The Dying SG Retail Store

Old June 18th 05, 12:43 AM

I have no intention of wasting time answering questions from someone
whose idea of a civil debate is to tell me to screw off because I don't
agree with them.

Old June 18th 05, 04:14 AM
Glassman

This was not intended by me to be a debate. I'm getting older and
grayer, so I thought I'd just let you "youngersters" know how I feel about
this industry trend. I grew up in an urban city where everything you ever
needed was around the corner or a block away. The big enclosed mall opened
up and then poof.... the mom & pop stores went belly up over a decade or so.
Then came the superstores, mega chains, Walmarts, Home Depots, internet
sellers.. blah blah blah.... It's the natural course of things. Folks love
the small shop touch, but in reality they won't pay an extra nickel for it.
They'd rather drive 50 miles and save a dollar... or shop in their underwear
online. It's human nature I guess?
The only social commentary I make is that I miss those olden
neighborhood days. Your local SG shop, where perhaps 90% of us saw or
learned the craft for the first time, will be history very shortly. No new
generation of glasscutters will need to be trained. Everything you need will
simply be bought online or from China. You want to learn? Get a library
book.
Java was taking about areas and rents and such. Try to relate to this,
especially you rural folks. I own a small 1200 sq/ft storefront here way
off any main road. One floor, no basement. My taxes alone are $10,000 a
year. Can I make beads and survive? Now this may really shock you. In a 20
sq/mile area there are over 6 million people. I think there are 3-4 SG
retail stores. None are alike in what they do.
To Kalera. You must understand that as a wise old fool, I've seen so
many new trends in glass come and go that were surefire winners. I bet the
ranch yours will be gone too. Do you remember the recent rage of Stepping
Stones & mosaics? How about Kaeidoscopes? Fused jewelry? Wait I'll take you
back to the stone age when EVERY student was wild about making SG boxes and
lampmaking! Everyone of the above was killed by Chinese imports. By the way
rule #27.... never post your picture on your website, unless you are very
thickskinned. Moonraker is a cad. I think you are beautiful. But then again
I loved Mama Cass as well!
Dennis is a tough survivior, Andy is a great guy trying to survive. You
2 have alot more in common than you probably will ever agree to. We all
have our niches being invaded on a daily basis now. What to do? Go back to
working harder doing what we do best, or throwing it all away and open yet
another cell phone store?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old June 18th 05, 01:34 PM
Kitty

"Glassman" wrote in message
[...]

I have to agree with most of what you say. I too am somewhat "older" and my
values have changed. I believe we must preserve American business and "mom &
pop" stores. When I travel around the country, I specifically LOOK for "mom
& pop" stores. The demise of these businesses, is a very negative impact on
this country----i.e, farms, stained glass stores, bakeries....eventually we
will end up with 1 megastore for everything. I pray I don't live that long
to see it. IMHO, we should support American ventures, as much as possible. I
don't subscribe to the "new world order". I try to buy my supplies from my
local SG store as well as yes believe it or not an independent local
hardware!

Kitty

Old June 18th 05, 05:39 PM

Dennis wrote:
I have no intention of =A0wasting time answering questions from someone
whose idea of a civil debate is to tell me to screw off because I don't

agree with them.

Yeah well, for someone who's long voiced his opinon that most retailers
are gougin I don't think I want to even give you a chance to debate
anything either. You've basically said "screw you" to the majority of
retailers anyway.

Old June 18th 05, 06:28 PM

Kity wrote in part:
I specifically LOOK for "mom
& pop" stores. The demise of these businesses, is a very negative
impact on
this country----i.e, farms, stained glass stores,
bakeries....eventually we
will end up with 1 megastore for everything.

Ever take a trip along Route 66? At one time it used to be THEE only
route to take to really see America. Now, half the road is gone and
most of the towns along the way are almost gone...lot's of poor folks
and such. A real loss of true Americana.

Andy

Old June 18th 05, 10:14 PM
Kitty

wrote in message
oups.com...
Kity wrote in part:
I specifically LOOK for "mom
& pop" stores. The demise of these businesses, is a very negative
impact on
this country----i.e, farms, stained glass stores,
bakeries....eventually we
will end up with 1 megastore for everything.

Ever take a trip along Route 66? At one time it used to be THEE only
route to take to really see America. Now, half the road is gone and
most of the towns along the way are almost gone...lot's of poor folks
and such. A real loss of true Americana.

Andy

Regretfully, no. I always wanted to tho. Now its probably not worth the time
...all changed and garish glitter....

Kitty

Old June 18th 05, 10:39 PM

Regretfully, no. I always wanted to tho. Now its probably not worth the
time
...all changed and garish glitter....

Kitty

I used to think that was the case. Now I try to do things whenever I
get the chance. Might not be a tomorrow. Besides, Route 66 is still
worth seeing despite the condition. I just wish I was 20-30 younger!!

Andy

Old June 19th 05, 01:29 AM
Kitty

wrote in message
oups.com...
Regretfully, no. I always wanted to tho. Now its probably not worth the
time
..all changed and garish glitter....

Kitty

I used to think that was the case. Now I try to do things whenever I
get the chance. Might not be a tomorrow. Besides, Route 66 is still
worth seeing despite the condition. I just wish I was 20-30 younger!!

Andy

you and me both !!!! I'm 53 --sometimes feel 80, other times feel 18
[rare]

Kitty

Old June 19th 05, 05:31 AM
Glassman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Kity wrote in part:
I specifically LOOK for "mom
& pop" stores. The demise of these businesses, is a very negative
impact on
this country----i.e, farms, stained glass stores,
bakeries....eventually we
will end up with 1 megastore for everything.

Ever take a trip along Route 66? At one time it used to be THEE only
route to take to really see America. Now, half the road is gone and
most of the towns along the way are almost gone...lot's of poor folks
and such. A real loss of true Americana.

Andy

Make sure you stop at my fav 66 place.... the Roadkill Cafe.

Old June 19th 05, 06:04 AM
nJb

Glassman wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Kity wrote in part:
I specifically LOOK for "mom
& pop" stores. The demise of these businesses, is a very negative
impact on
this country----i.e, farms, stained glass stores,
bakeries....eventually we
will end up with 1 megastore for everything.

Ever take a trip along Route 66? At one time it used to be THEE only
route to take to really see America. Now, half the road is gone and
most of the towns along the way are almost gone...lot's of poor folks
and such. A real loss of true Americana.

Andy

Make sure you stop at my fav 66 place.... the Roadkill Cafe.

My favorite place is Amboy, California. I enjoy hearing the silence
broken by the wind blowing through what's left of the town. I especially
enjoy looking over the sight of a former gas station/restaurant that
refused to give me cold water for my canteen when I bought a hamburger
while hitchhiking through in July 1971. I drive through, stop, and ****
on the site every chance I get.

--
Jack

Plonked by Native American

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/

Starting a Discount Fabric Store Pat Sewing 16 April 3rd 04 10:30 PM
Huge Stash Sale: XS, Crewel, Needlept, ETC! Rhayne Marketplace 0 March 1st 04 05:59 AM
AD: eBay store is restocked! Mj Beads 11 February 16th 04 02:43 AM
AD ~ Grand eBay Store reopening!! Mj Beads 0 January 7th 04 09:34 PM
AD ~ New stuff in the store - including HILLTRIBE SILVER PENDANTS!! Mj Beads 4 August 18th 03 09:46 PM