Semi-OT - forum censorship

Old April 5th 05, 06:38 AM
Kalera Stratton

Default Semi-OT - forum censorship

I have recently found out that Wetcanvas is actively censoring certain
links (to other forums) out of private messages between users... and
this really upsets me. I personally have made furthering accurate
information about lampworking one of my core values, and it breaks my
heart to see a popular company that actively seeks to "protect" its
customers from other sources of information. WC is now a for-profit
company, and profit has for some time gradually been rising over the
sharing of information as their primary goal.

I can't talk about this freely on WC, so I am talking about it freely
here, since I don't run the risk of censorship and this is a completely
uninvolved place. I'm really, really upset about this; although I had
some time ago made the decision not to post any tutorials to WC (I am
not giving a profit-seeking company my hard work for free) and have been
wavering on the decision of whether to advertise with them. Well, that
decision is made; my dollars go elsewhere. I spend over $2000/yr on
advertising and not a penny of it will go to them... meanwhile, I WILL
be contributing, financially and otherwise, to not-for-profit forums
like www.Artglassforum.com and www.ISGB.org, not to mention putting my
body and voice in places where I think I can make a difference, like
here.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old April 5th 05, 06:48 AM
KDK

I saw that too - I was very surprised.

There's also so many rules now about what you can post and where you can
post it I mostly just read the lobby and look for cat pics

I can't help but compare it to the kayaking board - similar concepts but so
different in execution. The owner of that board now takes ads too, and you
can "buy" a membership - but the only time the admins intervene is when the
guys (it's almost always males) get to abusive name calling and/or threats
(real or not they are against the user agreement).

Good for you on your decision!!

Kathy k

Old April 5th 05, 07:22 AM
VManes

From the WC User Agreement:
"The Private Messaging system we use is a facility only available to
registered members of WetCanvas!. Private messages are stored on our server.
We will not open your private messaging folders except to investigate a
report of abuse, to protect our servers, or if required to do so by law. "

If they are viewing/editing private messages (as opposed to public posts),
they are in violation of their own rules, and that's a pretty egregious
invasion of privacy.

Some of their other rules also seem pretty draconian, protecting/promoting
their "member partners" but gagging other business associated persons.

Oh, well, no loss to me, never used it.

Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

Old April 5th 05, 12:49 PM
Beadbimbo

What a shame! I have to admit, I rarely look at WC anymore unless someone
wants me to see something there and e-mails me a link. I just don't have
time to go through it all.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old April 5th 05, 12:59 PM
Charlie

I really enjoy the wearable art show and tell, it gives me loads of
inspiration! I save all the photo's of jewellery that I love in a folder
and then look through it when my muse needs a kick up the arse!

Charlie.

"Beadbimbo" wrote in message
What a shame! I have to admit, I rarely look at WC anymore unless someone
wants me to see something there and e-mails me a link. I just don't have
time to go through it all.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

with

Old April 5th 05, 02:02 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Is this stated somewhere?

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: penguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
(Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com.
Shopping carts, blogs, image galleries, content management and more!

Old April 5th 05, 02:58 PM
Moonraker

Oh, boo hoo.

Geez. It's "their" website/forum. They can do what they want, including
making a friggin' profit, banning fools, and monitoring content!

One nice thing about the internet is that there is no shortage of domain
names and web servers. You don't like somebody's website or forum? Start
yer own with yer own precious "core values", already. Let's see how long
YOU remain non-profit and altruistic.

You need to get a life if some forum has you "really, really upset". It's
a simple solution: Just don't go there any more.

Old April 5th 05, 04:53 PM
Kandice Seeber

Thank you for pointing this out, Kalera - the WC situation has been
bothering me for some time - especially since they still actively ask for
"donations" from the members to "keep the site going", because it's a
"valuable resource for artists" and it costs a lot to keep the site
operational (beg, beg, beg). That would be fine if they weren't selling
advertisements and vendor forums for profit, and censoring everyone's posts
for "offending links". I think it's unethical to do both those things.
WC claims to be doing everyone a favor by being available. For Profit
websites aren't doing favors - they are in business to make money. That in
and of itself is fine, as long as they don't masquerade as a community
service.
I don't like the censorship, and haven't for a long time, because it's
biased based on the whim of the moderation team. They keep telling us that
they don't play favorites, but in fact, they do. Evidence of that is pretty
clear, all over the Glass Art boards.
I wouldn't buy advertising there.
I still read the boards and post on a rare occasion, because like it or not,
that is the place everyone goes to trade information. But I have to tell
you - if the attitude of the guys who run Art Glass Forum were better, I
would be over there in a flash. But I find them to be almost as one sided
as the people at WC. As a female beadmaker, I really have never felt welcome
there. And ISGB is fine, but somewhat elitist, so I am almost afraid to
post there.
As it sits, I am somewhat dissatisfied with many of the forums out there -
so maybe it's just me. LOL

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old April 5th 05, 05:01 PM
Kandice Seeber

Completely uncalled for. Kalera raised some great points, and your
abrasive, abusive post makes you appear very unintelligent and belligerent.
WC has had problems for a long time, and there are many people who feel this
way about it. It's her right to call them out on censoring private
messages, and to let the beadmaking community know about it. It's called
"word of mouth" and it's very effective.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old April 5th 05, 05:50 PM
Moonraker

Then Kalera needs to keep her whining over on the bead forums and not in
rec.crafts.glass.

WC is paying for web server space and providing a forum. You don't like the
way they do things? TOUGH. It's their game, it's their rules. Get over
it, or get gone. Nobody should ever have the expectation of privacy in
posting "private" messages on a public forum. What dreamworld are you
living in?