and used the Knit-on cast on as
shown hehttp://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

It looks much better than either the backwards loop cast on or cable
cast on. *No hole at all!

Thanks for the suggestions...Linda D. in B.C., Canada

Hallo Linda i looked atn the video , and it isn`t like i do it , i
really KNIT every new stich,,,, by this i gain a sort of nice start /
edge if you can find a book called
The Illustrated Dictionary of Knitting, by Rae, Compton, Interweave
Press, 1988, page 53 picture 86 , she calls it
The Two needle Chain edge method
try to google it maybe you will find it on line as well .
I do recommend having this book in you house !!!!!
mirjam

Hi Mirjam,

I haven't found the cast on you mention online yet, and I don't have
the book.

Is it what we call a Cable cast on, where you place your needle
between the stitches on the left needle, knit a stitch, twist it, and
transfer the stitch on to the left needle?
As shown he http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

I often use a Cable cast on, but it didn't look very good on the
fingerless mitts, the knit on cast on worked out much better, and no
hole was created.

thanks, Linda D. in B.C., Canada
Old December 12th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Linda D. wrote:
[...]

I found the 2 needle chain edge CO that Mirjam mentions -
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...itting-208340/

It's kind of a twisted knit cast on, might make a little firmer edge
than the standard knit CO.

sue
Old December 12th 09, 07:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

I found the 2 needle chain edge CO that Mirjam mentions -http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-cast-on-using-the-two-...

It's kind of a twisted knit cast on, might make a little firmer edge
than the standard knit CO.

sue- Hide quoted text -

Sue the film shows indeed what i do , with one difference , once i
slide the left needle into the new stitich iDO NOT take out the right
needle since it is already in a `position` to knit the next stitch ,,
saves loads of time and yiu knit=caston in a whippi
mirjam
Old December 12th 09, 10:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda D.

On Dec 11, 10:15*pm, mirjam wrote:
I found the 2 needle chain edge CO that Mirjam mentions -http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-cast-on-using-the-two-...

It's kind of a twisted knit cast on, might make a little firmer edge
than the standard knit CO.

sue- Hide quoted text -

Sue the film shows indeed what i do , with one difference , once i
slide the left needle into the new stitich iDO NOT take out the right
needle since it is already in a `position` to knit the next stitch ,,
saves loads of time and yiu knit=caston in a whippi
mirjam

Hi Sue,

Thanks for posting the link. If you compare it to the link I posted,
which is this one
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on
and scroll down to Knitting-On it's the same cast on, and it's the one
I used.
It works great for casting on the stitches when doing the thumb.

....Linda D. in B.C., Canada

Lovers mitts pattern Not Likely Yarn 0 October 26th 07 10:32 PM
Got comments RE my fingerless mittens Leah Yarn 13 February 26th 06 05:29 PM
double knit mitts norma woods Yarn 2 May 2nd 05 03:38 AM
Anyone know about Insulite or Insulbrite for oven mitts? Quil Quilting 7 January 15th 04 11:31 PM
micro mitts? miss mandy Sewing 2 December 31st 03 10:38 PM