OT word of the day

Old October 20th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

Default OT word of the day

Since it's election season, how about canvass? As in "to canvass the
vote."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/canvass

The sources all say it comes from "to toss in a canvas sheet," but
that is not helpful.
Toss the ballots? Toss the voters? Just two voters, mixed gender,
tossing (hmmm)? (Or, these days, same gender?) Does the length of the
tossing-time affect the outcome of the vote? How big was the sheet
used for tossing -- sail-sized? bed-sized? apron-sized? handkerchief-
sized?

Nann

On Oct 14, 6:36*pm, (NightMist) wrote:
Dunno how long I'll keep it up, or if I will last even a week, but I
thought it might be fun to toss out a word a day and try to keep it to
textile terms.
They may not be new words for everybody, but hey it doesn't cost
anything. (G)

Today because I used the term once and puzzled people here, and
because it was near the front of the dictionary:

CALENDER. To smooth woollen cloths, and give them a gloss.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Old October 20th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

Fulling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulling
The person who does the fulling is a fuller . . . which is my SD's
husband's surname and thus also the DGDs' surname.

And Fuller Brush, of course, though I doubt that Mr. Fuller used his
brushes for fulling.

Nann
Old October 21st 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

French Seam

One of the seam varieties in which all raw edges are enclosed.

Sew a quarter inch seam with the wrong sides of the fabric together,
trim closely, press the seam with the right sides of the fabric
together, sew a quarter inch seam, press to finish.

Very handy if you don't have a serger.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old October 21st 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:31:19 -0700 (PDT), Nann
wrote:

Fulling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulling
The person who does the fulling is a fuller . . . which is my SD's
husband's surname and thus also the DGDs' surname.

And Fuller Brush, of course, though I doubt that Mr. Fuller used his
brushes for fulling.

Fuller's teasel!
It is called that because the seed head looks like something a fuller
would use. Or heck maybe they did use it upon a time.

NightMist

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old October 21st 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Fuller's teasel!
It is called that because the seed head looks like something
a fuller would use. Or heck maybe they did use it upon a time.

Probably still do, in some places. They certainly were used for
brushing up a nap on cloth until the Industrial Revolution.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====

Old October 22nd 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh, how funny!
I've learned so much in my life (so far!) and I've never known that.
Logical, though!
..
In message pfxLk.3158$fF3.1936@edtnps83, Bernardin vOLMAN
writes
"NightMist" wrote in message
French Seam

One of the seam varieties in which all raw edges are enclosed.

Sew a quarter inch seam with the wrong sides of the fabric together,
trim closely, press the seam with the right sides of the fabric
together, sew a quarter inch seam, press to finish.

Very handy if you don't have a serger.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 22nd 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

But here in England they are French!!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old October 22nd 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Moire
Watermarked
Watered Silk

All of the above could refer to the same fabric, though the last is
fiber specific.

Fabric which has a wavy surface apearance as if it were watermarked.
Each fabric must be treated somewhat differently to achieve the
effect, but the final effect is what the name refers to. Water is
seldom involved, and calendering is usually what is used to achieve
the look. Whereas wool will come out with a flat glazed appearance
when this is done, silk and several other fibers (the other fiber
fabrics often being corded or heavily slubbed to enhance the result)
will crush differently and give the watermarked look. The fabric is
often starched or otherwise sized to maintain the resulting pattern.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

need a word nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 6 March 20th 08 01:54 PM
OT one more new word Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 39 March 13th 08 01:46 PM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 07:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 05:07 PM