flat round peyote stitch?

Old November 5th 04, 07:04 PM
Amber

Default flat round peyote stitch?

I've been working on making a little round peyote box, and so far I've
been pleased with the results..except when it comes to making the
bottom and lid. I looked up a tutorial for even count flat round
peyote stitch, but no matter how carefully I follow it, I end up with
a round piece of peyote that's ruffled rather than flat. I've tried
relaxing the thread tension, but that just gave me a very floppy
ruffly piece. I tightened the thread tension and got a rigid ruffled
piece. Has anyone followed these directions with success?

http://rogue.northwest.com/~ahawley/flatround.htm

If anyone knows of some better instructions, please point me in that
direction, cause otherwise I'm going to have bottomless, topless
boxes.

-Amber.
Old November 5th 04, 08:27 PM
Valerie

I haven't tried it, but are you culling your beads properly? Different sized
beads could be a culprit to make it ripple...

Valerie

--
RCB FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/faqrcb
RCB Member Links newest home: http://www.blackcatbeads.com/rcb.htm

om...

Old November 5th 04, 08:42 PM
Cheri2Star

I looked up a tutorial for even count flat round
peyote stitch, but no matter how carefully I follow it, I end up with
a round piece of peyote that's ruffled rather than flat.

It sounds like you're increasing too much. Nothing else I can think of would
make it ruffle except that. Cut back to one bead increase instead of two, or
to every third row instead of every second and see how that works for you.
HTH

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)

It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive - Bon Jovi
Old November 5th 04, 09:52 PM
Christina Peterson

What? Me follow directions? Usually when I want to make round potholders
in crochet, or round/spiral peyote, the proportion that works for me is to
add 7 beads per"circle". But because bead proportion (diameter to width)
vary, it will depend on the beads you use. If your circle ruffles, you are
using to many beads. There is no way to correct this, you have to re-do.

Tina

om...

Old November 6th 04, 02:33 PM
Amber

"Valerie" wrote in message ...
I haven't tried it, but are you culling your beads properly? Different sized
beads could be a culprit to make it ripple...

Valerie

yep..the beads I've been using are all very uniform in size, and any
misshapen/skinny/thick ones get culled when I come across them.

I did find a better set of instructions right after I posted the first
message, and those ended up working perfectly. the set I was using did
have too many increases (as someone else mentioned), which was making
my piece ruffle really badly.

-Amber.
Old November 6th 04, 02:41 PM
Amber

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message ...
What? Me follow directions? Usually when I want to make round potholders
in crochet, or round/spiral peyote, the proportion that works for me is to
add 7 beads per"circle". But because bead proportion (diameter to width)
vary, it will depend on the beads you use. If your circle ruffles, you are
using to many beads. There is no way to correct this, you have to re-do.

Tina

yeah..that's what I figured after I found a different set of
instructions that produced a perfectly flat, round piece with
absolutely no ruffles. It had fewer increases. There was no way for me
to exactly follow the first set of instructions without ending up with
a ruffled piece.

I'd also managed to produce a flat round(ish) piece without any
instructions at all, but wanted to look for a tutorial cause mine
wasn't as neat/even as I wanted it to be, and I lacked the patience to
sit and work out the formula myself.

-Amber.

Peyote Woes, help request Diana Curtis Beads 39 October 17th 04 04:32 AM
My first peyote piece Candace Beads 21 June 7th 04 07:52 AM
Herringbone Stitch Questions Arondelle Beads 11 January 31st 04 02:42 AM
flat round peyote graph alia Beads 0 October 22nd 03 06:37 PM
I just learned brick stitch mªdcªt Beads 1 October 13th 03 04:11 AM