Taking a break

Old April 7th 04, 08:09 PM
KJ

Default Taking a break

I shouldn't have done it! In anticipation of having a group for dinner on
Sunday, I looked at the glasses in my china cabinet. You ARE supposed to be
able to see through crystal glasses aren't you? Darn! But in honor of my
dear sweet mother in law who gave me her beautiful glassware when she moved
to a smaller apartment (and died in January), I'm carefully hand washing and
drying each one....with a linen towel just as she did. I'm almost wishing
she hadn't given me so MANY! I left my rings on while washing and they are
looking pretty sparkly too!
Would it be cheating very much if I only washed the glass shelves and
glasses? Could I leave the glass shelves with the pottery dishes I'm not
using alone? I'll leave the lights off in the cabinet. I still need to
figure out a menu. My family could overdose on ham and a couple potoato
casseroles and desserts, but that doesn't look very classy for company.
There should be some obligatory vegetables and fruit.

--
Kathyl

remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Old April 7th 04, 09:43 PM
Martha in IN

Forget the shelves with the pottery. Leave the lights in the china cabinet
off, light some candles and have fun.
Martha

Old April 8th 04, 12:56 AM
CNYstitcher

and if you still have trouble with the glasses, a vinegar/water mix
sometimes help get them super shiny

Old April 8th 04, 01:23 AM
Sharon Harper

Serve 'em on your best dishes and they instantly become classy. Discovered
that trick with a simple Caesar a la Sharon - stick it in a big crystal
bowl, add some sliced capsicums/peppers for colour and voila - looks more
hoity toity/la de da/pretty!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

Old April 8th 04, 02:15 PM
Roberta Zollner

Are there any actual cobwebs on any of this stuff? Dead mice or beetles? No,
didn't think so. Now take a deep breath. Dust off the top plate in each
stack if you really have to. Being able to see through the crystal is just
fine and already more than anyone has the right to ask.
Roberta in D

Old April 8th 04, 02:18 PM
Roberta Zollner

Oh, and if you want more veggies in their lives, put out a big plate of
crunchy raw carrots, peppers, radishes, celery, snow peas, or whatever and
make sure they have a spare 45 minutes to wait before they get to eat.
Roberta in D

Old April 8th 04, 02:38 PM
KJ

No the dead mice are in the basement furnace room. That's DH's job...he
monitors the traps and is getting pretty good with the mouse trap fling.
Those suckers really fly! I, on the other hand, pretty much flung it at my
feet the one time I tried to rid a trap while he was gone on a trip.
As far as beetles....they are everywhere!!! We had a terrible Fall with box
elder bugs and Asian beetles (they look like sweet lady bugs..but they
AREN'T). I had hoped the winter would kill them off, but I've been killing
them in the house all winter. Spraying kills the ones that are there at the
moment, but doesn't seem to lessen the number coming in behind them. Stupid
bugs!!!
The glassware is clean and looks really pretty. The dishes are dusted.
Both my ovens have been cleaned. I'm machine embroidering white linen
napkins with Easter motifs and my guests names. I got the napkins at
Tuesday Morning, 12 for 19.99, and they are very well made. They even have
an insert of the open lace that looks like a ladder...I can't remember the
term...my Martha Pullen days are long behind me....entredeux???? Something
like that comes to mind. Before you think that's too "Martha"..... I can
send the napkins home with my guests and I don't have to do the laundry!!!
hahahaha

--
Kathyl

remove "nospam-" before mchsi