ironing board cover

Old November 10th 04, 05:44 AM
Polly Esther

My ironing board is living right now on the left side of my SM to support
whatever quilt I'm sewing. My little board (June Tailor Quilter's Square) is
okay but only for little things.
Truly desperate, I spied a hunk - about 60" square of the silver sort of
cloth I bought for backing potholders.That project only lasted for part of a
potholder. Just hold on, the discovery is coming.
I took my folding cardboard cutting board - the kind we used to use for
dressmaking, no good for rotary cutting - and folded the edges of the cloth
around to the backside. Attached with duct tape.
It sure is nice to be able to press a big area; would not be safe for
leaving the iron down. So far, so good.
I suppose I could buy another ironing board but I do have a reputation
to maintain. Polly

Old November 10th 04, 09:14 AM
Kate Dicey

Pauline O'Connell wrote:

Am I the only one that doesn't like this ironing board cover? Mine stained
so badly whenever water spilled on it, it looks disgusting! Plus, it
definitely retains the heat - more than I would like. When I tried to iron
silks, it was very slippery (not that I iron a lot of silks, but still . .
..), so I don't like it for slippery type fabrics. Now, I see that it is
coming apart from the edge, so I won't be buying another one. I'd be
happier getting one from Target if that is my best choice, but I'll be
curious to hear other feedback.

I have a large Brabantia board, now over 20 years old and made of chip
board. I upholster it.

1 layer of greaseproof/silicon paper
1 layer of foil to reflect heat
2 layers of 'ironing board felt'
1 layer of boiled heavy duty calico/muslin

I lay the stuff down on the floor in reverse order, place the inverted
ironing board on top, cut round it, and staple the calico to the back of
the board with the trusty staple gun. It gives me a nice non slip firm
padding that takes years to wear out. The calico can be replaced well
before the rest if it gets stained. You can catch a glimpse of it in
several pix on my site - especially in the ones with James doing his
quilts and me doing the red beaded dress.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 10th 04, 04:00 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Pauline O'Connell" wrote in message
. com...
Kathy,

I think I just read that Scharffenberger is making milk chocolate now - I
don't care for dark chocolate, although I know chocolate snobs say that is
the only really good chocolate!

Will you get a chance to go to New Pieces while you are here too?

Pauline

Yeah, they make a milk chocolate. But I'm allergic to milk, so count me with
the chocolate snobs.

I'm not sure I'll be able to fit in New Pieces. I can't make it to both New
Pieces and Scharffen Berger before the meeting. The meeting is supposed to
let out at 3, which means I'll need to hit the road immediately or be stuck
in traffic for hours. But then, if the meeting gets out late, well there's
no sense trying to leave Berkeley at 4, is there? Especially when there's
New Pieces and Stone Mountain? *evil grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old November 10th 04, 05:49 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Pauline O'Connell" wrote:

Kathy,

I think I just read that Scharffenberger is making milk chocolate now - I
don't care for dark chocolate, although I know chocolate snobs say that is
the only really good chocolate!

They do make milk chocolate. It is still darker than most candybar
brands of dark chocolate (like say, Hershey's special dark) so if you
like light, milky milk chocolate, it still might be too dark for you.

I think it's pretty yummy but their bittersweet is my favorite.

marcella
Old November 10th 04, 08:57 PM
Roberta Zollner

The Brabantia cover to fit my board lasts a couple of years with hard use.
And even then it could go quite a lot longer, but I can't stand when it
looks so grubby. (I am not a gentle ironing board owner.) Don't know how the
price compares to Wally's.
Roberta in D

"Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote in message
Okay - sigh.........
I am tired of buying a new ironing board cover at WalMart every 3 or 4
months. I need one that will serve a QUILTER! What have you guys found,
and where, that you liked and that lasted?

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -

Oscar
Wilde *
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
www.SimplyMusic.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old November 12th 04, 10:27 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:53:35 GMT, "Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @
mchsi.com wrote:

Okay - sigh.........
I am tired of buying a new ironing board cover at WalMart every 3 or 4
months. I need one that will serve a QUILTER! What have you guys found,
and where, that you liked and that lasted?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

I took an old wool blanket - about 50 pence in a church sale - and
covered the iron board with that. On top of that, I put an old sheet.
I sewed the whole contraption together across the bottom. The wool
really reflects the heat, and it was cheaper than one of those silver
things.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old November 15th 04, 11:16 PM
Jessamy

For??

jessamy _ this darned keyboard is still no good and never will be - it is
somehow mucking up the system all o its own - too wierd!!

"Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com schreef in bericht
Jessamy, you have my address, right?............

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -

Oscar
Wilde *
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
www.SimplyMusic.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made my own

from good quality, but cheap cotton and I used my usual batting

underneath -
it can take anything a quilt can

--
Jessamy

Old November 16th 04, 02:39 AM
Queen of Squishies

Silly girl. For making me my own ironing board cover! ; )

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--

For??

jessamy _

Old November 19th 04, 02:44 PM
Jessamy

ok but you have to send me your ironing board first so I can make it fit
perfectly

--
Jessamy ( darn these keyboards! I'm on my third in three weeks!)
In The Netherlands